Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Former Redflex CEO Pleads Guilty to Bribery Charges

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Former Redflex CEO Pleads Guilty to Bribery Charges

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 172 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

City Attorney Says Redflex Contract Complied With City Code
    July 2, 2015 8:32 am – Jesse Bethea

Two weeks ago, it was revealed that Karen Finley, former executive for the red light camera company Redflex, pleaded guilty to bribing a number of as-yet unnamed elected officials in Columbus city government. In his initial statement on the matter, City Council President and mayoral candidate Andrew Ginther, who’s come under scrutiny due to his supposed connection with the scheme, denied his involvement in the conspiracy.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/city-attorney-says-redflex-contract-complied-with-city-code-jb1

mjb684
    Participant

Where there is red lights there is fire…………..

News
    Participant

Ginther says procedures followed; Scott argues bribery is issue
    By GARY SEMAN JR.
    Tuesday July 7, 2015 12:34 PM

Columbus City Council President Andy Ginther said he feels vindicated by an official review that concluded procedures were followed when council approved multiple contracts with the city’s red-light camera provider.

READ MORE: http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/germanvillage/news/2015/07/06/columbus-red-light-cameras-ginther-says-procedures-followed-scott-argues-bribery-is-issue.html

MRipley
    Participant

Sooooooo….. Ginther feels vindicated because the contract approval followed procedures? As if it would spell out the terms of a bribe?

What a piece of work this Ginther is, sounds like he’s desperately grasping at any straw to attempt to confuse the public into believing his side of the story.

“attempt”? I’d say the effort was hugely successful. I had no idea how cognitively impaired the voting population was, until I read party-line comments saying the “attorney general” had declared him innocent and the investigation was over.

The rhetoric is impacting how I view members of that party, and not in a good way.

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant

Any time a politician gets busted, they recommend that a study or review be completed. That gets the immediate heat off (“I can’t comment while an investigation is under way”), drags the process out to the point that people have moved on, and gives them time to close ranks. IMO, at least people see Ginther for what he is after multiple scandals, but he’ll still probably get elected.

News
    Participant

For Immediate Release
    July 8, 2015
    Mayor Coleman Comments on Investigation of City Employee

The Department of Development will conduct an investigation into a City employee’s use of City resources for activities outside of his job duties to assist Dr. Jianhua Li, a Chinese businesswoman. The investigation will follow the procedures put forth in the City’s collective bargaining agreement. The FBI is investigating Dr. Li and her businesses, and has informed the City that the department’s investigation will not interfere with the FBI inquiry.

“We have discovered through emails that a City employee was assisting Dr. Li beyond the scope of his job duties,” said Mayor Coleman. “I did not ask any City employee to help Dr. Li beyond that which we routinely do to support economic development in Columbus. We will determine the full extent to which this employee acted beyond the scope of his employment on behalf of Dr. Li, and why.”

FireEngine
    Participant

I see Mayor Mike has decided to go with the Gene Harris defense.

In both scandals, Coleman and Ginther will simply throw scapegoat city employees under the bus. So much for loyalty to those who did their dirty work for them.

NDaEast
    Participant

Exactly. The alleged bribe is the question … not whether process was followed. And we want to know the answer to that question. Another question, has Rick Pfeiffer made the transition from respected public official to political hack? With his anti-democratic/pro-elite behavior, he is certainly making a case for himself…

NDaEast
    Participant

I see Mayor Mike has decided to go with the Gene Harris defense.

Something like this? (GIF video clip) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAroKYOgjck&feature=youtu.be

NDaEast
    Participant

“attempt”? I’d say the effort was hugely successful. I had no idea how cognitively impaired the voting population was, until I read party-line comments saying the “attorney general” had declared him innocent and the investigation was over.

The rhetoric is impacting how I view members of that party, and not in a good way.

Miriam … If you want to see “cognitively impaired,” read the comments on Andy Ginther’s campaign facebook page. Columbus might have its “Most Intelligent City” award revoked. Samples below:

Shirley Lowe Cochran Someone is after Andy and the mayor?Who might it be. THE SHERIFF OR THE KOCHS? THE KOCHS WERE THE ONES WHO PUT ALL THAT WRONG INFORMATION OUT ABOUT THE TAX INCREASE FOR THE COUNTY. IS IT POSSIBLE. I THINK SO. THEY ARE VERY SNEEKY.
    16 · July 1 at 4:55pm · Edited

Will Smith #Social6 I want to see this on the news every few minutes. They were in such a hurry to point blame. But where’s the breaking news to show Andy is doing the right things and not apart of the lies
    13 · July 1 at 4:20pm

Chad Brown It’s sad that these people and media outlets would attempt to derail your campaign. You seem like a good man with good values. Sad that greed, power mixed with lies and deceit seem to be the norm.
    11 · July 1 at 12:13pm

Kim Marinello You are above reproach Andy
    5 · July 1 at 5:17pm

Katherine Leonard Boushie Hopefully, THIS makes it on the news and in the Dispatch since they so quickly state the bad!
    4 · July 1 at 1:29pm
    4 Replies

Bill Swain More right wing BS. Glad this was done to put to rest the notion that contracts were awarded illegally.
    4 · July 1 at 4:06pm

Katherine Leonard Boushie Thanks, Mike..since The Dispatch is so anti-CCS, I don’t give them my dime or my time.
    2 · July 1 at 1:44pm

Linda S. Henry You and Rick Pfeiffer ROCK!
    2 · July 1 at 4:00pm

Becky Graham Channel 10 Noon News pulled another “Man denies beating his wife” report about this.
    1 · July 1 at 12:07pm

Lorra Nickel Thanks for clearing this up. You have my vote as well. But please get in touch with Michael Doody. re:Kossuth Street Garden. We need four help!

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

I noticed on Sunday that there was not a single ginther election sign on North Broadway???? Maybe it was mowing day or they were washed away by the monsoons…. Or washed away by good judgement! Andy should get one up at his house!

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

Crime Stoppers now involved?
    http://nbc4i.com/2015/07/13/former-crime-stoppers-leaders-talks-corruption/

This is a group that felt very much above any law. I’m also intrigued now that the fc commisoners are mentioned.

News
    Participant

City of Columbus Ends Contract with Redflex
    July 15, 2015 9:58 am – Walker Evans

A representative at the Office of Mayor Michael B. Coleman issued a release today notifying the public that the City of Columbus is officially terminating its contract with Redflex, the company that operated the red light traffic cameras in the city. The termination of the contract comes as a recommendation by City Attorney Rick Pfeffier.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/city-of-columbus-ends-contract-with-redflex

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 172 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE