Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

reliable auto mechanic?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A reliable auto mechanic?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author

TaraK wrote >>
    Not under warranty. I’m considering calling a shop called Don’t Car Care. Hate not having a go-to mechanic. Another downfall of being new to a city.

you should give pat a call then. just to add coolant he might do it for free. he that kinda guy. but i would ask him first…lol he does engine swaps for 500 bucks on most vehicles. i know thats not what your looking for but he saves folks lots of money especially when it comes to transmission repair. he rebuilt my 4L80 in my chevy for 1200 bucks! that was a savings of 1300 dollars.

TaraK
    Participant

I’ll definitely give him a call — thanks for the rec. Would you mind PMing me your last name in case he asks, “Sherman-who?” :) Being a young female, I’ll do anything to get a mechanic to treat me fairly. (Hence why I’ve been researching terminology and possible problems all morning.)

Generally speaking, how long does it take to get your car in the shop in Columbus? I ask because I’m wondering if it’s similar to the wait period for a doctor’s appt, which I’m also figuring out.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

TaraK wrote >>
    I’ll definitely give him a call — thanks for the rec. Would you mind PMing me your last name in case he asks, “Sherman-who?” :)

Oh he’ll know. :)
    Pat’s a good egg. He’s never done any work for me, but I’d take my car there in a hot second if it ever needed anything once the warranty is up.

misskitty
    Participant

CDS sherman wrote >>

TaraK wrote >>
    Not under warranty. I’m considering calling a shop called Don’t Car Care. Hate not having a go-to mechanic. Another downfall of being new to a city.

you should give pat a call then. just to add coolant he might do it for free. he that kinda guy. but i would ask him first…lol he does engine swaps for 500 bucks on most vehicles. i know thats not what your looking for but he saves folks lots of money especially when it comes to transmission repair. he rebuilt my 4L80 in my chevy for 1200 bucks! that was a savings of 1300 dollars.

This is good information.
    This will be the first person I call when I have a issue pop up on my car. I get so frustrated with some shop owners. You know the ones that use the line “ I can’t let you drive this away”.
    Uuugghhh so played put I have heard that line at least 20 times in my life you would think they would come up with something better. lol

Lakee911
    Participant

TaraK wrote >>
    Being a young female, I’ll do anything to get a mechanic to treat me fairly. (Hence why I’ve been researching terminology and possible problems all morning.)

It’s sad that people try to take advantage of young girls, or even young guys, that just don’t know any better. Kudos to you for doing the research and being able to tell them, “No … I don’t need any headlight fluid and I just replaced my muffler bearings.” :)

I don’t know of any of these places excepts C.A.R.S and Tong Da mentioned above, but I’m going to keep an eye on this thread.

Jason

misskitty wrote >>
    I get so frustrated with some shop owners. You know the ones that use the line “ I can’t let you drive this away”.
    Uuugghhh so played put I have heard that line at least 20 times in my life you would think they would come up with something better. lol

pat would love to see you drive it away and put the video on youtube…. like i said hes that kinda guy. ms lew any thoughts?

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

CDS sherman wrote >>

misskitty wrote >>
    I get so frustrated with some shop owners. You know the ones that use the line “ I can’t let you drive this away”.

pat would love to see you drive it away and put the video on youtube…. like i said hes that kinda guy. ms lew any thoughts?

Do I have thoughts on Pat and youtube videos? Lol.

Not really…just as I said before, Pat is a friend and a good guy and I wouldn’t hesitate at all for anyone male or female to take their car there. And I’d never worry that he’d not give you a fair deal for the work that needs done or that he’d do things that are unnecessary.

osulew wrote >>

CDS sherman wrote >>

misskitty wrote >>

Do I have thoughts on Pat and youtube videos? Lol.
    Not really…just as I said before, Pat is a friend and a good guy and I wouldn’t hesitate at all for anyone male or female to take their car there. And I’d never worry that he’d not give you a fair deal for the work that needs done or that he’d do things that are unnecessary.

pat’s a great guy and i wouldnt trust anyone else with my vehicles. after bernies in clintonville and buckeye nissan and goodale transmission all failed to diagnose a simple problem with my 90 nissan 300zx pat figured it out in about an hour. bernies charged me 250 bucks plus the cost of the clutch which was 227 dollars plus the cost of having the flywheel turned, all totaled almost 600 dollars and guess what, non of it was the issue…. they told me it was the clutch, the pilot bearing is bad. they put it all back together and it still knocked. i was livid! pat figured it out, turned out to be the rear main bearing on the crank. that taught me a good lesson about getting hosed at the mechanics.

sixby9is42

I’ve been going to Trabue Garage (3579 Trabue Road, 486-5488‎) for the past 3 years, and Majid (the owner) has always been great. He was referred through friends and co-workers. Before him, I went to Monro, and I probably paid at least twice of what I would’ve if I went to Majid first.

th0m
    Participant

cc

I have always found the AAA garage on Third Ave in Grandview to be fair and honest. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them.

berdawn

parker624 wrote >>
    I just wanted to give everyone an update: Blagoi’s was very professional and I am pleased with their work. They did not try to sell me anything I didn’t need. In fact, they told me it would be best to “wait and see” on the transmission rather than replace it, which was what the dealer had recommended. Blagoi’s gave me a discount on the work done and a warranty on the part they replaced. I would recommend them.

Keep me posted please. I have 3 and the transmission (my first auto in a looong time) stopped working while I was out of town a couple of years ago. It was under warranty, but the mechanic gave me a long, weird screw thing so that I could change gears and get home. when I got it to Byers, it worked just fine and has ever since, but I found that a lot of automatic 3s have issues.

byJody
    Participant

Two Thumbs up:

Valentino’s Car Care
    (614) 486-2824
    1766 W 5th Ave
    Columbus, OH 43212

in Grandview Heights

Fsonicsmith
    Participant

I am a huge fan of Blagoi’s and the OP probably read my positive review on Angie’s List. I have only gone to the East side location. They treat both me and my wife equally well. The previous poster who stated that they do great work but are not cheap is very accurate. My take is that unless the car is on it’s last legs, it’s better to pay for great work done right with no money wasted on false diagnoses(es) and unnecessary work. Despite not being cheap, they are still a bit less expensive the Volkswagen dealer on bigger things like drive belt replacements on our Passat. IIRC, the difference/savings was around $300. Blagois specializes in German cars and Mercedes in particular, but they will work on most makes. I think Blagoi himself spends most of his time at the Dublin location but I have met him and he is quite the character in a very good way. He obviously loves cars and is proud of his work and reputation.

derm
    derm
    Participant

Many good choices in the Grandview area. A shout out for ABS on 5th avenue near the Fortin and McDonalds.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO