Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Record-High Pedestrian Deaths in Franklin County

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Record-High Pedestrian Deaths in Franklin County

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • Author

joev
    Participant

Maybe we should have free Jazzy scooter stations with sky-walk overpasses that can get people from one side of the street to the other without them having to walk 500 feet to the crosswalk.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

joev said:
    Maybe we should have free Jazzy scooter stations with sky-walk overpasses that can get people from one side of the street to the other without them having to walk 500 feet to the crosswalk.

Starts to add up if you’re walking all day.

Like I said I’m not trying to excuse behavior but there is a lot to be said for design and culture and how it influences behavior. It’s pretty lazy to lump every pedestrian together and claim it’s their fault. Given how I’ve been treated crossing streets downtown, legally with the light, it’s no surprise that some of those walking and/or bussing simply say “screw it” and stop caring where and how they cross.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    I’ve said it before here somewhere, and I’ll say it again. I’m amazed that there isn’t someone killed on W Broad St every day. People walk out into traffic on an epidemic level – usually within 50-75 feet of the crosswalk, usually at a full saunter, often from between parked cars, sometimes while talking on a phone, sometimes it’s little kids. W Broad is 6 lanes wide – it’s not a quick trip across the street.

Is it the thrill? That sense of breaking the rules? Perceived time savings? I dunno – it’s full-on stupid.

East Broad is no better. Pedestrians swagger nice and slow across those six lanes almost daring you to hit them. I like to brush by fast and close and watch them jump as common sense hits them instead of my truck.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

joev said:

Or, just have the buses stop 500 feet closer to the crosswalk.

joev
    Participant

If you can’t walk another 500 feet to use a crosswalk, maybe you SHOULD invest in a Jazzy scooter. I’m not lumping all pedestrians together (and I AM one.) I’m lumping together all pedestrians who can’t be bothered to use the crosswalk and wait for a Walk signal.

joev
    Participant

Walker said:
    Or, just have the buses stop 500 feet closer to the crosswalk.

That could leave a lot of cars behind them in the middle of intersections when a light turns red. Not sure that’s too much safer.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Walker said:
    Dumping off bus passengers mid-block on long blocks is practically begging them to jaywalk

There’s a compounding factor: the stopped bus presents a blind spot to drivers approaching from behind. A person crossing the street (or a vehicle entering from a driveway) may not consider this, and enter into the moving vehicle’s lane.

I drove a dump-bed Cushman on the OSU campus, and I learned to treat a stopped campus bus as a stop sign, especially in the first ten seconds or so after it stops. People would stream across the road without looking, and that was back before everyone had their attention devoted to some electronic device.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

joev said:
    That could leave a lot of cars behind them in the middle of intersections when a light turns red. Not sure that’s too much safer.

You’re describing a situation where the tail end of the bus is against the crosswalk at one end of the block. Instead, the bus could stop on the other end of the block where the front end is at the crosswalk, as if the bus were just stopping at the red light.

This is beginning to sound like one of those things that is just *too* simple and easy for it to work. ;)

misskitty
    Participant

I generally think that Jay walking is a bad idea. Now if there are no cars on the road and there are no crosswalks near I do not see an issue with crossing in the middle. However, that last statement is common sense and I think we know by now that there are many people who lack common sense. That said I really dislike people who jaywalk on busy streets or during prime hours it is stupid. I really wish a cop would sit at Long and 3rd right in front of the two parking garages and hand out tickets to those workers who constantly stop traffic, run in front of traffic and just mope their ass along while crossing even though there is a crosswalk thirty feet away.

Now pedestrians are not always wrong I can say that I have been almost run down more times, than I can count that the intersection of Long and 3rd and I am crossing the right way. Just the other day a COTA bus ran that red light and hit an old woman crossing on foot and while she had the cross light.

ETA: Oh one more thing, whoever thought that putting a crosswalk at the end of a freeway exit ramp is a moron. There is one at Sawmill and 270 worst idea ever…

ricospaz
    Participant

It’s Darwin’s rule.

Yeti22
    Participant

There is a guy that jogs on the streets of German Village near dusk/rushour in all black. Please stop that.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The problem on High Street through Downtown is that half of our streets were closed off back when High Street was turned into a “transit mall” for buses. That got rid of half of the automobile intersections, which also means that half of the pedestrian crossings were removed.

If people need to cross the street at logical placements, then why not re-add intersections for pedestrian crossings rather than force them through police ticketing to inconveniently walk around the car-priority thoroughfare?

I think it could be an interesting experiment to see signals and crosswalks re-added across High at Locust Street, Hickory Street, Lafayette Street, Elm Street, Lynn Street, The Statehouse, Chapel Street, Walnut Street, Cherry Street, Noble Street, and Engler Street. We had them there once, back when walking was more of a priority.

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

Walker said:
    The problem on High Street through Downtown is that half of our streets were closed off back when High Street was turned into a “transit mall” for buses. That got rid of half of the automobile intersections, which also means that half of the pedestrian crossings were removed.

If people need to cross the street at logical placements, then why not re-add intersections for pedestrian crossings rather than force them through police ticketing to inconveniently walk around the car-priority thoroughfare?

I think it could be an interesting experiment to see signals and crosswalks re-added across High at Locust Street, Hickory Street, Lafayette Street, Elm Street, Lynn Street, The Statehouse, Chapel Street, Walnut Street, Cherry Street, Noble Street, and Engler Street. We had them there once, back when walking was more of a priority.

Why not just enforce the cross walks as they stand? The crosswalks are there for pedestrians to use, if you need to get across the street in the middle of the block then cross the street before your destination, not at your destination. I’ve stopped on Broad near the Target and Kroger because a women was crossing the street with her toddler. Not carrying the toddler, walking with them. The crosswalks are there for a reason and they should be enforced. Maybe they can be moved and re-designed at a later date, but at this point there needs to be some heavy enforcement.

mrpoppinzs

Walker’s suggestion might help downtown, but I am not so sure*. I live in the Arena District and frequent the Short North. The amount of people wandering between parked cars to cross High St in the Short North makes it seem like an Easton parking lot. The lack of intersections is really not an issue in the SN. I think people are relatively lazy and assume that they are quicker/smarter/more visible than they are.

I never thought I would be for this, but I think they should start ticketing the jay walkers. I really don’t want some drunk bar hopper bouncing off my hood.

* one possibility is more intersections would equal slower traffic and a percieved lower level of difficulty for the frogger wannabe’s ;)

misskitty
    Participant

Walker said:

We should add Hague Avenue to that list. The speed limit being 35 and it’s a big Jaywalking area in defense of the pedestrians there are no crosswalks between West Broad and Sullivant avenue on that stretch of Hague.
    I don’t think that much can be done downtown to discourage jaywalking people are in too much of a hurry.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE