Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Former Redflex CEO Pleads Guilty to Bribery Charges

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Former Redflex CEO Pleads Guilty to Bribery Charges

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 172 total)
  • Author

GeeDee
    Participant

Could Coleman come back?

Why would he want to?

jackoh
    Participant

Could Coleman come back?

Why would he want to?

To keep the existing power structure in place?

GeeDee
    Participant

If Ginther gets booted and/or indicted, and the Franklin County Dem Party starts to feel the same heat because of its involvement, I don’t know that Coleman would be willing to take one for the team.

roy
    Participant

“the vacancy so created may be filled in the manner and by the deadline established in general laws of the state, unless otherwise provided by this charter or ordinance of council.”

Not sure what that means.<br>
    My guess is there is a way to swap him out for a new candidate, and it will be done.

If Coleman resigns Andy becomes mayor and can campaign as incumbent, many Dems were surprised they didn’t choose monkey move up in the first place, in Columbus there’s a rich city hall tradition of taking elective office before actually facing voters, even Pfeiffer did it when he accepted the appointment to city attorney. Defending the Redflex red light cameras a few months ago when the GOP threatened state budget cuts to cities using them “Columbus City Attorney Richard C. Pfeiffer Jr. said, ‘Your newspaper would not allow my quotes to be printed.'” [Columbus Dispatch, http://workplace.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/04/15/red-light-camera-local-government-fund.html

Columbus City Charter Sec. 64-3. – Successor to mayor.
    If the mayor dies, resigns, is removed from office, ceases to hold any qualification for office, or the office is otherwise vacated during the term of office, the mayor shall be succeeded in office, until the 1st day of January following the next regular municipal election, by the president of the council who shall thereby cease to be a member of council. If such election be the time for the regular election of a mayor, a mayor shall then be elected to serve for a term of four years, otherwise for the remainder of the unexpired term.

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>GeeDee wrote:</div>
    Could Coleman come back?

Why would he want to?

To screw the Sheriff and bide time while they find someone else they like better.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Juicy! Love me some corrupt drama.

News
    Participant

Whistleblower: Redflex Had History Of Bribing Govt. Officials
    By Kevin Landers
    Friday June 19, 2015 4:57 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – At the heart of the Columbus bribery scandal is Karen Finley the former CEO and President of Redflex cameras. According to a federal complaint, Finley greased the wheels with more than $80,000 in campaign contributions to Columbus officials in 2011. She also funneled the cash to local Redflex consultant who then, according to sources, gave the money to Columbus elected officials.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2015/06/19/columbus-ohio-whistleblower-redflex-had-history-of-bribing-govt.-officials.html

jackoh
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jackoh wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>GeeDee wrote:</div><br>
    Could Coleman come back?

Why would he want to?

To screw the Sheriff and bide time while they find someone else they like better.

There is no such thing as being “screwed” in the realm of politics. That is the nature of the field on which the game is played.

News
    Participant

Former exec of red-light camera vendor pleads guilty to bribing Columbus officials
    Jun 19, 2015, 3:16pm EDT Updated Jun 19, 2015, 3:46pm EDT
    Carrie Ghose

The former CEO of Redflex Traffic Systems Inc., the company that ran red-light cameras in Columbus and Cincinnati, pleaded guilty on Friday to bribing Columbus city officials over a period of eight years, federal prosecutors said.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2015/06/19/former-exec-of-red-light-camera-vendor-pleads.html

————-

City Officials Accused of Accepting Bribes, Includes City Council President Andrew Ginther
    By WOSU NEWS STAFF • 3 HOURS AGO

Columbus City Council President Andrew Ginther has been implicated in a bribery and fraud scheme. Federal court documents say “on or about November 1, 2011, the Ohio Democratic Party made a $21,000 contribution to the campaign of the elected official that had contacted” an Arizona red light camera company executive.

READ MORE: http://radio.wosu.org/post/city-officials-accused-accepting-bribes-includes-city-council-president-andrew-ginther

GCrites80s
    Participant

Everything with red-light cameras is straight out of Robocop.

News
    Participant

NDaEast
    Participant

Ginther Calls on City Attorney to Investigate Reflex Contract
    Today, I issued the following statement regarding the federal investigation into Redflex: “I had absolutely no knowledge of these activities and did not take part in them. While I am not a subject of this inquiry, I have been asked to provide records that may help the investigation into Redflex. I’ve fully cooperated and will continue to assist in bringing these people to justice. In light of these charges, I have asked City Attorney Rick Pfeiffer to conduct an investigation into any current contracts between the city and Redflex.”

Isn’t that the same thing he said about the CCS data scrubbing scandal? His spokesperson is overpaid.

As I understand it, the candidate is either corrupt, or completely oblivious to the actions of those who work under him.

Per his announcement, it appears he is claiming to be completely oblivious -much like he was during the CCS data scandal.

I do not understand why any voter, or political party, would want to elect a candidate who claims to be chronically stupid beyond words.

Moreover, it sure makes the donations from those with tax-abatements look questionable. Too bad that campaign finance reform issue never made it to the ballot.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

I do not understand why any voter, or political party, would want to elect a candidate who claims to be chronically stupid beyond words.

Agreed. One “oversight” I can give a dubious pass to, two, not so much. This guy is turning up sketchy as hell.

foxforcefive
    Participant

You don’t think Coleman had any knowledge of this? C’mon…

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 172 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns with a “Curated Take Home Box Experience”

CLICK HERE TO PLACE YOUR ORDER