Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Redevelopment of Barrett School Building in Merion Village

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Redevelopment of Barrett School Building in Merion Village

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author

MHJ
    Participant

melikecheese said:
    I just hope it helps spur a little development on Parsons. Businesses and people always seem scared to come down to the south side, yet Hal and Al’s, Planks and one or two other places have been very successful. People seem to think it’s not worth it, yet you can open some great things in Old Towne East which has just as many, if not more issues, and that’s like a cool hip thing to do.

I bet this is part of their thought process on why they are making this project strictly market=rate. The South Side is one of the city’s target neighborhoods for investment, and they are trying to spark some new energy in the neighborhood.

Slay

Anyone go to the meeting? What happened?

tourist19
    Participant

Slay said:
    Anyone go to the meeting? What happened?

I went to the meeting and was really impressed with their plans and commitment to the building. They want to get it on the historic register and keep/restore the outside and as much of the inside to as original as possible. The plan is for 40-60 units at market value which they figure to be in the area of $1.49 a square foot. They are also going to build new build homes which keep the look of the neighborhood in mind also to be positioned at market value which they figure to be in the $230K-$330K range. None of this is to be low income. They are viewing this project as a way to fund their other affordable housing projects. As someone who owns a home a block away I can only see this adding value to the neighborhood and increasing my own property’s value.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Thanks for the update, Tourist. Sounds like a really solid plan for that area.

News
    Participant

Concept Calls for 150 Residential Units at Barrett Site in Merion Village
    Published on November 21, 2013 8:00 am
    By: Brent Warren

According to a “first draft” concept presented by Homeport to the neighborhood last month, the old Barrett Middle School in Merion Village could be converted into a 50-unit apartment building, with another 100 new units built on the grounds of the former school.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/conceptual-plan-calls-for-150-residential-units-at-barrett-site-in-merion-village-bw1

heresthecasey
    Participant

“Developers, Merion Village residents differ on plan to convert school to housing”

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/home_and_garden/2014/01/12/caughtmiddle.html

There are some great, supportive comments from Curtis Davis, chairman of the Southside Area Commission, towards the second half comparing the site and project scale to Victorian Gate in the SN.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

FYI, meeting this week:

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

The last approval hurdles have been cleared, looking good!
    From http://barrettredevelopment.com/ “As a follow-up to The City of Columbus Zoning Committee that occurred on February 2nd, 2015, City Council has approved the site rezoning and variances for the project! All public meetings have officially come to a close and we greatly appreciate all of your comments, feedback, suggestions, and support that have helped shape the project into what it is today. Although we have completed the public meeting approval process, we’ll still be conducting progress meetings with stakeholders as the project progresses.”

Latest renderings
    barrett redevelopment

barrett

barrett

Mike88
    Participant

Wow those images look great! When are these expected to hit the market again? Sometime in 2016?

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Construction begins right away in the spring, 2016 sounds like a pretty good guesstimate for availability

heresthecasey
    Participant

Great news! Can’t wait to see this get underway!

mysswilson
    Participant

Does anyone have an idea of what the price point will be for the single family homes? Also any word on possible tax abatements?

Ceceoh
    Participant

Looks like the asbestos removal is done, and the gut rehab of Barrett has begun. I live a block south of the school and I’m looking forward to seeing the exterior restoration of the building. Hopefully when it’s all done they’ll have an open house and I’ll get a peek at the interior, too. The entire site is fenced off, but I haven’t seen any sign of groundbreaking for the single family homes. I’m going to miss the sounds of ball games and band practice from the school grounds, but I’m very happy the school will have new life, and not be left to rot like so many of the old urban schools.

News
    Participant

Project Update: Barrett Middle School Site
    July 30, 2015 7:00 am – Brent Warren

With remediation work well underway on the Barrett Middle School building in Merion Village, Columbus Underground recently got a look inside the historic building.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/project-update-barrett-middle-school-site-bw1

HarveyWallbanger
    Participant

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/10/19/South-Side-initiative-aims-to-create-affordable-housing.html

I thought the Barrett plan was market rate? Almost bought a property on Thurman across the street so I sat in most of the meetings.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION