Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Rebranding Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Rebranding Columbus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 191 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

cbustransit wrote >>
    great idea…but columbus has become so polarizing that its hard to do it

Really? We have like 500 festivals in this city and each one brings out thousands of people, if not hundreds of thousands.

Throw a good party on Columbus Day Weekend and people will come. ;)

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

byJody wrote >>

JimL2 wrote >>

byJody wrote >>
    Personally, I believe if we just make the city better for bicycles and Gay People (repeal DOMA) then we won’t need to market anything. The people in those two groups will organically energize the festivals, arts, active transport, entrepreneurship, fitness events, etc.

Is there anything Gay People like more than organizing art festivals? I doubt it.
    Probably we should also make the city more friendly for Jewish People (add temples?) so that we get their economic prowess.

Do we have laws that discriminate against Jewish people?

So your sole issue with my proposed plan–which relies on the stereotype that Jewish people are naturally talented at amassing wealth–is that we’re already receptive enough to the needs of Jewish people?

Ha ha ha wow.

MikeReed
    Participant

MikeReed wrote >>
    Nah, that is an idea that had it’s time and place- and it isn’t here nor now.

Good thing that idea was never funded then. Would have been a waste of taxpayer dollars.

Couldn’t agree more- not that anyone ever sought funding, but that would have been a disaster. Of course, many sources of funding are actually not public dollars, but private dollars that the rich put into a tax shelter and a Foundation disperses the minimum percentage required by law. Just sayin’.

byJody, do you think the city is getting better for cycling? I commute every single day by bike. I own no car. My experience is that drivers are getting less tolerant and the roads are becoming more perilous. It isn’t that all drivers suck, because the vast majority do not. However, it is a rarity for me not to be menaced in some way almost daily- and that kind of thing seems much more frequent now than it was, say, a year or two ago.

That’s just my personal experience commuting by bicycle on the streets, but that’s how it seems to me. If you’ve had a different experience in your daily commute I would love to hear about it.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Thought this was an interesting quote and related to city branding and national/international recognition:

“I have the feeling that if I want to meet my goals, then I need to move to a place that’s more internationally recognized, like Los Angeles.”

From here: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/life/stories/2010/08/22/area-creator-heading-west.html?sid=101

I definitely think it’s worthwhile to continue to explore ways to put Columbus on that international stage so that people like Anna can achieve their goals here…

…but at the same time, it would be impossible to address every goal of every person. No place in the world is totally suited to everyone. I really don’t think it’s a bad thing if people leave Columbus to pursue something elsewhere. If anything, a higher profile for someone like Anna would be a higher profile for Columbus.

byJody
    Participant

MikeReed wrote >>

MikeReed wrote >>
    Nah, that is an idea that had it’s time and place- and it isn’t here nor now.
    Good thing that idea was never funded then. Would have been a waste of taxpayer dollars.

Couldn’t agree more- not that anyone ever sought funding, but that would have been a disaster. Of course, many sources of funding are actually not public dollars, but private dollars that the rich put into a tax shelter and a Foundation disperses the minimum percentage required by law. Just sayin’.
    byJody, do you think the city is getting better for cycling? I commute every single day by bike. I own no car. My experience is that drivers are getting less tolerant and the roads are becoming more perilous. It isn’t that all drivers suck, because the vast majority do not. However, it is a rarity for me not to be menaced in some way almost daily- and that kind of thing seems much more frequent now than it was, say, a year or two ago.
    That’s just my personal experience commuting by bicycle on the streets, but that’s how it seems to me. If you’ve had a different experience in your daily commute I would love to hear about it.

Now Micheal, I think you know very well that I don’t commute by bicycle, or if you didn’t..I don’t so, so if that was a dig, then point taken. I know you were hit during your commute (the video is painful to see, I can’t imagine being you), so I fully understand you weighing in on whether people are biking less.

I liked reading that thread, yes, some people are biking less, but some are biking more. Since I started at CB, I got a cruiser and use it for errands, lunch, etc, so for me personally I am biking WAY more, if measured in trips versus distance.

To answer your question..”byJody, do you think the city is getting better for cycling?” Obviously, with you being hit and for Jeffery Stephenson and even for the unfortunate Pelotonia rider (though not in Columbus), the city is not at all safe for cyclists. However, are you asking for an overall trend? Overall, I think we are moving in the right direction. I like riding in the High St Sharrows, but I don’t expect them to keep me safe. Whether I am driving in a car, roller blading, riding my razor scooter, or riding my bike, I take partial responsibility for coexisting with other vehicles on the road or sidewalk.

We are all humans trying to coexist while maneuvering our various transportation contraptions. I love this quote from the Copenhagen video. Jeff Mapes: [8:45] “Too much, in the United States, there’s a feeling of the other. That somebody on a bicycle, that’s not me. That’s some different kind of creature. Here, it’s very clear. A person on a cycle, that’s just me using a different mode of transportation”.

I am not saying we are there, but I have to believe we can make steps toward that paradigm shift. I believe it is in our future.

byJody
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

cbustransit wrote >>
    great idea…but columbus has become so polarizing that its hard to do it

Really? We have like 500 festivals in this city and each one brings out thousands of people, if not hundreds of thousands.
    Throw a good party on Columbus Day Weekend and people will come. ;)

Totally agree, the only thing we can do is move forward in an inclusive way that doesn’t sugar coat the past. If certain groups want to protest a celebration of the city, then we should own that and see what we can do to help them feel heard.

Columbusite

@myliftkk – Yes, I definitely agree that businesses working with EC would lead to more exposure for other neighborhoods not in the spotlight but deserve to be. Still, what’s wrong with EC being more active in promoting these hoods? Why am I doing more than they are?

Anyway, we’re already working on getting our old nickname back, so why not reclaim “Arch City” so we at least have a nickname? Even though it doesn’t say anything of substance about the city, everyone likes arches. Let’s get that Gay Street arch at Gay and High, the Brewery District arch on S High, the Clintonville arches on N High, a King-Lincoln arch that people will actually see at Hamilton Park and Broad, and Downtown arches on entrances on both ends of High and Broad, etc.

byJody
    Participant

We are also a designated bike friendly city, but you won’t find these signs hung up anywhere. Something about someone wanting it to be a different color, we got this award 18 months ago.

Analysis Paralysis.

awra2001

cbustransit wrote >>
    @awra2001 and johnwirtz – i agree with you about columbus’ homeyness (thats a word?) and its one reason i like it, but its not something we can really build on is it? Is there a homey festival? and more importantly, does it attract any sort of national attention? not really

Not directly, no. I think about it more as a metatheme. When people hear/see/think about Columbus, they can have that feeling that this is home.

So one of my frustrations with all of the branding efforts we’ve had for this city in the last few years is that they’re fractured. There’s a reason why we have all of these little awards in little pockets – there’s no overarching theme that helps them all make sense and give cohesiveness.

Indie art capital? Great.
    A festival every weekend showing the diversity of our population? Awesome.
    Bike friendly? Woo!

But, seriously, it’s like herding idea-cats. I think having a larger theme (like home, but even something else) can help bring this all together.

Everyone sees this city through the lens of their experiences. I see Grandview, Short North, and OSU because I live, love, and learn in and at those places. It’s going to be different for a family in Clintonville. And each person is going to want to brand it their way. But no one can deny that it’s home.

cbustransit
    Participant

@awra2001 – I completely agree…I think that we have a lot of good things going on but we have failed at taking all of those good things and packaging them appropriately. We definitely need a more overarching brand that can define columbus by bringing all of those disparate elements together even if they do not naturally come together.

Calling it ‘home’ does begin to do that…but I think it has a lot of drawbacks, most specifically because the people we are trying to convey our brand to is as much tourist as future permanent resident…and tourists don’t want to come ‘home’.

I mentioned earlier columbus going after ‘the nature city.’ i am not really pushing it, but its an example of a way we could tie something together. Talking about the parks or foliage in all of our neighborhoods.

Indie Arts could be a good package as well…independent arts could incorporate the playhouses downtown, the galleries in the short north, but also go into more far-flung ideas like festivals, cooking classes, or public art in our different neighborhoods. Its a term that brings together a lot of things into one phrase and that can define a person’s experience in the city, but its not so narrow that few people could enjoy it.

Basically, i agree with you that we need a brand that is broad enough that many of columbus’ opportunities can fall into the category and many people with their experiences can buy into it…but also narrow enough that it can give the city an identity. aka…not ‘surprise! its columbus’ which really means nothing.

Tigertree

@Columbusite, the EC problem you are talking about is one I think about a lot. At what point should organizations like the SNBA or EC be promoting non member businesses or districts as a whole because it helps the member businesses as well? We are rejoining the SNBA (after a bit of a lapse) because we want to support a lot of the initiatives (like weeding the Ibiza lot) that Diesha is heading up. But those indirect support items are usually overlooked more often in favor of how many mentions you got in a magazine that you can attribute to the organization. I don’t know what the right answer is because on the one hand everyone benefits more if an organization can promote an area to seem more robust and vibrant, but as more and more businesses feel they are getting the same benefits without paying for them, they stop seeing the point in paying for them. And while alternative funding strategies seem like the answer, time spent looking for those is time not spent weeding and getting mentions in magazines…

As for the Home brand, I think it sounds rural (like having your identity linked to a football team or something), I do really like the sentiment of it. Adam said something in our initial Wonderland presentation at Junctionview about all of the positives of our small town/big cityness and I think there is definitely something there worth pursuing, but using the word home would scare me off. I guess (and I know others have said this) is wether it is targeted at visitors or residents. The residents thing could actually be a pretty interesting strategy. One thing about Columbus residents, is they love Columbus. Stoke that flame and use them to promote it.

JonMyers
    Participant

Branding is hard work, it can be fierce and requires a highly competitive spirit.

It’s not brainstorming a slogan and waiting for the world to notice it.

cbustransit
    Participant

true enough jonmyers…it also takes a long-term commitment…we can’t just do it and we’re done…it needs to be constant

artbomb112
    Participant

cbustransit wrote >>
    true enough jonmyers…it also takes a long-term commitment…we can’t just do it and we’re done…it needs to be constant

Good. So we are moving the right direction. Now maybe we can stop looking for the magic pill or the silver bullet and just get back to work. Action speaks louder than words. Unless of course you are a loudmouth. And no one likes a loudmouth. Let’s not be one of those.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 191 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: