Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Reduced fee counseling/medical/dental resources?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Reduced fee counseling/medical/dental resources?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Bonnie Dodds
    Bonnie Dodds
    Participant

My mother-in-law just came to live with us suddenly due to a domestic abuse situation. She lived on the Oregon Coast where they had a lot of free clinics and was in the process of getting a root canal for almost no money; she has no insurance. So, she needs some dental work done and also is in need of counseling to help her deal with the abuse, etc. I’m wondering if anyone knows of resources that offer low/no cost services for medical, dental, and counseling.

Even a lead would be very much appreciated as I don’t even know where to begin!

Thanks!

misskitty
    Participant
    Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

You might also try the dental programs at Ohio State or Columbus State.

Lakee911
    Participant

Anne wrote >>
    You might also try the dental programs at Ohio State or Columbus State.

+1

Also, ask your own dentist. He may be willin to make a deal for her if you are a long time customer

roy
    Participant

The city’s operating budget includes funding for the network called Columbus Neighborhood Health Centers (colnhc dot org). CNHC does fantastic work in our community.

If your MIL faced domestic violence, consider getting her connected with Choices (ChoicesColumbus dot org)

In general, the Columbus human services hotline ‘211’ is ‘Hands On Central Ohio.’

Tenzo
    Participant

Columbus has some top notch free clinics, most of them staffed by OSU employees and students. The chair of one of the medical programs spends three days a week staffing a free clinic.

I was actually so impressed with the free clinics that one is my primary medical provider. Not because I get it free, we have insurance. But it does help fund the clinic when they get paying customers.

I know you can get free mental health counseling by final year students who are supervised. Contact OSU

Cookie

Tenzo wrote >>
    I know you can get free mental health counseling by final year students who are supervised. Contact OSU

Are you certain that those are for non-students? All of the free counseling resources on campus that I am aware of are only available to currently enrolled students.

Cookie

A list of counseling resources on campus that are available to non-students is included here[/url].

OSU’s Marriage and Family Therapy doctoral program has a sliding scale fee-based clinic available to anyone.

http://ehe.osu.edu/hdfs/cft/

Bonnie Dodds
    Bonnie Dodds
    Participant

Thanks SO MUCH for all of the wonderful resources! I appreciate it so much. I got home today and a chunk of her tooth had fallen out! EEEEK!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE