Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Rant: I hate the term Urban Pioneer

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Rant: I hate the term Urban Pioneer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author

cbus11

Just finished a nice evening out with some friends who have moved to OTE. They must have used the term ‘urban pioneer’ five times. I am wondering what the previous people who lived in this continually inhabited area called themselves. sigh.

10sun

I’ve actually been thinking quite a lot about “urban pioneer” and Frederick Jackson Turner’s Frontier Thesis: The Significance of the Frontier in American History. I won’t say that people moving into areas such as OTE quite qualify as pioneers in the sense of moving into a frontier unless you think about how they are slowly displacing the natives and sending them to reservations only to be shuffled around and lost. Call them Urban Settlers and ask if the lower class of urban centers has a “Trail of Tears”.

However, in areas that are both urban and desolate such as former industrial parts of town and you have a few people moving into said areas; converting old offices and warehouses while trying to get zoning changed… those are urban pioneers. You won’t see many of them in Columbus, but Detroit & Cleveland already have a few of those pioneer settlements popping up.

cbus11

That is pretty much where I am coming from. It is being used more frequently and seems to be becoming cliche. I really just think it is a poor definition in many cases and can be misappropriated, especially when imbuing merit without giving thought to historical contexts.

Maybe it just sounds so much cooler than gentrifier.

jimbach
    Participant

I’ve actually been giving this a lot of thought myself (someone referred to me as an ‘urban pioneer’ the other day) since it doesn’t exactly cast a positive light on people whom I consider to be my friends and neighbors.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I don’t know that my shitty neighborhood has gotten all that better in the two years I’ve lived here…does that mean I’m more like the Donner Party than say Daniel Boon?

groundrules
    Participant

you need to plant more apple trees.

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

im putting up split rail fencing here in the rural enclave of east franklinton.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

frontier seems like a useful term, remember when Italian village north of 1st was the frontier, seems weinland park still is. I’ve heard east of Ohio is the frontier. Urban pioneer may be trite, what about homesteaders?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

At what point is a coon skin cap appropriate?

groundrules
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>

Depends how you wear it. Tipped? Tail to the side?

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

groundrules wrote >>

Snarf wrote >>

bedazzled.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

groundrules wrote >>

Snarf wrote >>

slim with a tilted brim of course.

groundrules
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>

groundrules wrote >>

Snarf wrote >>

slim with a tilted brim of course.

leave the tag on it.

paktinat

groundrules
    Participant

this is legit. i saw walker carrying a musket and a stack of beaver pelts on gay street.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE