Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Recycling Mass Confusion Ensues with Schedule Change

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Recycling Mass Confusion Ensues with Schedule Change

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Eugene_C
    Participant

The city recently (as in just this month) changed their recycling schedule and pick up system and it has caused mass confusion in our neighborhood. People keep putting stuff out in the wrong week, and some have just resorted to leaving their carts out 24/7.

What was supposed to happen was that instead of recycling one week and yard waste the other week, they switched to both yard waste are recycling in the same week but every other week. I think that the switch-over happened in such a manner in our area that it caused service to skip a week or two entirely, and it’s been fairly chaotic ever since. We’ve reset our phone calendars twice already, and had discussions with the neighbors but I think we’ve finally got it (I think).

However, I noticed a lot of people still didn’t put their carts out this week, which is when pickup should occur. Usually participation is near 100% in my area and it was probably running around 60% this week.

geoyui
    Participant

I get my notifications via twitter now. You can also get notified by email, phone or print out a calendar. It’s perfect. (click “create a reminder”)

Columbus Collection Schedules and Reminders

duncanfj
    Participant

There is also a Columbus app that will tell you what day your trash, recycling and yard waste pickups are on.

heresthecasey
    Participant

If you know your trash color you can also call a number and an automated recording will tell you the current days for both trash and recycling pickup, along with when it will change next.

The numbers are 645-(color),

i.e., 645-PINK, is 645-7465, and likewise for ruby, navy, gold, &tc

Eugene_C
    Participant

Yep, I got the day right now. But it looks like about 1/3 of the neighbors are still playing catch up.

Somehow, I did originally get the wrong day though when I looked it up.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

I read that the city was supposed to be putting stickers on your carts a couple of weeks before this change was to happen, to indicate the new date.

No stickers/notifications happened in my neighborhood.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

(this is just a blank line for tiny print)

There was nothing on the schedule on their Website for March for a long time. Then they sent out a notice saying that the schedule change would occur beginning on the week of March 14 with every-other week pickup.

Except… for some people the week of the 14th was their <u>off-week</u>, but that wasn’t exactly made clear, so everyone put their stuff out on the first week but only half of the people got picked up.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I read that the city was supposed to be putting stickers on your carts a couple of weeks before this change was to happen, to indicate the new date.

No stickers/notifications happened in my neighborhood.

We got the notification sticker, but it wasn’t stuck onto anything, just tucked into the handle. It described the 2-week scheduling but it did not set dates. It had this link:

http://311.columbus.gov/AddrLookupnew.aspx

melikecheese
    Participant

We got a postcard in the mail that had a calendar on it, pretty hard not to understand, the dates of the pick up are highlighted. I suspect everyone got a postcard. Unless they don’t read things. I think that is the key problem here, not reading things you get in the mail.

TaraK
    Participant

I get my notifications via twitter now. You can also get notified by email, phone or print out a calendar. It’s perfect. (click “create a reminder”)

When I used this site to try to look up our schedule, it found my address but said no schedule could be found. We definitely have recycling. We just don’t know when now. We put it out on the appropriate day and it didn’t come.

geoyui
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>geoyui wrote:</div>

When I used this site to try to look up our schedule, it found my address but said no schedule could be found. We definitely have recycling. We just don’t know when now. We put it out on the appropriate day and it didn’t come.

Oh, sorry I can’t help you there. I just found it’s been the best option. no more looking at my neighbors or hoping the app is up to date. It’s a new feature, so maybe they’re still working out the issues?

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

We got a postcard in the mail that had a calendar on it, pretty hard not to understand, the dates of the pick up are highlighted. I suspect everyone got a postcard. Unless they don’t read things. I think that is the key problem here, not reading things you get in the mail.

We did not get a postcard.

I did look up our day on the website and it had us in there.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I’m surprised at the degree of participation in recycling among my immediate neighbors. In the days of the red tubs, mine would be the only one in sight up and down the street. Now almost everyone has a blue cart waiting.

geoyui
    Participant

I’m surprised at the degree of participation in recycling among my immediate neighbors. In the days of the red tubs, mine would be the only one in sight up and down the street. Now almost everyone has a blue cart waiting.

Same with us. I think it’s because you had to pay for the red tub ;)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE