Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Rebranding Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Rebranding Columbus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 191 total)
  • Author

JonMyers
    Participant

Right on. You should make a shirt with a slogan that says “Don’t slogan me, bro”. :)

I think “weird” is just the best descriptor for who they are collectively. Other words like “diverse” or “different” don’t have quite the same punch (and convey something else).

It’s also not “weird” as in, “we pick our noses and talk about dragons and pee ourselves” but “weird” as in, “We are lots of things, many of them indescribable. Let me try…no, no, sorry. I guess we’re just…weird!” THAT “weird.”

And sure, it’s the chicken after the egg (they were weird before they were labeled so), but I don’t think Columbus needs to grow or aspire into a slogan. Although the more I think about it, I’d love to borrow from Mel Brooks and adopt the slogan, “Keep it Gay!”

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Maybe Tigertree has a fear of being accosted by Teresa Taylor selling a Madonna pap smear.

Joking aside, that movie probably more to brand Austin as “Weird” than any slogan.

Bear
    Participant

It occurs to me that the diversity that people are struggling to describe in the city is reflected in its geography, and that if we were to pick up on that parallel we might be able to do something with it.

A lot of the discussion has been about how to fit urban/edgy/artsy together with rural/homey/etc. into a single concept. One of the things that strikes me about Columbus is that living in Columbus is like living in nearly a dozen different cities–the Short North/Vic Village, the University, downtown, Olde Towne East, German Village, Clintonville, Grandview, Italian Village, Franklinton, and so on. I know people will say “Yeah, but that’s like SoHo and the East Village and…” but it’s not… these neighborhoods are, for the most part, surprisingly distinct, both visually and geographically.

I wonder if there isn’t something more tangible in that theme of… call it diversity within unity… that could be brought out. It explains a lot of what Jon probably had trouble explaining to the woman at the coffee shop, and it’s one of the first things I tell visitors: It looks like one city, but it’s really not, it’s a bunch of small cities that are tied together. And that tells them a lot, right away.

I don’t have a slogan or a brand coming out of this, but maybe this will get the gears turning with the more artsy types.

myliftkk
    Participant

Interesting to see what Tyson McAdoo filmed during his 27hr swing through Columbus.

Maybe we should just invite short term visitors to film their experiences and load them all up to EC.

viciouslove1980
    Participant

columbus: it smells like donuts.

Bear
    Participant

Just hit me: “Gestalt City.”

oh fine.

Public Artz

`

johnwirtz
    Participant

cbustransit wrote >>
    this is funny/interesting
    http://media.away.com/images/outside/201008/graph.pdf

Did you notice that there are only three cities on that chart without the state name added as a suffix:
    -Cleveland
    -Milwuakee
    -San Diego

It won’t be an easy task due to the common nature of the name “Columbus,” but I think Columbus should aspire to eliminate the “Ohio” tag that people are forced to add to the end of its name in order to clarify which Columbus. If we can become a prominent enough Columbus that people no longer have to tag “Ohio” onto the end to clarify, then we will know we are the biggest and baddest Columbus.

I think Portland has achieved this. It’s Oregon by default. Maine has to specify.

Columbusite

myliftkk wrote >>

Columbusite wrote >>
    @myliftkk – Yes, I definitely agree that businesses working with EC would lead to more exposure for other neighborhoods not in the spotlight but deserve to be. Still, what’s wrong with EC being more active in promoting these hoods? Why am I doing more than they are?

@cbusite – You’re fundamentally mis-identifying the reality of the relationship between something like EC and neighborhoods of Columbus. The goal of EC is to win eyeballs for Columbus, by their own definition, to be the “orchestrator of a unique, positive and unparalleled experience for any and all visitors to Columbus.” Whether any of us agree on the how well it does that job or not, we can agree that nowhere does EC say it is dedicated to evenly dividing the spotlight it casts on the many neighborhoods of Columbus.
    This isn’t about whether something deserves recognition, and that’s s key concept you have to accept at its core to move onto what the real issue is that has to be tackled and that’s for these neighborhoods to adopt and practice a consistent, successful, marketing and branding strategy within their own neighborhoods (and by consistent, I mean longer than a few months).
    For example, consider Olde North Columbus. I’ve lived in cbus for 5 years and I’ve seen two things happen there that I remember, first they got road/sidewalk improvements, and second, they’ve just installed arches. I know there are a few restaurants there, but you know what, when I go in to get my haircut at mug n’ brush every month, there’s virtually not a single piece of neighborhood high st. business marketing inside his business (it’s almost all non high st. or out of hood) that I ever remember. You know how often Jim has ever discussed a local neighborhood business with me, or even suggested I visit another local business, again never. That’s not a EC problem, that’s a localized marketing problem that EC can’t solve. That problem has to be solved long before you’re going to see EC come knocking at that hood’s door with any frequency.
    When you say you’re working harder at it that EC, you have to also admit you’re also working harder at it than a lot of the businesses you’re promoting. The latter is a much bigger problem than the former. If the latter gets solved, the former will work itself out in time.

I agree it’s not EC’s job to give everyone their fair share of the spotlight and I certainly don’t expect them to do so for neighborhoods like Linden even though there are worthy destinations; it’s just not for your average visitor and not likely somewhere an out-of-town family would want to take their kids out to eat.

While ONC businesses don’t promote themselves much if at all,
    I just wonder how hard is it to mention in passing that it’s a spot you might want to check out for live music, bars, and a good variety of restaurants: ethnic or not. Again, they don’t have to, but it certainly undersells the variety that this city has to offer.

Columbusite

Oh, and I still think we should forget slogans and push for the nickname of “The Arch City”. Again, while it’s not scientific by any means, a brief look on Yelp at Portland and Austin’s amenities vs. ours, such as restaurant and nightlife options, show they both offer around twice as much in those departments. I can’t help but think that has some kind of effect. As for the “,OH” we’ve already kicked the competition’s ass long ago. We are the Columbus: period.

JonMyers
    Participant

St. Louis seems to own and control the conversation around “Arch City“.

Columbus missed that opportunity.

JonMyers wrote >>
    St. Louis seems to own and control the conversation around “Arch City“.
    Columbus missed that opportunity.

Im not sure how many Arches St. Louis has but, maybe if we went with City of Arches? Seeing how we have many.

JonMyers
    Participant

ColumbusYuppie – I guess for me arches are architectural amenities. They’re nice to haves, but in the case of St. Louis, they don’t tell me much else about the city other than they have arches.

It may not be the most productive use of time to try and snatch the designation from another Mid-Western city when the core of the message doesn’t really scale beyond – we have arches. Just my 2 cents.

HeySquare
    Participant

Gestalt City: If you understand what this slogan means, we want you here. :)

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 191 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: