Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Raising Kids in The City

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Raising Kids in The City

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 106 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Crawlable Urbanism: Cities Are for Kids, Too

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

by Tanya Snyder

All of a sudden, I feel like all anyone is talking about is whether it’s a good idea to raise kids in the city. I’m raising a kid in the city. I feel great about it when she has a blast on the back of the bike, or makes friends on the bus, or gets excited about pressing the beg button at the corner. I feel a little less certain when we toddle down the sidewalk and come upon guys peeing on the dumpster or passed out on the stoop. When I look at the test scores for our neighborhood schools, I get a knot in my stomach.

READ MORE: http://dc.streetsblog.org/2013/08/13/crawlable-urbanism-cities-are-for-kids-too/

catnfiddle
    Participant

How on earth did you find and post a blog written by one of my brother’s friends from high school? Wild.

More related to the topic, aforementioned brother and his wife have been raising their daughter in New York City. No damage to report. If anything, that kid is crazy about learning from her surroundings.

GCrites80s
    Participant

And I bet she’s not fat.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

We’ve had a pretty positive experience raising kids in an urban neighborhood thus far. Honestly, I don’t think it’s all that removed from a more suburban location. We’re not living in a highrise building, so we still have a backyard and some room to play and a car to drive when we want to drive. But we also have the option to walk and bus, and the proximity to everyday things like COSI and Downtown events that would only be special trips if we lived 30+ miles away.

We don’t really have much of a problem with the “…guys peeing on the dumpster or passed out on the stoop…” as mentioned in that original article either. I don’t think Columbus has quite the same sort of issues like that as a much bigger city like NYC or Chicago. Or maybe that’s just more of a problem around OSU. ;)

Schools are the biggest challenge for anyone, but options do exist if you spend enough time doing the research required to find the best solution.

Hope to continue to see more parents willing to go this route in the future as there’s a very positive and enriching environment to explore if you’re just able to take a little extra time to figure it all out.

GCrites80s
    Participant

NYC is kinda the king of public pissing. For one thing, it doesn’t have alleys. Also bathrooms cost money or are kept on lockdown.

Bear
    Participant

GCrites80s said:
    NYC is kinda the king of public pissing. For one thing, it doesn’t have alleys. Also bathrooms cost money or are kept on lockdown.

Manhattan can be utterly brutal on a hot summer day. I’ve never been anywhere else where I’ve wanted to get inside just to avoid the smell of urine.

geoyui
    Participant

GCrites80s said:

I’ve recently discovered SF Bart stations are a favorite restroom for the locals.

joev
    Participant

geoyui said:
    I’ve recently discovered SF Bart stations are a favorite restroom for the locals.

San Francisco is the foulest smelling city I’ve ever visited. And I’ve been to Akron.

Not to derail too far – Columbus smells rather nice; the river improvements will make it even better. I’m excited to be raising a kid here. Now about those schools…

GCrites80s
    Participant

I’m going to sound kinda crass here, but I think the personal networking you and your pupil engage in at the school are the most important thing about selecting a school. If your kid’s smart and motivated, they’ll be smart and motivated at any school. If they’re not, they won’t be. But a smart, capable kid can wind up being a rainbow in the dark if they go away to college or trade school and come home looking for a job and can’t find one because their personal network developed at home doesn’t consist of people capable of helping them get a job using their skills and education. This will be especially true if they attend a college in a town with no jobs of its own besides ones at the university.

AMEEKER
    Participant

Eh. It depends on the day, if you ask me. The day a hobo peed on our house and I had to quickly close the blinds so N didn’t see? I don’t love living in the city.

jchristy

I second a lot of the things that Walker mentioned. Contrary to NY, DC, or Chicago, our urban neighborhoods tend to have very family/kid friendly qualities.

Over the last several months I’ve had conversations with nearly every one of my friends in the Short North and Downtown area (we’re all about 30 and some are expecting) and we keep asking ourselves if we’re crazy for wanting to raise kids in an urban setting. We’ve heard some great success stories from local parents who fought the good fight twenty years ago, but the lot of us still cringe when we start talking about schooling options.

I get the feeling that this is the general consensus from young families in the neighborhood, and it’s something that should really be addressed before we all relegate ourselves to pasture in Gahanna. We’ve started a small, informal group called Short North Parents, http://www.shortnorthparents.com, to start gathering ideas and support for keeping more families in the area and improving schooling options. If anyone is interested it would be great if you could join our group and share any ideas that you have.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

jchristy said:
    I get the feeling that this is the general consensus from young families in the neighborhood, and it’s something that should really be addressed before we all relegate ourselves to pasture in Gahanna. We’ve started a small, informal group called Short North Parents, http://www.shortnorthparents.com, to start gathering ideas and support for keeping more families in the area and improving schooling options. If anyone is interested it would be great if you could join our group and share any ideas that you have.

I like the idea, but I don’t think the group should just be limited to the Short North. There’s a lot of people asking the same question who live in German Village, Olde Towne East, 5xNW, Old North, Clintonville, etc.

Our son is going to school in The Short North. ;) But we don’t live in the neighborhood.

dubdave00
    Participant

I’d be curious if any of you get grief from your own parents or older people you otherwise respect, for raising a kid in the city.

Just curious how you respond to it.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

dubdave00 said:
    I’d be curious if any of you get grief from your own parents or older people you otherwise respect, for raising a kid in the city.

I can’t think of a time anyone like that has said anything.

labi
    Participant

jchristy said:
    We’ve heard some great success stories from local parents who fought the good fight twenty years ago, but the lot of us still cringe when we start talking about schooling options.

We’ve started a small, informal group called Short North Parents, http://www.shortnorthparents.com, to start gathering ideas and support for keeping more families in the area and improving schooling options.

There has been discussion about this issue at the University Area Commission, and I believe there are already conversations going on between the UAC and Cols City Schools about it – you should get in touch with UAC president Doreen Uhas-Sauer. http://universityarea.org/about/contact-us/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 106 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO