Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Rebranding Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Rebranding Columbus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 191 total)
  • Author

artbomb112
    Participant

GeorgeFox wrote >> Who the hell is Adam B?

Hi George Fox.

Apparently we have alot in common. We are both nobody special.

artbomb112
    Participant

Oh… and for my two cents… I think we should do exactly the opposite of what Cleveland did. We should instead of putting LeBron on a giant banner… to eventually rip down when he leaves… instead put banners up of all the nobodys that aren’t Jack Hanna, but are working hard to make the city as awesome as we each individually can… all around our city.. to show how these nobodys are our superheroes. Everyday superheroes. People that care. That’s my city.

tree_sketcher
    Participant

giant murals/graphics of our citizens all over the city…cool! Its a heck of a lot better than giant hailstones or paint buckets. If we all agree that our strength is our diversity and we aren’t a one trick pony, then why fight it. Show it off.

artbomb112
    Participant

Walker Evans, Liz Lessner, Joe Spinelli, Kent Rigsby, Dan Dougan, Mike Brown, Wolf Starr, Erin Moore, Chris Sherman, Michael Wilkos, Jami Goldstein, Eliza Jones, Josh Quinn, Andrew Dodson, Jacquie Mahan, Nancy Duncan Porter, Denny Griffith, Kristen Jensen, Robbie Banks, Paul Liu, Daniel Fox, Jim Sweeney, Nikos Rutkowski, Coreroc… there are dozens.. and I’m sure in this two minutes of compiling a list that there are dozens I’m leaving off that could be included….

I mean… we could do this all day. These people are amazing… and do amazing things… and if we haven’t learned that strength in numbers is a proven model of success… then our eyes aren’t open. Imagine the motivational support we would have on others in our own city to do awesome things if people with small ideas that make impact were hailed as heroes. Imagine CBS Sundy Morning show hearing of a city that hails its hometown heroes by celebrating their efforts.

artbomb112
    Participant

tree_sketcher wrote >>
    giant murals/graphics of our citizens all over the city…cool! Its a heck of a lot better than giant hailstones or paint buckets. If we all agree that our strength is our diversity and we aren’t a one trick pony, then why fight it. Show it off.

Ok… I add Pete Scantland to the list. He was smart enough to come up with the idea to make our billboards less boring (paintbuckets, etc). And rather than replace his work… lets hail him. Congratulations Pete for making our billboards not suck. You are now officially a spokesperson for Columbus.

SusanB
    Participant

Columbus is indeed full of remarkable people. And something that makes Columbus great is that anything is possible here. Anyone can have an idea and make it happen in Columbus. Ironically that’s what the folks that are in charge of Columbus’ branding keep missing. It’s why we ARE the Indie Art Capital and an artisian food center and a city of great neighborhoods and on and on and on.

artbomb112
    Participant

Perhaps Experience Columbus should create a way for someone to nominate people doing awesome things in town and describe what they are doing…. then put them ALL online for voting…. if you get 50 votes… they make a banner of you.

GeorgeFox

Artbomb,

All of those people have helped make Columbus a great place. Point made. We do have a lot of people, especially young, doing things that are keeping Columbus thriving while many of our surrounding cities have struggled .

My point wasn’t to demean Walker or Adam B (still not sure who that is), but using some higher recognizable figures to open the door…

That being said, most of the people on your list are self made and have been instrumental in creating an unique environment in the core section of Columbus. Can that group appeal to tourists looking for that? Yeah, I think so. Use Portland as model (which, aside from public transit, Columbus has many similarities.

artbomb112
    Participant

Portland has a Liz Lessner? A Walker Evans? A Gordon Gee?

I think not. But hey… I’m just Adam B.

;)

anyway… like I said earlier… I think if the city wants to work on its brand… it needs to only put the people on that list in front of the Gordon Gees and the Jim Tressels and the Jack Hannas… so they know about the awesome things they are doing… and as they go around.. they will promote their efforts. I went to a meeting where Gordon Gee invited a bunch of us art kids out to his house to sit and listen to what we had to say. About 50 of us. It was brilliant. He listened. Not only that…. but he brought his friends from City Council, major businesses, and major institutions….

Genius.

And now… when he goes out to talk to the world… he remembers the names and faces and activities of those people (i’m sure not all of them, but collectively) and he can talk about what they do.

Working together never worked better than now. Independent we stand, united for all.

GeorgeFox

Adam,

Got it…again, good points! Portland has no Liz…but has some mean microbreweries and a very strong arts scene.

I think we’re on the same page…these guys can’t speak for the city unless they know the story and the stories from those keeping the city going.

Now…keeping Jack Hanna from getting attacked by bears…. ;)

MikeReed
    Participant

I’m not convinced that Indie Art is going to be much of a draw over the long haul for Columbus. There are a couple of interesting things in existence or on the horizon- but not anything that you can’t find in other locales (and I could name some places that absolutely clean Columbus’ clock in this area). We’re likely to end up with a handful of Columbus-sized Art efforts, but we’re not creating anything that isn’t already done well someplace where a NYC or an Ocean is also a fairly proximate draw. I think an opportunity was missed there, but that’s one man’s opinion. When the timing was right the resources were not.

But, then, that’s the real issue- really.

See Columbus doesn’t have an identity issue. Our identity isn’t the problem- it is a symptom of the real problem. That’s why any effort to work on an “identity project” will fall flat. Not because the people working on it aren’t bright enough or that the people who live in Columbus are interesting enough nor that there aren’t great things going on. The original article this post pointed to nails it, but it is easy to gloss over. What we have is a failure to secure and maintain sufficient resource toward initiatives that are compelling enough to be of great cultural significance.

That level of resource is not forthcoming… so the good ideas and efforts that do exist can not get the kind of traction to really take off, nor to sustain for a duration long enough to generate compelling depth. In the absence of adequately funded compelling ideas (that also are sustained to generate depth) you end up looking around and finding that there isn’t a whole hell of a lot to point to as an exemplar of the “Columbus Story”. That’s what the author asserts Indy has done well- invested real money in risky ideas.

If Columbus has any story to tell it is a story of historically failing to provide resource to our brightest, edgiest, non-conformist thinkers. That’s the story that generates a city incapable of finding a pronounced identity and without an ability to be honest about even that- where can you go from there? Around in the same circles is all…

Have you ever noticed that all of the meta-story about the Columbus Story absolutely assumes that everything is fantastic… we just aren’t telling it quite right. Some aspect of our collective Story must not be so fantastic- otherwise our story would be compelling, it would have depth and unity, and it would all but tell itself. Identity would be easy if things were going so well.

So tell the real story- tell the truth. It might not be something everyone can feel good about at every turn… but if it is the truth it can inspire in ways that safe, formulaic bullshit won’t. It can be a story of loss, redemption and reconciliation. You can’t tell the real story, tho, unless everyone is willing to dive bravely into the truth and to break a few rules.

And that would be going out on a limb- but that’s OK in Columbus! Right?

The Identity Project effort is trying to tackle a symptom- but not an actual problem itself. That’s why no answer to the conundrum has been forthcoming. A real solution would be curing what created that we even have an identity issue in the first place… and the truth isn’t that “everything is peachy and we’ve just not all been telling the same story”.

The truth is always much darker than that.

The “real people” idea is a nugget of something interesting. But not murals here… do a national campaign. Every major city’s newspapers. Primetime TV. Massive internet campaign. Who the hell is ________? Insert some Columbus resident. Avoid the same old go-to people. There are many interesting people who are not enjoying a constant spotlight. It wouldn’t amount to much if it was the usual suspects- and it gets kinda lazy seeing the same faces over and over again. We know who the go-to interesting people are… what we don’t know is all of the interesting people we aren’t already seeing. Do some work. They are out there.

GeorgeFox

Adam,

Got it…again, good points! Portland has no Liz…but has some mean microbreweries and a very strong arts scene.

I think we’re on the same page…these guys can’t speak for the city unless they know the story and the stories from those keeping the city going.

Now…keeping Jack Hanna from getting attacked by bears…. ;)

artbomb112
    Participant

I think it is important that we stop using “talk” and start using “do”. Ideas are great… but actions change peoples willingness to fund. Maybe I’m just the tortoise and not the hare.

When we stop talking and start doing… yeah… there will be problems. You and I know that well Mike. And I don’t think it is a problem to be honest about the experience. Look at Pete…. he had lawsuits and haters… but his idea came to reality because he kept doing. Now he is successful and we have nice billboards instead of crappy ones.

Columbus is full of doers. And despite the bumps (especially the big bump you mention about not financially backing some of the best ideas)… i think we do pretty well.

cbustransit
    Participant

@mikereed – you’re right. whatever we ‘pick’ as our brand, we absolutely have to back it up with funding. If we are doing people, we need to advertise it. If we are doing indie arts, we need a massive publicly funded indie-arts fest and the columbus indie awards. if we are doing nature we need tours of the city’s parks/plant life. if we are doing ice cream we need tax rebates for ice cream companies and the largest ‘ice cream day parade’ ever. whatever we do, our brand cannot just be a tagline. I love indie arts capital, but then we need to come up with a comprehensive plan with how to take that name and our current strengths and grow them. Everyone needs to get on board and we need to repeat that name, grow those strengths in everything we do. The one place I feel we have accomplished anything like that is in the ‘arch city’ name. It is one of the only things that you see all over the city. Next time we build a tower, it will have some sort of arch. do that with something else too.

+1 to cbustransit, artbomb112 and all the other good ideas flowing in this topic.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 191 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: