Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Raising Kids in The City

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Raising Kids in The City

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 106 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

We’ve had a good experience so far at 5th Ave International in Victorian Village. There were some major busing problems district-wide the first two weeks of school back in the fall, but it’s been pretty smooth once that was ironed out. Our son really enjoys the after-school programs offered by the City’s Rec & Parks Department where he can spend more time with friends who aren’t in his class or who are in different grades. He’s made a bunch of new friends this year.

Academically, we feel our son is learning rapidly, though we also make sure he completes all homework every week and he reads to us at bedtime every night. We give him harder and harder books (we’ve been reading the Junie B. Jones chapter books lately, which he enjoys because they’re silly) and he seems to be learning very quickly. His teacher is great, very communicative with us, and the school has an active private Facebook page where teachers, parents, PTA members and the principle can discuss concerns, answer questions or seek volunteers or supplies.

Anne can answer more about volunteering as she’s been going in help out once a week with reading assessment with all first graders. There’s a lot of kids who need help catching up, and we’re thinking about ways we can try to get more people (parents and non-parents) involved in the process. Little contributions of supplies and time can really go a long way… we just need a critical mass of people. ;)

Shelley Mann
    Shelley Mann
    Participant

I was just thinking it’d be awesome to have a Short North Parents meeting sometime in the next couple of months. My daughter heads to kindergarten next year, the deadline for lottery applications is approaching and I’d love to be able to hash out the options with nearby parents before then.

DouginCMH
    Participant

It was pretty easy finding volunteer opportunities at Clinton Elementary, primarily because of the long-time strength and commitment of the PTA and the relationship it has with the school. Like it says in the PTA website[/url]:

If your question is, “How do I get involved at Clinton School?” the answer is easy. Fill out and return the volunteer form that will come home in your child’s backpack, sign up for the PTA e-mail list, answer the calls for help at school events and activities, and then roll up your sleeves and help to support the staff and teachers at Clinton, and the work of our SOMSD schools and leaders.

Oh! This this THIS: “Our goal is to have reading buddies in all 73 schools”. My friend Amy volunteers for this at OaklandPark and loooooooooves it:

http://www.ccsoh.us/protected/ArticleView.aspx?iid=5G322I&dasi=33Y2

AmyJ
    Participant

Hi! Reading Buddies is an excellent way to get into the elementary schools and see what’s happening. I meet with two students at Oakland Park once a week for about an hour total. You read with them and do some comprehension work while also chatting about their day. I can’t say enough good things about the experience.

I also volunteer as a Junior Achievement classroom instructor which is typically in middle school classes. It’s an hour once a week for 6-8 weeks.

I used to do Project Mentor through Big Brothers Big Sisters as well and it had both tutoring and social components to it. That was only an hour commitment once a week.

I think through volunteering, school events, and lottery tours, I’ve seen a big percentage of our school buildings. My son and I have been known to show up at other school’s plays, concerts, and games just to see what’s happening in the different schools. CCS can be a great place for you and your child, but you really have to invest the time and energy into it. I’ve also met some of the smartest, most passionate people I’ve ever known through school things so reach out to other parents and start attending as many PTA/PTO/neighborhood meetings as you can.

kandrews
    Participant

Thanks everyone! It looks like the Short North Parents group will be meeting towards the end of March (thanks Shelley for touching base with the FB group).

I will definitely be checking into Reading Buddies and touching base with Godman Guild. FYI – I attended Oakland Park;) I want to volunteer specifically at Weinland Park since that’s our neighborhood school.

Walker is there a list of supplies that are in general need? Or is it the standard type stuff (pencils, markers, etc). I’ve been keeping lids and corks for art supplies for a while and since Generation Green on Sawmill is no longer – I have some stuff that would be fun for kids to use.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

kandrews, the art room at Fifth Ave always takes supplies, I have dropped off bags of stuff there before.

I’m not aware of an actual list out there of needed supplies, beyond just getting things off of the normal school supply list.

I asked my son’s teacher what she needed for the class and she told me some specific items to get. You may try calling the school and just asking if they have needs. There is also a pta leader there they might put you in touch with.

When it was so hot the school needed fans, so there are different needs throughout the year.

heresthecasey
    Participant

CCS appears to be recommending the closure of the Fifth Ave Elementary building, but the program and students would be moved to Hubbard, where the catchment area would be expanded and redrawn to include downtown,

Fifth Avenue Elementary, near Victorian Village. It has a capacity of 956 but an enrollment of 370. Students would be assigned to a new school with a Mandarin Chinese language option, at the Hubbard Elementary Building in Victorian Village. That school’s assignment area would include Downtown.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/02/07/Columbus_recommends_closing_seven_schools.html

derm
    derm
    Participant

kandrews said:
    Thanks everyone! It looks like the Short North Parents group will be meeting towards the end of March (thanks Shelley for touching base with the FB group).

I will definitely be checking into Reading Buddies and touching base with Godman Guild. FYI – I attended Oakland Park;) I want to volunteer specifically at Weinland Park since that’s our neighborhood school.

Walker is there a list of supplies that are in general need? Or is it the standard type stuff (pencils, markers, etc). I’ve been keeping lids and corks for art supplies for a while and since Generation Green on Sawmill is no longer – I have some stuff that would be fun for kids to use.
    </blockquote/>

Back when my kids were in elementary school, at this time of year the teachers were asking for more Kleenex and hand sanitizer for the rooms.

kandrews
    Participant

Thanks! I’ll be touching base with Weinland Park Elementary tomorrow to double check on supply/volunteer needs.

By the way, the Short North Parents group has confirmed a date/location for the first meeting. For all that are interested, here is their message:

Short North Parents Meeting
    Friday, February 21, 2014 6-8PM @ Seventh Son Brewing
    We’ve been hard at work this past year collecting survey data, analyzing responses, meeting with Columbus City Schools officials, and formulating an opinion on how the Short North’s school system should change to meet the needs of our growing urban neighborhood.

Please join us to discuss topics such as:

Networking with neighborhood parents
    Survey & Census Data
    CCS Lottery system
    Your thoughts on what needs to change
    A special thanks to Jen at Seventh Son Brewing for offering their event room to host our meeting.

Seventh Son Brewing
    1101 N 4th St
    Columbus, OH 43201

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

kandrews said:
    Short North Parents Meeting
    Friday, February 21, 2014 6-8PM @ Seventh Son Brewing
    We’ve been hard at work this past year collecting survey data, analyzing responses, meeting with Columbus City Schools officials, and formulating an opinion on how the Short North’s school system should change to meet the needs of our growing urban neighborhood.

Please join us to discuss topics such as:

Networking with neighborhood parents
    Survey & Census Data
    CCS Lottery system
    Your thoughts on what needs to change
    A special thanks to Jen at Seventh Son Brewing for offering their event room to host our meeting.

Seventh Son Brewing
    1101 N 4th St
    Columbus, OH 43201

Tonight!

News
    Participant

To Stay in the City with Kids, Parents Band Together to Improve Columbus Schools
    From the November 2014 edition
    Joel Oliphint

Lawyer Gus Dahlberg and his wife moved to Clintonville in 2003 while she was pregnant. The topic of schools came up often, and he kept hearing the same thing from his neighbors: Public schools in Clintonville are OK, but you may want to look at private schools. And be careful when you get to middle school.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusmonthly.com/content/stories/2014/11/to-stay-in-the-city-with-kids-parents-band-together-to-improve-columbus-schools.html

News
    Participant

Thursday, December 4, 2014
    What Are Cities Doing to Hold on to Families With Kids?
    by Angie Schmitt

In Atlanta, the regional planning commission recently created a “millennial advisory committee” in response to lackluster retention of young college grads. Bradley Calvert at Family Friendly Cities notes that the agency should be even more alarmed by the drop in the population of kids in the city:

READ MORE: http://streetsblog.net/2014/12/04/what-are-cities-doing-to-hold-on-to-families-with-kids/

News
    Participant

What Happens When Millennials Age Out of Micro-Lofts?
    BY ALEXIS STEPHENS | JUNE 2, 2015

Earlier this year, I wrote about how Washington, D.C., has had trouble retaining middle-class millennials, when couples have children. Clearly, they are not the only city struggling with this issue; cities not only have to plan for young migrants, but for a few years down the line — to when 30-somethings age out of sleeping in loft beds in modern micro-units.

READ MORE: http://nextcity.org/daily/entry/millennialls-having-families-move-suburbs-micro-lofts

heresthecasey
    Participant

What Happens When Millennials Age Out of Micro-Lofts?

All of these articles act like once ‘the kids’ grow up, there won’t be any more young people around to replace them. I highly doubt micro-units in DC, SF, NY or other high-demand urban centers are going to be hurting for tenants anytime soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 106 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The 6th Annual Columbus Dessert Festival Returns!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO