Our City Online

Messageboard - Civic Meetings

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Education Commission

Home Forums Events Civic Meetings Columbus Education Commission

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

School Issues: Cut Parents Out of the Equation
    Published on February 20, 2013 3:00 pm
    By: Miriam Bowers Abbott

It’s time for a little review of the city schools and city politics. The Board of Education (the school board) is comprised of seven members, all elected by the public. Their job is to make decisions for Columbus City Schools.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/school-issues-cut-parents-out-of-the-equation-ma1

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Saw this being passed around:
    On behalf of the Create Columbus Commission, I’m extending an invitation to you to join in a young professionals focus group on Columbus education. This is your opportunity to contribute to the ideas of the Columbus Education Commission and help to make our educational system better for Columbus children.

“Tell Your Good Idea for Columbus Education”- A YP focus group on education

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 from 6-8pm

Junior Achievement of Central Ohio, 68 E 2nd Ave., Columbus, OH 43201

For more information and to register, visit: http://www.columbus.org/events/details.dT/tell-your-good-idea-for-education-in-columbus

Need more convincing? Read the Steve Michalovich’s (co-chair, Create Columbus Commission) blog post on why you should care about education as a YP: http://blog.columbus.org/chamber/2013/02/columbus-education-commission-seeking-yp-insight-on-columbus-schools.html

News
    Participant

Urban Problem Solving in Ohio is Devoid of the Larger Political Context
    22 FEBRUARY 2013

The other day I was browsing through Twitter and I came across a tweet about Columbus Public Schools’ reorganization, or “reinvention”; I can’t remember the exact term they were using, but I’m sure it was snappier than that.

It got me thinking. Because when I was last living in Columbus, and that was about six years ago now, they were doing the same thing. I’m pretty sure if we had a time machine and we could travel to the future of Columbus, one, six, 12 years down the line, they’d be at it again. Columbus Public Schools would be in the middle of some reinvention scheme.

READ MORE: http://rustwire.com/2013/02/22/urban-problem-solving-in-ohio-is-devoid-of-the-larger-political-context/

News
    Participant

An unschooled attempt to control the schools
    FEBRUARY 21, 2013 · 6:30 AM

There are few things that affect the future of large American cities more than the quality, or the perception, of their public schools. Cities cannot continue to grow and thrive if parents do not have enough faith in the schools to remain in those cities.

This is reason enough for cities to seek a greater voice in, if not control of, management of the school system. A significant city role is entirely justified.

READ MORE: http://bwilli910.wordpress.com/2013/02/21/an-unschooled-attempt-to-control-the-schools/

joev
    Participant

I’m glad the school problem is being paid attention to finally. God knows the school board has failed miserably over the past decade at fixing anything.

News
    Participant

Tension Mounts Over Future Control Of Columbus Schools
    February 26, 2013
    by Tom Borgerding
    89.7 NPR News Managing Editor

Tonight the growing tension over the future control of the Columbus City Schools will be on display as the Columbus Board of Education meets to discuss whether to hire an interim superintendent to replace the retiring Gene Harris. A new education commission formed by the mayor wants to delay the hiring of a permanent superintendent until the commission makes its recommendations on the future of the schools. Many fear the commission will lead to a mayoral or corporate take-over of the schools.

READ MORE: http://wosu.org/2012/news/2013/02/26/tension-mounts-over-future-control-of-columbus-schools/

News
    Participant

Columbus School Board Seeks Permanent Superintendent
    February 27, 2013
    by Tom Borgerding

The Columbus Board of Education says it wants to hire a permanent superintendent before the end of June despite some outside pressure to name an interim.

The board says it wants to hire a calculated risk taker, preferably with a doctorate, who can boost student academic performance. While the board left open a slight possibility of hiring an interim superintendent, member Gary Baker expressed the prevailing sentiment of the board.

READ MORE: http://wosu.org/2012/news/2013/02/27/columbus-school-board-seeks-permanent-superintendent/

News
    Participant

School Issues: A Gift for the Ed Commission
    Published on March 11, 2013 8:00 am
    By: Miriam Bowers Abbott

Columbus Board of Education meetings aren’t exactly Must-See-TV, but Monday night’s meeting is shaping up to be a doozie. On the table are budget cuts, a parting gift from outgoing Superintendent Gene Harris. The cuts call for the loss of 103 teaching positions and another 95 teaching assistants… plus a shortened school day and reductions in busing service. It all adds up to a critical mass of very angry parents and teachers.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/school-issues-a-gift-for-the-ed-commission-ma1

News
    Participant

News
    Participant

Columbus Education Commission Releases Budget
    March 14, 2013
    by Tom Borgerding

The Columbus Education Commission has released an itemized budget. The commission was appointed by Mayor Michael Coleman to examine challenges facing Columbus City Schools.

READ MORE: http://wosu.org/2012/news/2013/03/14/columbus-education-commission-releases-budget/

News
    Participant

Columbus Education Meeting Discusses Possible Big Changes
    March 22, 2013
    by Mandie Trimble
    89.7 NPR News Reporter

The commission studying the future of the Columbus City Schools met for their final hearing Thursday and got to the heart of the matter — who should run them. The Columbus Education Commission heard suggestions on how the troubled school district should be governed. As WOSU reports, the theme of the meeting was big change is needed.

READ MORE: http://wosu.org/2012/news/2013/03/22/columbus-education-meeting-discusses-possible-big-changes/

Mercurius
    Participant

The Dispatch Wrote:

Coleman issues ultimatum to school board

Columbus Mayor Michael B. Coleman will not support any permanent successor to Superintendent Gene Harris whom the city school board hires by this summer, he said yesterday. Coleman continued to insist that the board should name an interim schools chief and said the board is “on a path toward failure” if it doesn’t heed his advice…

Mercurius
    Participant

Excerpts from Mayor Coleman’s Editorial in The Dispatch:
    http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/editorials/2013/03/24/mayor-coleman-let-us-help.html

Over the past several months, we’ve seen our community come together like never before behind the cause of educating our children.

Late last year, City Council President Andy Ginther and I appointed the Columbus Education Commission, a diverse, talented group of people from all walks of life.

The commission has been engaged in months of intense deliberation and an unprecedented community outreach process in our neighborhoods. Next month, we expect the commission to produce comprehensive recommendations for how Columbus City Schools, the city of Columbus and the entire community should create new policies and new investments toward the goal of making Columbus the best big city in America for educating kids.

I have no doubt these recommendations will be bold, thoughtful and consequential, reflecting our community priorities. But the commission’s work will be undermined if we don’t have an outstanding Columbus City Schools superintendent working arm in arm with the rest of the community to re-imagine education in Columbus.

Education is the civil-rights movement of our time. Too many of our kids are seeing their opportunities for success hang in the balance based upon where they live and the income level of their families…

…Our schools are at a crossroads. If we continue along our current path, Columbus City Schools could be designated for academic emergency, which would lead to state control of the district.

As Superintendent Gene Harris moves into retirement this June, we need to do more than just fill her position with a replacement. We need an innovative, reform-minded superintendent who is aligned with our community priorities as outlined in the forthcoming commission recommendations…

…As it stands, the Columbus Board of Education is headed down the wrong path…

…We must seek the best person in America to lead Columbus City Schools into the next decade. I would be eager to help the school board lead that search. In the meantime, the district can hire an able and qualified interim superintendent to replace Harris upon her departure until a permanent superintendent is found.

I implore the Board of Education to take a breath, reconsider its current course and listen to those throughout Columbus who believe we must have a unified, focused and thoughtful strategy for finding the superintendent our district needs and our kids deserve.

I like the comments on the one published today (seriously)

this:
    JON BEARD (JBEARD)
    This must be an early April Fool’s edition of the Dispatch … right? Otherwise we wouldn’t have comments from two former Columbus City Schools board members (Andrew Ginther and Stephanie Hightower) who ignored the whistle-blowers in 2004 and fired the Internal Auditor who was set to investigate the data scrubbing at that time. Puh-leeze … you two had your turn at the school system and you jacked it up — seemingly aiding and abetting the unlawful data scrubbing that has covered up poor performance for the past decade. Does anybody else get the irony and humor? That was a good one, Dispatch … an April Fools five days in advance … never would’a thunk it.

2013-03-26 05:56:10.0

this:
    JOE SOMMER (J.C.SOMMER)
    Coleman is willing to support the current superintendent who presided over widespread fraud and incompetence in the system. And he supports persons who covered up the fraud and allowed it to continue for years after it was brought to their attention by whistle-blowers in 2004. But if the board hires a highly qualified person to clean up the mess that was created by Coleman’s pals, he will refuse to support the new superintendent. This doesn’t make sense from a public-service standpoint. Is Coleman afraid that if one of his puppets isn’t the new superintendent, the person will publicly expose information that will make his pals look even worse than they already do?

2013-03-26 08:48:57.0

and this:
    CCS PARENT (CCSPARENT)
    I’m sharing this article with all my friends, along with this helpful commentary: Herein the mayor 1) Deliberately sabotages the chances of any good candidate applying for the position; 2) Insists that he and his former school board cronies (the ones who ignored whistleblowers and passed the governance nonsense) get to pick out the new superintendent, and 3) scares me to death, as Coleman consistently celebrates the leadership of Harris . . . We talk, we remember, we vote. The mayor’s behavior is disgusting.

2013-03-26 17:23:34.0

labi
    Participant

How on earth are Andrew Ginther and Stephanie HIghtower even thinking they can be associated with any discussion of this? Are people here really so dimwitted that we’ll just accept that NOW they must be on the side of right, when they were in the lead on the last schools coverup? It’s embarrassing.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)

The forum ‘Civic Meetings’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: