Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Redevelopment at Main St and 5th St?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Redevelopment at Main St and 5th St?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Brizrock

There appears to be some action at the corner of Main St and 5th St in the Red Brick District, across from Uncle Sam’s Pawn Shop. Does anybody have details?

Matthew
    Participant

Brizrock wrote >>
    There appears to be some action at the corner of Main St and 5th St in the Red Brick District, across from Uncle Sam’s Pawn Shop. Does anybody have details?

Are you talking about the old abandoned white building? If so I remember reading it was supposed to be a facadomy/condo type thing.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I haven’t heard any updates on what’s going on over there, but I believe the site you’re referring to was what was once supposed to become Time Tower:

Developer sets plan for condo tower on E. Main

Roland
    Participant

Whoa.. Time Tower! That feels like a blast from the past. I hope this, and other projects (cough.. Ibiza!), start moving along and upward.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

It would be so sweet if they decided to move forward with this. I think they were originally moderately priced.

patient_zero
    Participant

I inquired about some of that activity in March, and one of the workers said that Lev’s Pawnshop owned the property and they were going to expand into the space. That was the last I heard.

On a similar area note, I see that Capital Crossroads is storing cleaning equipment in the former Ray Johnson’s Fish Market.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, from what I heard, the Time Tower project never got the financing it needed to get off the ground. It was purely conceptual.

patient_zero
    Participant

As I walked to and from work today, I asked some of the hourly laborers what kind of project they were working on today. Both groups confirmed in Spanish that it was going to be an apartamento, or dwelling of some kind. They couldn’t tell me a name or an owner or anything else.

I went into Lev’s Pawnshop and inquired, but I have no idea what the man said to me – I was stumped. Accents usually don’t throw me off, today being an exception. So that visit was fruitless.

There have been two and three man work teams in there, off and on since March. It smells like old, dirty attic. What a dirty and smelly job that must be, no? I am kind of curious what’s in there, though. I think it was the old FW Woolworth’s warehouse before it was Ohio or World Furniture.

Walker, if they’ll let you walk around in there, I wanna come. I’ll bring a mask though.

ZHC

patient_zero wrote >>
    As I walked to and from work today, I asked some of the hourly laborers what kind of project they were working on today. Both groups confirmed in Spanish that it was going to be an apartamento, or dwelling of some kind. They couldn’t tell me a name or an owner or anything else….
    I am kind of curious what’s in there, though. I think it was the old FW Woolworth’s warehouse before it was Ohio or World Furniture.

That’s what I’ve heard as well Patient Zero although I don’t know for sure.

Time Tower is most definitely dead, at least in that location. Too bad I really think it could have been a very positive development for downtown.

I’m not positive but I believe my family’s old grocery store used to be in there (think 1920’s and before) as the previous owner showed me some old receipts he recovered from the inside.

patient_zero
    Participant

@ZHC – That would be interesting to validate. I was on the computer for a while last night and came up empty handed. Any ideas where I can search?

HeySquare
    Participant

You can look at Sanborn maps.

They are available online through the Columbus Public Library, as well as other outlets.

They are very useful, although sometimes it can be hard to find the right page that you are looking for. Sometimes you can search by street name, but other sites just have the raw images, and you have to figure out how to use the book.

Remember these have all been scanned from large format atlas-type books. The pages are usually scanned in order, and filed as image files on a web page. When you use the physical books, there is an index page at the front of the volume, and from there you can identify the specific street-level page you want. So when you use the internet scans, you can still use it like a physical book to find the street you want. Check the index page (it’s usually one of the first few pages of the book) and try and locate the street-level map page you need from that.

HeySquare
    Participant
    Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

patient_zero wrote >>
    As I walked to and from work today, I asked some of the hourly laborers what kind of project they were working on today. Both groups confirmed in Spanish that it was going to be an apartamento, or dwelling of some kind. They couldn’t tell me a name or an owner or anything else.
    I went into Lev’s Pawnshop and inquired, but I have no idea what the man said to me – I was stumped. Accents usually don’t throw me off, today being an exception. So that visit was fruitless.
    There have been two and three man work teams in there, off and on since March. It smells like old, dirty attic. What a dirty and smelly job that must be, no? I am kind of curious what’s in there, though. I think it was the old FW Woolworth’s warehouse before it was Ohio or World Furniture.
    Walker, if they’ll let you walk around in there, I wanna come. I’ll bring a mask though.

+1, love stuff like that.

HeySquare
    Participant

patient_zero
    Participant

Very interesting HeySquare. I remember browsing through these maps at the main library a few years ago without any purpose. They are a great reference if you are looking for something specific..

In 1887 on this map, I see a Zettler Alley, but some of the buildings don’t seem to match up, they may have been torn down and rebuilt after that date.

I see a wagon shop and paint shop just about where Dirty Frank’s would be today.
    At one time, D.F.’s was a globe shop, amongst other businesses.

If I can get to a 1920’s version, and read the numbered index, I may be able to identify all the buildings.

Any input is welcomed. :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE