Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Rant: I hate the term Urban Pioneer

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Rant: I hate the term Urban Pioneer

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The Term “Urban Poineer” and Media Portrayals of the City
    4 MAY 2011

A reporter from a local radio station recently interviewed me for a story about “urban pioneers.”

I didn’t think much of it, until I started reading this amazing book called Missing Women, Missing News. Turns out, this term is based on some pretty suspect assumptions about cities and the people who inhabit them.

READ MORE: http://rustwire.com/2011/05/04/the-term-urban-poineer-and-media-portrayals-of-the-city/

great article and spot on Walker. I think the term is appropriate when you move into an inner city neighborhood, try to fix up your house and keep the crack heads from destroying what you have made nice and put a fence up to keep the criminals from steeling your lawn furniture and then install a security system to keep the thieves from breaking into your house then you qualify as an “urban pioneer” and are living on the frontier – where all your neighbors want to take what you’ve got! But there are places like this in the burbs and country side too!

10sun

KingLincolnUrbanEnthusiast wrote >>
    great article and spot on Walker. I think the term is appropriate when you move into an inner city neighborhood, try to fix up your house and keep the crack heads from destroying what you have made nice and put a fence up to keep the criminals from steeling your lawn furniture and then install a security system to keep the thieves from breaking into your house then you qualify as an “urban pioneer” and are living on the frontier – where all your neighbors want to take what you’ve got! But there are places like this in the burbs and country side too!

You either did not read the article or have no reading comprehension.
    You simply reinforce the suburban stereotypes and do NOTHING to help further the neighborhoods you so desperately wish to be associated with.
    I’m sending you a blanket w/ smallpox.

Liz Sloan
    Participant

Urban Pioneers are a three piece string band that spend over 250 days of the year playing hillbilly music for fine folks such as yourselves in the U.S. and abroad! Previously based out of TN, they are now rooted in Texas. Fiddle, banjo and upright bass make up their sound of sweet melodies, blistering fast tempos and a wide range of roots based influences.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

It’s barely 6pm and Liz is already smashed.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

What else would you call people moving to a former industrial/warehouse area, particularly an area that’s largely vacant of existing residents?

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE