Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Rebranding Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Rebranding Columbus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 181 through 191 (of 191 total)
  • Author

The brand is smart- in more ways than one. I think “open” plays to Columbus’ huge gay population- without saying “Hey we’re gay friendly!!!” all loud and proud. It is subtle.

Don’t tell me you didn’t catch that this was half about business (smart) and half about gayness (open). C’mon. Think about it.

byJody
    Participant

The 200ColumbUS branding has started. I think I saw a print ad recently.

Read past newsletters http://200columbus.com/news/

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

Wow! That some goofy stuff we got served. The concluding lines of the biz journal article say it all

McGinty said it’s up to Columbus residents and businesses to elevate the city’s image as “open and smart.”
    “We have to pay this off,” he said. “The real branding is how we behave.”

We have to pay it off indeed. The real branding is how we behave???? What are we morons, “sit up straight Bubba, look sharp Earl, wipe that drool off your chin. We have to live up to our branding!”

What’s up with the umlaut or star above the U, is that a tip o the hat to German village? Saw the arches in the first image in the biz journal article…my first thought with “open” was “open hearts open minds” (a great branding for the United Church of Christ) . yes it is code for gay friendly..why not “cruise by and check us out” , or Columbus you’ll like our package of tax breaks, corporate subsidies, and somnambulant media.

the open smart motto link takes one to the about/present page

Celebrating the present (Zen?)

Columbus is a city with an open-minded approach to life and business. It’s a smart city with a progressive attitude, where people are free to go out on a limb. Where diversity isn’t just a state of being, but a state of mind. It’s made real through people, businesses, and neighborhoods — every day. Because we share the philosophy that Columbus is open to all, we are always taking risks, always thinking big, and always open to new ideas.

OK that’s some pretty weak text, it sounds very high school graduation, pollyannish. The buzz-words are very tired. Go out on a limb? hardly, always taking risks? do we live in the same town?

From Why Columbus (an admission of inferiority?)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaq_bDYYI4s

the third speaker comes right out and addresses our gayness

littlefishy

The weird part is how tongue-in-cheek the gay reference is. It is saying “open” wink, wink, nod, nod… as if saying “sure we have a lot of gays”, but our gays are “well behaved” or are kept under control or something. That saddens me.

Columbus is known for a large gay and gay-friendly population. I’ve always been very proud of that. It is in poor taste to brand as if to attract potential businesses/economic development that we “have our gays under control” or whatever this “brand” is trying to say without actually saying it.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The “open and smart” thing is intentionally left open-ended so that it can be used to mean a very wide variety of things.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

They should go with a crossroads theme. From Indian paths and water trails to canals and roads and highways, this has always been a place where interests converge – and that’s just in the simple physical sense. That brings about convergence among diverse social elements and activities.

It’s not so much that we need to boast about being open, but we can at least say we’re not closed. This is not like some places where if you’re not born there, you’re an outsider for life.

johnwirtz
    Participant

alexs said:
    They should go with a crossroads theme. From Indian paths and water trails to canals and roads and highways, this has always been a place where interests converge – and that’s just in the simple physical sense. That brings about convergence among diverse social elements and activities.

It’s not so much that we need to boast about being open, but we can at least say we’re not closed. This is not like some places where if you’re not born there, you’re an outsider for life.

Isn’t that indiana’s slogan? “Crossroads of America”

“America’s Jelly Filling”. How does that strike you?

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

polymethylmethacrylate said:
    “America’s Jelly Filling”. How does that strike you?

That would be Indiana.

clancy12
    Participant

JonMyers said:
    I dunno. A lot of these slogans just ring as gibberish to me. A concerted marketing campaign can build meaning into these slogans, but that costs a lot of money. I don’t watch TV or commercials so “Pure Michigan” means absolutely nothing to me. I would suspect people don’t naturally refer to Michigan as “pure” in the course of their conversations about the state.

Really? “Pure Michigan” has actually been very successful. It is one of the most visited travel web sites. Of course, with three Great Lakes and a multitude of inland lakes, tourism has always been one of Michigan’s top industries. If you don’t like the outdoors it may not be the place for you, but there are plenty of people who plan their vacations around outdoor activities.
    There’s the rub. There has to be something truly special or all the marketing campaigns in the world aren’t going to work.

News
    Participant

Columbus’ Creative Energy Helps Build City’s Brand, Nationwide Notoriety
    Wednesday January 30, 2013 4:27 PM

Six years ago, the City of Columbus came to a crossroads about its identity. Mayor Michael Coleman formed a committee that sparked the process to explore the capital city’s image – or lack thereof.

More than just a branding message came out of the effort, though.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/01/30/10tv-news-presents-columbus-creative-energy-helps-build-citys-brand.html

Viewing 11 posts - 181 through 191 (of 191 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE