Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

reliable auto mechanic?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A reliable auto mechanic?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author

agtw31

i don’t remember the name of the place,but it’s across the street from that Marathon on Grandview/Northwest Blvd.

my power steering pump went out,and instead of jacking me for $300,he told me to just go to Woody’s junkyard and get one there,and he’ll put it on.

he told me my car wasnt worth putting $300 in.lol

honest and smart guy.

Lakee911
    Participant

byJody wrote >>
    Two Thumbs up:
    Valentino’s Car Care
    (614) 486-2824
    1766 W 5th Ave
    Columbus, OH 43212
    in Grandview Heights

These guys were (are?) a sponser of the Formula SAE team at Ohio State. I remember going there and them letting us use their tire changing and wheel balancing equipment.

Never had any work done personally, but they seemed nice.

JR

I recently went to Best Motor Werks and was very happy and he is reasonible. Located at 3740 E 5th Avenue, Columbus, OH 43219
    http://www.bestmotorwerks.com

I also really like Dan at the Thurber Village BP located at 660 Neil Avenue, Columbus, OH 43215. (614) 224-9484. I find him reasonable plus he is a really really nice guy. Dan, his daughter and the other Dan are all good.

TaraK
    Participant

I wanted to update on my experience with Pat @ Atlas Auto.

This guy is great. Big thanks to Sherman and osulew for the rec. I second them for anyone looking for a mechanic.

Why I liked the place:

1. Pat is incredibly nice and friendly and will actually have an honest discussion with you about your car and what’s wrong with it. He won’t try to sell you anything unnecessary.
    2. They took my car in same-day. Awesome.
    3. He explained exactly what was wrong with my car, how that part worked, and what was going on with it. This was awesome. In my experience, mechanics usually assume a young female a) has no interest in or ability to understand the problem or b) get frustrated if they ask for detailed explanations and try to convolute the answer.
    4. Excellent price.

JimSweeney
    Participant

i want to second the kind words about Pat @ Atlas Auto. I’ve been going there for years and they have always taken excellent care of me on both small and large repairs. PLUS Pat always contributes free oil changes etc. to the FTON Board of Trade auction!

cyclist II
    Participant

JimSweeney wrote >>
    i want to second the kind words about Pat @ Atlas Auto. I’ve been going there for years and they have always taken excellent care of me on both small and large repairs. PLUS Pat always contributes free oil changes etc. to the FTON Board of Trade auction!

I also like the work Pat and them do for the FTON.

Does anyone have a Subaru? I had great mechanics on the west coast but I haven’t found anyone here yet. I though CARS in C-ville was a little steep ($90 to find nothing). I have tried calling the Subaru in Dublin for suggestions but they have the WORST service on the phone I have ever experienced. I need someone to do regular tune ups (check breaks, belts, oil, etc…)

drew
    Participant

carolinej144 wrote >>
    Does anyone have a Subaru? I had great mechanics on the west coast but I haven’t found anyone here yet. I though CARS in C-ville was a little steep ($90 to find nothing). I have tried calling the Subaru in Dublin for suggestions but they have the WORST service on the phone I have ever experienced. I need someone to do regular tune ups (check breaks, belts, oil, etc…)

Just sold our Forester, but had it serviced at Alternative Auto Care in the past and were happy with the results and price.

136 W. 5th Ave, 614.294.0580

paktinat

carolinej144 wrote >>

I do.

Best Subaru mechanic in c-bus IMHO:
    http://www.sigmatecautomotive.com/
    3045 Scioto Darby Exec. Ct.
    Hilliard, OH 43026

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

One of the belts on our 2000 Subaru Outback just died. It took out the alternator and the power steering. The other belt right next to it is in the process of dying.

So, does anyone know anyone who works on Subarus close to downtown?

UPDATE

Ha ha! I should have read the thread to the end before posting my question. The last few comments dealt with Subarus. I think we will try Alternative Auto Care.

pedex
    Participant

Alternative Auto Care is $90/hr plus 150-200% mark up on parts

they use car quest as a primary supplier and machine shop

I found them to be friendly but careless and relatively incompetent.

they could not fix my car even after 4 tries at what should have been a very routine repair part of which was car quests fault

nobody checked the parts list and for the first 2-3 attempts didn’t check their work with a simple hand test…..hint when putting wheel bearings back together if the hub doesn’t spin without binding, lots of friction, and/or noise you’ve got a problem

second, and this is aimed at car quest, OEM parts are on the car for a reason, you do not remove them then not put them back where they came from !!

thirdly and this is aimed at AAC, you don’t leave spark plug wires dangling in the radiator fan shroud….they get cut in half that way

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Thanks for the warning. I will try Pat at Atlas and see if he can help.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

atlas automotive 233 5206. tell them sherman sent ya. they are transmission mechanics by trade but they work on everything and anything. my suspicion if its loosing coolant it could be a number of things. intake gaskets, head gaskets, coolant system.pat is a good guy and CHEAP!

They must have gone out of business in the last 5 years. I tried calling and I got a robot telling me that AT&T could find me a similar business.

Finding a place downtown or close by would be nice. I could drop off the car then walk to work.

Walter_White
    Participant

Alternative Auto Care is $90/hr plus 150-200% mark up on parts

they use car quest as a primary supplier and machine shop

I found them to be friendly but careless and relatively incompetent.

they could not fix my car even after 4 tries at what should have been a very routine repair part of which was car quests fault

nobody checked the parts list and for the first 2-3 attempts didn’t check their work with a simple hand test…..hint when putting wheel bearings back together if the hub doesn’t spin without binding, lots of friction, and/or noise you’ve got a problem

second, and this is aimed at car quest, OEM parts are on the car for a reason, you do not remove them then not put them back where they came from !!

thirdly and this is aimed at AAC, you don’t leave spark plug wires dangling in the radiator fan shroud….they get cut in half that way

Ditto on Alternative Auto Care. They were an absolute mess and actually did more damage to my Sebring then when I took it in. I forced them to pay for a rental car for their incompetence and causing me to be without a vehicle for about a week longer than anticipated – and I will never go back there again. Shame, as the idea of an all women and all lesbian auto shop is pretty awesome….however, you need to have the knowledge to be worth a damn

OneBagTravel
    Participant

I do.

Best Subaru mechanic in c-bus IMHO:<br>
    http://www.sigmatecautomotive.com/<br>
    3045 Scioto Darby Exec. Ct.<br>
    Hilliard, OH 43026

Second this. When I had my Subaru, he was the best mechanic at the best price. His location isn’t the best though ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The 6th Annual Columbus Dessert Festival Returns!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO