Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Former Redflex CEO Pleads Guilty to Bribery Charges

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Former Redflex CEO Pleads Guilty to Bribery Charges

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 172 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Ginther to Announce Vindication Today in Redflex Investigation
    October 2, 2015 11:38 am – Walker Evans

Columbus City Council President and Mayoral Candidate Andrew Ginther is hosting a media event this afternoon to announce his innocence in the local Reflex bribery investigation. An advisory released from Ginther’s campaign manager this morning says that a plea agreement between federal investigators and local lobbyist John Raphael was filed in court today that shows that Raphael acted alone in the extortion of Redflex.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/ginther-to-announce-vindication-today-in-redflex-investigation

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

http://nbc4i.com/investigative-story/guilty-plea-expected-from-lobbyist-connected-to-red-light-scandal/
    It begins. Im sure this can all be explained away. Its funny the charges are extortion…. I believe that is the term the lawyers used about the city department of developement interaction with a national business that tried to set up a location here.

Nancy H
    Participant

It begins.

And ends.

Raphael is the scapegoat. Nothing will be explained because he is pleading guilty. Trial might take ten minutes at best. I suspect they have already negotiated his fine and/or jail time. The cities of Columbus and Cincinnati, along with Redflex, will go back to business as usual.

roy
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Cbussmallbiz wrote:</div>
    It begins.

And ends.

Raphael is the scapegoat. Nothing will be explained because he is pleading guilty. Trial might take ten minutes at best. I suspect they have already negotiated his fine and/or jail time. The cities of Columbus and Cincinnati, along with Redflex, will go back to business as usual.

Nancy, since defendant has entered a plea there will be no trial. Just an FYI.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Via Email:
    Statement by John Raphael regarding Plea Agreement

Today, I signed a formal plea agreement to take full responsibility for actions involving my dealings with my client, Redflex, regarding city of Columbus contracts.

Contrary to the public reports and rumors that have circulated about me over the past several months, there are no charges that have been brought against me for bribery or public corruption or conspiracy to do these things. At no time was there ever any bribe offered or asked for by anyone or concerning anything.

I am guilty of the charge of “interference with commerce by threats.” After a lengthy investigation, this is what I’ve been charged with and this is what I am pleading guilty to.

Through personal communications and actions, I pressured Redflex executives to make contributions to city officials. They apparently believed that they would lose their contracts with the city or their desire to expand said contract if they did not make the contributions. I did make statements that led them to reach the above conclusion and I accept responsibility for that. Of course, it was a factual impossibility for me to affect a city contract in this way but Redflex apparently did not understand that fact.

The contributions I received I passed on but used names other than Redflex as the contributors. Redflex wanted it done that way as they told me that was their “practice.” I agreed to do what they wanted. I had done this previously with another client who didn’t want his name listed as a contributor. I understand what I did was wrong and I regret I used this procedure.

My actions were improper. I accept responsibility for doing this. However, I want to make it absolutely clear that at no time was I ever involved with any act of bribery or attempted bribery or conspiracy to bribe anyone. Not Redflex, not city officials, not anyone. I would never have admitted to anything even vaguely approaching bribery as it never ever happened period.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

News
    Participant

Redflex Lobbyist John Raphael Takes Full Responsibility in Plea Agreement
    October 2, 2015 1:55 pm – Walker Evans

Local lobbyist John Raphael announced today that he has taken full responsibility for all improper dealings and interactions with Redflex officials that have been the target of investigation this summer. Allegations and accusations of the bribery of public officials have been discussed at length this summer, which Raphael denied in his written statement.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/redflex-lobbyist-john-raphael-takes-full-responsibility-in-plea-agreement

News
    Participant

City Council President Andrew Ginther Says Investigation Reveals “No Bribery or Corruption”
    October 2, 2015 2:17 pm – Walker Evans

“Three months ago, I stood in this room and assured Columbus voters that the federal investigation into the Phoenix-based company Redflex has never been about me and will never be about me,” stated City Council President Andrew Ginther during a press conference at City Hall this afternoon. “Today, court records have proven that’s true.”

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/andrew-ginther-columbus-city-council

roy
    Participant

https://www.periscope.tv/w/aN6zMzF6WUtiTWFsSk5RZXh8MVlxSkRXYVdxcU5HVpxiydTYBNiWww8JCB561DoFw3MDGFp_4D1l05YqVZgD

What happened to Ivvinick, is he sick? The bloating might be from chemo, hope he’s ok.

In the past few days we’ve learned that:

Bob Shieh will be punished by the Coleman administration for doing what Bob himself ORIGINALLY told (the Dispatch) that the mayor’s office told him to do.

And John Raphael will go to prison for what John himself ORIGINALLY said (in emails to Karen Finley of Redflex) he was doing at the behest of Columbus elected offcials who wanted their money.

NOW, right before an important municipal election, we’re told that Bob admits he acted badly ALONE despite the fact that he acted in close cooperation with both a close friend of the mayor and with the mayor’s long-time administrative assistant. And John says that he acted badly ALONE despite the fact Ginther himself acknowledges he actively sought campaign contributions from Redflex and then received them.

Now, I was born at night, but not LAST NIGHT. These are coverups and they vindicate no one. Anyone who believes they do is easily decieved.

News
    Participant

Columbus Mayoral Race: Scott Responds to Investigation Announcement
    October 3, 2015 9:00 am – Walker Evans

Mayoral Candidate Zach Scott spoke with Columbus Underground on the phone yesterday afternoon to say that Raphael’s admission of guilt continues to cast a shadow on the political landscape of the current administration at the city of Columbus.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/sheriff-zach-scott-columbus-mayor

NDaEast
    Participant

FROM THE DISPATCH TODAY:

“The federal investigation of the bribes and the involvement of elected officials is ongoing, justice officials said …

Ginther has said he did not know whether a $21,000 donation that his city council campaign received in 2011 from the Ohio Democratic Party included $20,000 that Finley said she gave Raphael to bribe Ginther. Shortly after Raphael received the money from Redflex, records show, he gave it to the state party. Soon after, the party made its donation to Ginther’s campaign.

Ginther has acknowledged soliciting a donation from Redflex officials and then asking Raphael for help in securing a donation. But he said he did not recall whether Raphael told him he’d been successful in getting the money.”

And Ginther releases a statement saying he has been vindicated. Anyone who believes in, or votes for, Andrew Ginther probably still puts cookies out for Santa Claus. Sheesh.

News
    Participant

NDaEast
    Participant

Ginther has been claiming he is vindicated by Raphael’s plea agreement. Unfortunately, Ginther has a track record of being a bold faced liar, so anyone who believes his statement at face value is likely as not simply falling for his never-ending political spin. With Ginther, you always have to dig deeper to get at the truth (and that is a sad commentary on an elected official). The plea agreement is only designed to close out the criminality and get a penalty against John Raphael — the plea does not necessarily have to be (and usually isn’t) the same as the original charge, or even the information in the possession of the FBI – which Raphael’s attorney kept saying in his interview. In fact, the last sentence of the Department of Justice press release announcing the plea deal ends by saying: “This information only contains a charge against John Raphael and should not be construed as a reflection on the guilt or innocence of any other individual.”

There is no smoking gun, but clearly Ginther is over-stating his claim of vindication. Read the press release and decide for yourself @ http://www.justice.gov/usao-sdoh/pr/columbus-lobbyist-agrees-plead-guilty-extortion

Nobody should be surprised if, or when another shoe drops …

News
    Participant

New Details Emerge in Federal Attempted Bribery Scandal
    By Jodi Andes
    Thursday October 15, 2015 9:48 AM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – An email implicating unnamed elected officials surfaced today in unsealed court documents. Those federal court documents show how a Redflex executive worked with Columbus lobbyist John Raphael to bring red light cameras to Columbus – and to have their contracted expanded and modified.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2015/10/15/columbus-ohio-new-details-emerge-in-federal-attempted-bribery-scandal.html

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 172 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns with a “Curated Take Home Box Experience”

CLICK HERE TO PLACE YOUR ORDER