Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Redevelopment of Little Brothers, Plasma Donation & House of Cigar

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Redevelopment of Little Brothers, Plasma Donation & House of Cigar

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Concept Equity Proposes Renovation of Four Short North Buildings
    October 19, 2015 3:27 pm – Walker Evans

After years of quietly acquiring property, Concept Equity is quickly making a name for itself as a major real estate development company in the Short North and Downtown areas. The newest proposal from the locally-based organization will be presented to the Italian Village Commission tomorrow evening, and will present a concept for the renovation of four buildings located between 1088 North High Street and 1112 North High Street.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/concept-equity-short-north

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Cool but..

“This block, in my opinion, is the last remaining undeveloped block in the Short North that will truly connect the neighborhood from Downtown all the way to campus.”

…..That’s a bit of a stretch

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

In September I counted 10 surface parking lots remaining on High in the Short North, and this news crosses two more of them off the list (House of Cigar and Yoga on High):

https://www.columbusunderground.com/short-north-parking-lots

A couple of the ones left are even more prominent eyesores though. (I’m looking at you, gravel UDF lot.)

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Boy I miss little brothers. I started going there a lot at the tail end of its life unfortunately.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I’ve always really liked that little tan building there on the end. Glad to see it getting some investment. I also like the outdoor patio. There aren’t too many of those around and it’s a nice amenity.

lbl
    Participant

it would be nice to see another live music venue back in the Little Brother’s space.
    and Ive always thought a large outdoor space between the two bldgs would have worked well there.

with regard to the corner lot across the street – next to Yoga on High, I kind-of like that there’s some public green space. its a peaceful little setting. just my view of it.
    if Concept Equity could purchase the Dollar Store lot, now that would be a prime hotel location.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

with regard to the corner lot across the street – next to Yoga on High, I kind-of like that there’s some public green space. its a peaceful little setting. just my view of it.

It has some nice big trees, but it’s still a parking lot. I wouldn’t really call it a “public green space”…

lbl
    Participant

yeah, OK. well i guess we see it differently.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

purchase the Dollar Store lot

This has been tried before hasn’t it?

Josh Bauman
    Josh Bauman
    Participant

Cool but..

“This block, in my opinion, is the last remaining undeveloped block in the Short North that will truly connect the neighborhood from Downtown all the way to campus.”

Arguably, he has a point in terms of activity. While the campus end of the Short North is pretty barren in terms of retail/restaurants/etc. this block doesn’t have much going for it, either. A revitalization will be great.

As for the cigar building, it’s interesting. I agree that a park-like public respite could be nice but it would need to be very well designed to be effective. If anything a modern glass box that sort of encapsulates the old building and provides a large gathering space (a gallery, music venue, nightlife/event space, etc.) could do the same thing while allowing year-round use. Something to consider

TunedUpRyan
    Participant

I second the idea of making the Little Brothers back into some sort of event space.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

is the plasma center going away?

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I was also wondering how/if this effects the businesses at these locations?

jOHnH
    Participant

The plasma center moved up High St just past King….right?

dalias
    dalias
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lazyfish wrote:</div>

I was also wondering how/if this effects the businesses at these locations?

There really is not much to effect. The plasma center has indeed moved north of King, just south of the library. It is empty. So is Little Brothers. So is Kingsrowe. The only thing functioning in this stretch is the Cigar Shop and a recently opened Allstate office.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Urban Living Tour returns (with strict safety guidelines) on Aug 30!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS