Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Relocating to Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Relocating to Columbus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

oregontoohio
    Participant

Greetings, Columbus Underground!

My husband and I will be moving this summer to Columbus for grad school, and know next to nothing about your city.

We currently live in a small town in Oregon, although we lived most of our lives in Las Vegas, so we are familiar with large, diverse cities. We will be visiting in the spring to get a feel for the town, and to look at potential housing and would love some advice.

We are in our late 20s, no kids, 1 dog, foodies, enjoy the arts, craft beer, bike riding, parks, etc.

We’ve heard The Short North, German Village and the Brewery District are great locations to live in, but that’s only according to a few articles we’ve read.

Any advice, suggestions, or general information would be much appreciated!

substance
    Participant

Also should checkout Clintonville which is close to OSU

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Foodies and craft beer fans, huh? You will fit in, there’s a lot happening here.

But please keep the secret. Just tell people it’s GO BUCKS and flat cornfields.

edited to add, re: bikes > http://www.centralohiogreenways.com/

derm
    derm
    Participant

What is the budget? What school for grad school?
    Grandview or less expensive but similar 5th by NW
    Victorian Village
    Short North
    Clintonville
    Bexley or less expensive the KLD

catnfiddle
    Participant

Welcome! You might want to come out here for a week to look around. The different neighborhoods all have things in their favor, depending on whether you want to have the option of taking the bus to school, want to be closer to night life, or want to be where it’s quiet. Since you mentioned food and beer, you might want to try a tour with Columbus Food Adventures[/url] and its sister company Columbus Brew Adventures[/url]. The guides know the neighborhoods and their tastes.

SusanB
    Participant

Apartment or house? Yard for the dog? Garage? Garden? New build or older home? All of these variables will have a determining factor on which area you choose. I don’t know if Twixlen does rentals but she is a realtor on this message board and knows the city well.

rus
    rus
    Participant

derm said:
    What is the budget? What school for grad school?
    Grandview or less expensive but similar 5th by NW
    Victorian Village
    Short North
    Clintonville
    Bexley or less expensive the KLD

Good list right there.

oregontoohio
    Participant

Thanks to all of the people who’ve posted –Let’s see if I can answer all of your imposed questions…

Budget? We’d like to spend $1,500.00 or less on rent each month, but could probably stretch that a bit further if needed
    What grad program? Rhetoric & Composition
    Apartment or house? No preference, we just want something clean and in a safe area
    Also, we share one car, so we would love to be close to the bus if possible

I appreciate all of the suggestions, links and information. We will definitely keep these things in mind as we continue to prepare for our move.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Harrison West/Victorian village or Grandview

easy access to OSU, in that price range for either a house or apt. Lots of craft beer/brewery options, and all kinds of food from food trucks to white table cloth.

SusanB
    Participant

The difficult part will be finding a place that allows dogs.

oregontoohio said: What grad program? Rhetoric & Composition

I think they meant which school. We have a handful of universities in town with graduate programs.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

rus said:
    Good list right there.

Excuse me. Remember there is a little neighborhood called Olde Towne East. They can probably find a unit for rent that will accept a dog.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

oregontoohio said:
    Thanks to all of the people who’ve posted –Let’s see if I can answer all of your imposed questions…

Budget? We’d like to spend $1,500.00 or less on rent each month, but could probably stretch that a bit further if needed
    What grad program? Rhetoric & Composition
    Apartment or house? No preference, we just want something clean and in a safe area
    Also, we share one car, so we would love to be close to the bus if possible

I appreciate all of the suggestions, links and information. We will definitely keep these things in mind as we continue to prepare for our move.

I’d stick with the northern part of Victorian Village/Italian Village/Short North because that area will offer you the best access to OSU without being there while also being very walkable and having all the food/drink/grocery ect you need.

For a building:

I’d throw out Aston Place[/url] (in Victorian Village) as they accept pets, are close to the bus (High Street), newly built and within your price range.

Also check here: http://www.metro-rentals.com/

For a house: Craigslist probably will be the best.

TaraK
    Participant

I’m going to go against the grain and say that being close to OSU isn’t really necessary. My husband and I moved here 5 years ago when he began grad school and took that advice. We found Victorian Village/Short North to be exceptionally high in rent and the Clintonville area, which we love, was just so-so. We first moved to Old Town(e) East, then relocated to German Village, which we love. We got a pretty nice apartment for cheaper rent (which was surprising) in a nice, walkable neighborhood. It has fewer renters and more ownership, so we’ve made a lot of lasting friends.

I suppose my takeaway was proximity to campus shouldn’t be a deciding factor unless you’re carless. I work there as a staff, and I don’t want to necessarily BE RIGHT THERE all the time. I don’t want to live somewhere just because it makes my commute 5 minutes shorter, and all of the areas you’ve listed are going to be short commutes. Choose a place based on feel, culture, amenities. And since you have a dog, walkability and park proximity.

Do you plan to visit the city before the move?

geoyui
    Participant

TaraK said:
    I don’t want to live somewhere just because it makes my commute 5 minutes shorter, and all of the areas you’ve listed are going to be short commutes.

Yup, commute times in Cbus are pretty good (minus the occasional polar vortex). And if you don’t have a car and you choose a place generally south of OSU, you could use the CoGo[/url] bike system or car2go[/url] service.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: