Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Record-High Pedestrian Deaths in Franklin County

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Record-High Pedestrian Deaths in Franklin County

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author

GCrites80s
    Participant

Jaywalking used to get you the death penalty in this town. We were notorious for our strict enforcement. The police eventually backed off because it was causing too much animosity.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

murfmurphy said:
    Why not just enforce the cross walks as they stand?

Because they don’t work. I’m not sure if this is true, or an urban legend, but I recall hearing that the sidewalks through the Oval at OSU were put in wherever paths were worn through the grass by people walking. The infrastructure was built to accomodate where people were using it. Similarly, the oldest roads were previously horse paths.

If there is an increase in pedestrian foot traffic, and the infrastructure does not accomodate regular foot traffic patterns, I think it makes a lot of sense to re-examine that system and adjust accordingly.

murfmurphy said:
    The crosswalks are there for pedestrians to use, if you need to get across the street in the middle of the block then cross the street before your destination, not at your destination.

That only works when the pedestrian is walking longer distances from one place to another. If someone parks a car or exits a bus, they’re often closer to a mid-block area than at an intersection.

Cole
    Participant

misskitty said:
    We should add Hague Avenue to that list. The speed limit being 35 and it’s a big Jaywalking area in defense of the pedestrians there are no crosswalks between West Broad and Sullivant avenue on that stretch of Hague.
    I don’t think that much can be done downtown to discourage jaywalking people are in too much of a hurry.

A crosswalk is more than painted lines at intersections with traffic lights. A crosswalk is “[t]hat part of a roadway at intersections ordinarily included within the real or projected prolongation of property lines and curb lines or, in the absence of curbs, the edges of the traversable roadway.”

In other words, every intersection which does not explicitly forbid pedestrian crossing has/is a crosswalk. So at most intersections in the Short North, the pedestrian should have the right-of-way. On Hague, at every intersection between Sullivant and Broad on Hague the pedestrian should have the right-of-way.

I like Walker’s idea of signed crosswalks where alleys once were. I mean, even Columbus Municipal Code states “[n]o pedestrian shall cross a roadway at a place other than a crosswalk except in cases where crosswalks are an unreasonable distance apart.” There’s conflicting rules within the code, but the blocks around the Statehouse are pretty long. Let’s completely legalize the jaywalking with signed crosswalks.

BTW, I’m aware people would still jaywalk with more signed crosswalks, but it’s a nice thought that pedestrians would have more legal options for getting to where they need to go.

GCrites80s
    Participant

Walker said:
    Because they don’t work. I’m not sure if this is true, or an urban legend, but I recall hearing that the sidewalks through the Oval at OSU were put in wherever paths were worn through the grass by people walking. The infrastructure was built to accomodate where people were using it.

Those are called “cowpaths” and they’re something that college facilities offices take seriously. They don’t like them because they’re a symptom of poor traffic flow design and make the school look bad with all that dead grass and mud. A lot of times they end up installing a hard surface for people to utilize.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

GCrites80s said:
    They don’t like them because they’re a symptom of poor traffic flow design and make the school look bad with all that dead grass and mud.

Similarly, jaywalking on High Street is a symptom of poor traffic flow design and make the City look bad. ;)

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

GCrites80s said:
    Those are called “cowpaths” and they’re something that college facilities offices take seriously. They don’t like them because they’re a symptom of poor traffic flow design and make the school look bad with all that dead grass and mud. A lot of times they end up installing a hard surface for people to utilize.

My mailman leaves a cowpath in my front yard into the neighbors and then around the corner. I try not to be bothered by it because I think it would suck to be a mailman.

johnwirtz
    Participant

GCrites80s said:

I call them pedestrian desire lines.

GCrites80s
    Participant

The other thing that can happen is that a new building is built on campus and all of a sudden pedestrians start making new shortcuts.

Sounds like if people started wearing loud ’80s and early ’90s colors such as neon pink and chartreuse that pedestrian safety would increase. Grungers and goths turned out to be even more self-destructive than we thought.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Problem solved: LED shoes

News
    Participant

Hrm… a 2 minute cycle to cross High Street at Vine during rush hour? That sounds like a long time for pedestrians to have to wait at what is a pretty high-traffic pedestrian area:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/02/14/countdown-signal-may-slow-dash-across-high-street.html

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Hrm… a 2 minute cycle to cross High Street at Vine during rush hour? That sounds like a long time for pedestrians to have to wait at what is a pretty high-traffic pedestrian area:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/02/14/countdown-signal-may-slow-dash-across-high-street.html

cbus11

GCrites80s
    Participant

Seems like every light on Vine is rage-inducing in some way.

misskitty
    Participant

Walker said:

Having to wait 2 minuets is too long really?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

misskitty said:
    Having to wait 2 minuets is too long really?

For some people, yes. For some intersections, no.

Personally, I think 120 seconds sounds like a long wait to cross at that specific intersection.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE