Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Removal of J Gumbo fence and flowers downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Removal of J Gumbo fence and flowers downtown

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 207 total)
  • Author

somertimeoh
    Participant

Walker said:
    Today’s lunch was a dramatic PR move, but in all fairness, I see Coleman pretty regularly as a customer at Downtown businesses. He’s at Cafe Brioso very regularly.

Yes, but does he tweet every media outlet in the city before he goes to grab a cup of coffee? ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

somertimeoh said:
    Yes, but does he tweet every media outlet in the city before he goes to grab a cup of coffee? ;)

Yeah, today is a total PR extravaganza. No doubt.

Just pointing out that Coleman does spend time at local Downtown businesses otherwise. He does walk the walk when it comes to the whole “Live, work, play” Downtown thing.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

I did not get photos of the two of them when Kasich put his arm around Coleman and said something along the lines that the two of them working together could solve big problems.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Walker said:

Just pointing out that Coleman does spend time at local Downtown businesses otherwise. He does walk the walk when it comes to the whole “Live, work, play” Downtown thing.

I used to see Coleman at downtown business fairly often between 2005 and 2009. I have not seen him as often during the last few years. He was a regular at Quiznos, but it closed a few years ago.

somertimeoh
    Participant

Anyone spot Kelsey chowing down on a pot roast sandwich at Tip Top? :P

*Man, that was dumb. I’m seriously angry at my poor excuse for a lunch now.*

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Another picture of the dynamic duo, this timeout is the governor making a gesture.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Press Release:
    Mayoral Candidate Earl Smith Voices Support for Gay Street Entrepreneurial Businesses

Mayoral candidate Earl Smith joined concerned Gay Street business people and supporters as they questioned City officials regarding what is little less than harassment for those located on Gay Street in downtown Columbus.

Candidate Smith stated, “These people took a chance an invested their blood, sweat, tears and money into an area that provided more than enough challenges to begin with. Yet now they find themselves battling various City officials who seem intent on making it impossible to conduct business downtown. That’s just plain wrong and utterly counter-intuitive.”

Smith went on to say, “There are few things that kill more jobs and small businesses then too many unnecessary rules and regulations. I want the first words of the mouths of City employees to become, “How can we assist you today?” The problem does not lie with the many caring city employees. It lies with an administration that kills any real initiative and common sense effort on the part of city employees for fear of anything ever going wrong. Time to man up and permit our city workers to take a real partnership role with these business people…the very sort of people our downtown needs to survive and to grow!”

joev
    Participant

Is the governor wearing dungarees and no tie? Now, that’s ice-cold!

cc

Walker said:

I don’t think the issue is about the downtown “live, work, play” thing. It is about the Mayor sitting down for a dramatic high profile photo-op after this issue hits the press when it could have been avoided if he had sat down with Kelsey when businesses began having problems two years ago.

Accoring to Liz, there had been many attempts at a dialog. It is sad that most of these small business victories seem media driven.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

berdawn

It sounds as though Mr. Smith needs a better understanding of the issue at hand: maybe he needs to man up and read more thoroughly that the problem is with one department administrator. but if he wants to continue to try to appear relevant, when then, this is the way to go.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

joev
    Participant

berdawn said:
    It sounds as though Mr. Smith needs a better understanding of the issue at hand: maybe he needs to man up and read more thoroughly that the problem is with one department administrator. but if he wants to continue to try to appear relevant, when then, this is the way to go.

I agree – he seems impervious to the fact that the regulations themselves aren’t something the city controls, or even the problem. The communication and consistency of enforcement of the regulations are the problem.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

Walker said:
    He does walk the walk when it comes to the whole “Live, work, play” Downtown thing.

I don’t think he has much of a choice when it comes to working there.

myliftkk
    Participant

I think the larger issue is the service given by DPS during the approval process is flawed and inadequate thus dissuading businesses from working with them in the first place. If a business owner crosses their t’s and dots their i’s, then the expectation of effective governance is that DPS will adjudicate the approval process with a result that is actually worth the paper it is written on.

Otherwise, there’s no point to a business even approaching DPS in the first place if their approval adjudication is so flimsy they’ll reverse it at the first scent of complaint. Better to avoid them altogether and risk discovery (which if you aren’t on Gay St., seems to work in your favor), than declare your intentions only to have them give an approval that is weightless. This whole scenario has the markings of a Kafka novel…

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 207 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION