Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Record-High Pedestrian Deaths in Franklin County

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Record-High Pedestrian Deaths in Franklin County

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author

ScottUlrich
    Participant

The Columbus Dispatch Saturday February 4, 2012 10:03 AM

Into the Crossfire

Pedestrians outside crosswalks and in dark areas or wearing dark clothing put themselves in deadly peril

Quote:
    Last year was the deadliest in recent memory for Franklin County pedestrians. Twenty-three were killed on roadways in the county, according to the State Highway Patrol. The previous high was in 2008 when 22 people were killed.Last year was the deadliest in recent memory for Franklin County pedestrians. Twenty-three were killed on roadways in the county, according to the State Highway Patrol. The previous high was in 2008 when 22 people were killed.

The number of pedestrian deaths fluctuated between 10 and 14 in the other years since 2006.

Safety officials say there is no single reason for the deaths, but they share common characteristics.

The Franklin County fatality-review board so far has investigated 13 of the traffic-related pedestrian deaths last year. They found that 10 occurred in darkness, 11 people were not in a crosswalk, and nine of them were wearing dark clothing. In 11 of the cases, the pedestrian was determined to be at fault.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Dispatch could have done a better headline..

Pedestrian crosswalk? Pedestrian peril!

mrpoppinzs

I almost hit a guy running across High St in the SN last Friday night. The dumbass appeared drunk, was wearing all black and trying to run accross the middle of the street to meet his other drunk buddies. I heard they once used to put up ropes to keep the drunks out of High St by campus.

bayrea
    Participant

I heard they once used to put up ropes to keep the drunks out of High St by campus.

It was actually metal cables… and it was awesome.

DavidF
    Participant

bayrea said:
    It was actually metal cables… and it was awesome.

Ah for those carefree, puke filled streets of yore.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Seriously though, if you want to get hit while walking dress in dark clothes, jump out into traffic from between parked cars while drunk and/or blabbing on your cell.

cheap

it’s not just happening in the city

every couple months or so,an Amish kid will get hit and killed walking down a country road.

they find their body later.troopers never find out who hit them.

howatzer
    Participant

Well, they should get out of the way. I’ll start breaking for pedestrians when they start paying road taxes.

Oh, wait, this isn’t the dispatch comment board?…
    my bad.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Probably not worth posting at this point but what the hell.

Much to be said about the built design. Not saying pedestrians aren’t at fault but can someone tell me the last time we had a pedestrian death in the Short North or German Village?

cbus11

lifeontwowheels said:
    Probably not worth posting at this point but what the hell.

Much to be said about the built design. Not saying pedestrians aren’t at fault but can someone tell me the last time we had a pedestrian death in the Short North or German Village?

Speeds are usually too slow to cause serious injuries but I have seen quite a few pedestrian vs car smash ups in the SN over the years.

the_linotypist
    Participant

Remember the thread about bicyclists on the sidewalks? The sidewalks are no safer for pedestrians than the street.

joev
    Participant

I think police ramping up jaywalking tickets would be a good next step. Especially along High Street. I can’t believe how many people I see sauntering across High near Nationwide at rush hour, completely outside of a crosswalk. It’s just laziness.

If you’re going to jaywalk, a little hustle is appreciated.

Twixlen
    Participant

I’ve said it before here somewhere, and I’ll say it again. I’m amazed that there isn’t someone killed on W Broad St every day. People walk out into traffic on an epidemic level – usually within 50-75 feet of the crosswalk, usually at a full saunter, often from between parked cars, sometimes while talking on a phone, sometimes it’s little kids. W Broad is 6 lanes wide – it’s not a quick trip across the street.

Is it the thrill? That sense of breaking the rules? Perceived time savings? I dunno – it’s full-on stupid.

joev
    Participant

If I had to guess, it’s a combination of ignorance and arrogance.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

joev said:
    I think police ramping up jaywalking tickets would be a good next step. Especially along High Street.

The majority of the jaywalking could be solved if busses either stopped closer to the crosswalks, or there were half-block signaled crosswalks at the Downtown alleys (most of which have been closed off in favor of longer blocks with fewer light for cars). Dumping off bus passengers mid-block on long blocks is practically begging them to jaywalk, especially if they’re making a transfer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE