Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

reliable auto mechanic?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A reliable auto mechanic?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author

parker624

My automatic transmission light came on yesterday in my 2004 Mazda3. It is riding fine, and Byers Mazda couldn’t find the problem, but charged me $100 to tell me that.

So…. I’m looking for a good, reliable auto mechanic who can diagnose and repair this problem without charging me an arm and a leg.

I live in Gahanna, so anything nearby would be the best.

I went on BBB and Blagoi’s got an A+ rating. Does anyone know anything about them?

drew
    Participant

Heard several people say they’ve liked Blagoi’s, but I have no first hand experience. For Japanese cars, Tong Da and CARS (both in Clintonville) get good word of mouth as well.

Tenzo
    Participant

They come highly recomended on Angie’s list.

Only negative comment is from a guy who said he left $500 in CDs in the car and they got stolen.

HeySquare
    Participant

I take my car to Blagoi’s on the east side (the one on Livingston.)

I’ve had generally positive experiences with them. They have never failed to diagnose a problem, and they are quick in getting things fixed (they have never had to keep my car for longer than a day.) They will call you with an evaluation of the problem, and tell you how much it will cost to fix it. They have also been good about recommending service for my car (but not being pushy about it).

They aren’t cheap. But they have generally gotten the job done for me. My only real complaint was when I had problems with my car alarm, they did an expensive fix, when they could have just shut off the alarm system, which someone suggested *after* I had the damn thing fixed. But to be fair… I’m sure I directed them to “fix it”… so there may have been a communication breakdown on that one.

rory
    Participant

Hudson Import Auto,they’re cheap, competent and cool to work with. 773 E Hudson St Columbus (614) 262-1522 Don’t be deterred by the neighborhood.

Roland
    Participant

If you can’t notice anything wrong with the car’s transmission, and neither can a 1st party Mazda technician. Maybe it really isn’t a big deal.

They should have at least been able to tell you what triggered the alert.

Coreroc

Just for the record no transmission problem is cheap!

If you have a high milage vehicle I recomend adding some Lucas Transmission fluid stabilizer. This stuff has a great ability to stick on gears and keep lubrication at it’s peak. The worst thing for a tranny is a lack of fluids!

Coreroc

Also you may want to check here as I have found great info on these kinds of forums many times.

mazda3forums.com

From my quick gogle search it looks like there are major tranny issues with this model and one note stated that one driver had to replace his tranny twice before he hit 70,000.

Good luck

parker624

I took it into Blagoi’s. The just called and said the wheel bearing is loose. Could this affect the transmission?

I just got a transmission flush at 60,000 miles (8000 miles ago). I’m keeping my fingers crossed that its just a computer glitch . . .

Thanks for the advice! I hate that I am totally hopeless when it comes to cars. They should teach you how a car works before you get your license, because I never would have known the wheel bearing was loose, i just thought my car was sounding louder because it was getting older!

parker624

I just wanted to give everyone an update: Blagoi’s was very professional and I am pleased with their work. They did not try to sell me anything I didn’t need. In fact, they told me it would be best to “wait and see” on the transmission rather than replace it, which was what the dealer had recommended. Blagoi’s gave me a discount on the work done and a warranty on the part they replaced. I would recommend them.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Good to know you had a good experience and didn’t needlessly help make a boat payment.

TaraK
    Participant

My car’s engine coolant light keeps coming on, which would seem like something to take to tend to at an oil change place or a DIY thing. However, my Saturn Ion has a sealed coolant system and most of these basic oil change places won’t touch it.

I’d really hate to go to Saturn and pay $150+ for some coolant to be added — does anyone have experience getting a non-dealership mechanic to do this?

misskitty
    Participant

TaraK wrote >>
    My car’s engine coolant light keeps coming on, which would seem like something to take to tend to at an oil change place or a DIY thing. However, my Saturn Ion has a sealed coolant system and most of these basic oil change places won’t touch it.
    I’d really hate to go to Saturn and pay $150+ for some coolant to be added — does anyone have experience getting a non-dealership mechanic to do this?

Sometimes it depends if the car is still under warranty. I know what you are talking about with the closed system. You may want to call some local shops mom and pop type places. I am willing to bet they would be more likely to help you out than some place like firestone or Goodyear.

atlas automotive 233 5206. tell them sherman sent ya. they are transmission mechanics by trade but they work on everything and anything. my suspicion if its loosing coolant it could be a number of things. intake gaskets, head gaskets, coolant system.pat is a good guy and CHEAP!

TaraK
    Participant

Not under warranty. I’m considering calling a shop called Don’t Car Care. Hate not having a go-to mechanic. Another downfall of being new to a city.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO