Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Redevelopment of Barrett School Building in Merion Village

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Redevelopment of Barrett School Building in Merion Village

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #98184

    News
    Participant

    Homeport Looking for Input on Barrett Project in Merion Village

    Published on July 31, 2013 5:00 am

    By: Brent Warren

    Homeport, the community development organization behind projects like NoBo on Long and the new homes in American Addition, is looking for input and ideas for their latest project; the redevelopment of Barrett Middle School in Merion Village. A community meeting is scheduled for 6:30 Wednesday at the Thurman Avenue United Methodist Church (415 Thurman Ave) – just down the street from the school, which sits at 345 East Deshler Avenue.

    READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/homeport-looking-for-input-on-barrett-project-in-merion-village-bw1


    Previous News:

    • Barrett Elementary to house South High School – August 2007

    What should be done with Barrett Middle School? – March 2007

    Condos are proposed for Barrett Middle School property – March 2006

    #547295

    melikecheese
    Participant

    This is such a nice building, I always thought it would make a nice apartment.

    I am not 100% familiar with what CHA / Homeport really does other then affordable housing.

    Does that mean section 8 housing? Or just affordable homes?

    #547296
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

    melikecheese said:
    I am not 100% familiar with what CHA / Homeport really does other then affordable housing.

    From the article:

    One thing that has already been ruled out for the project is an affordable housing element – the plan at this point is for the residential products to be market-rate. That would put the Barrett project in the same category as Homeport’s Rich Street Walk development, which featured market-rate condos and was used to fund the organization’s other projects.

    #547297

    Graybeak
    Participant

    Well, some really rich people could buy it and turn it into a single family house. That seems to be a popular choice in the area.

    As for turning an old school into artist spaces, I seem to recall that not working out so well the last time that was tried in Columbus.

    #547298

    SEBiehl
    Participant

    It’s too bad affordable housing won’t be part of the development, but, depending on the price point of the apartments (because the housing choice voucher program has limits on rent amounts based on number of bedrooms), there would be nothing stopping families from using a section 8 voucher in the building.*

    *ETA: except for landlords who discriminate against families who have section 8 vouchers

    #547299

    MHJ
    Participant

    melikecheese said:
    This is such a nice building, I always thought it would make a nice apartment.

    I am not 100% familiar with what CHA / Homeport really does other then affordable housing.

    Does that mean section 8 housing? Or just affordable homes?

    To be clear, Homeport is not the Columbus Housing Authority. Homeport was formerly known as the Columbus Housing Partnership, and is an independent 501(c)(3) organization that develops both low-income housing and market-rate housing in Franklin County.

    #547300

    MHJ
    Participant

    SEBiehl said:
    It’s too bad affordable housing won’t be part of the development, but, depending on the price point of the apartments (because the housing choice voucher program has limits on rent amounts based on number of bedrooms), there would be nothing stopping families from using a section 8 voucher in the building.*

    *ETA: except for landlords who discriminate against families who have section 8 vouchers

    There’s already a lot of low-income housing in the area. This is the South Side, not German Village. It’s much closer to Parsons than it is to High Street.

    #547301

    Pablo
    Participant

    Graybeak said:
    As for turning an old school into artist spaces, I seem to recall that not working out so well the last time that was tried in Columbus.

    Are you referring to Milo-Grogan? It seems to be working OK (per their web site). They had code issues in the past but I believe they have been (or are being) resolved. It’s been an artist colony since 1988, a friend of mine was there in the early ’90’s and he appreciated the space and community.

    http://www.miloarts.com/History/History.html

    #547302

    Graybeak
    Participant

    Pablo said:
    Are you referring to Milo-Grogan? It seems to be working OK (per their web site). They had code issues in the past but I believe they have been (or are being) resolved. It’s been an artist colony since 1988, a friend of mine was there in the early ’90’s and he appreciated the space and community.

    http://www.miloarts.com/History/History.html

    Yes.
    Milo Arts Tenants Need a new home

    Another Milo Thread

    #547303

    TaraK
    Participant

    I think even market rate apartments would be great there. The neighborhood already has plenty of walkable options that could serve renters, and it might support a few more additions.

    #547304

    melikecheese
    Participant

    MHJ said:
    To be clear, Homeport is not the Columbus Housing Authority. Homeport was formerly known as the Columbus Housing Partnership, and is an independent 501(c)(3) organization that develops both low-income housing and market-rate housing in Franklin County.

    Oh OK, thank you!

    Well I think it’s a good project for the area. I am not sure what qualify’s as low income housing but there certainly are many cheaper priced options the further south you go and once you cross Parsons to the east.

    I just hope it helps spur a little development on Parsons. Businesses and people always seem scared to come down to the south side, yet Hal and Al’s, Planks and one or two other places have been very successful. People seem to think it’s not worth it, yet you can open some great things in Old Towne East which has just as many, if not more issues, and that’s like a cool hip thing to do.

    #547305
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

    Graybeak said:
    As for turning an old school into artist spaces, I seem to recall that not working out so well the last time that was tried in Columbus.

    Therefore, it should never be tried again? Or could never be done better?

    #547306

    Graybeak
    Participant

    Walker said:
    Therefore, it should never be tried again? Or could never be done better?

    My goodness I am surprised by your reply to my off the cuff comment.

    I am simply providing information related to a comment someone else made. I am not condemning or endorsing the possibility of an artist enclave.
    After all it seems to be working swell at 400 W Rich.

    #547307
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

    You’ve been saving that response for a whole day, haven’t you? Glad you got it out of your system. :P

    #547308

    Graybeak
    Participant

    Walker said:
    You’ve been saving that response for a whole day, haven’t you? Glad you got it out of your system. :P

    sigh.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: