Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Railway Tunnel from US to Russia Under Bering Strait

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Railway Tunnel from US to Russia Under Bering Strait

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Report: Tunnel linking US to Russia gains support

msnbc.com

updated 8/20/2011

LONDON — A train could someday make a journey from New York City to London if a plan to build a 65-mile tunnel between North America and Asia comes to pass.

The Times newspaper in the U.K. said that idea to construct a $60 billion tunnel under the Bering Strait was this week backed by some of President Dmitry Medvedev’s top officials.

The paper described the idea as “the greatest railway project of all time.”

READ MORE: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/44212283/ns/world_news-europe/#.TlCJUoJSWnE

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

This one’s totally gonna happen, calling it now

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

[i]”This summer, come visit the beautiful abandoned mining ghost towns of Seward Peninsula, by way of the frozen tundric hellscape of the Siberian wastes.”[/i]

Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I don’t believe it will be a passenger train… ;)

Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Though it would be great if they could work it out so that it goes in on the Russia side as sleek modern high-speed bullet train and comes out on the American side as a 16-lane SUV-clogged superhighway.

JonMyers
    Participant

+1 lol

JimL2 said:

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Considering how the permafrost is thawing, good luck.

And, given the Russians’ record of international trade deals, don’t be surprised if they shut things down at their end whenever they feel like it. Consider natural gas to Europe, for example.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

One last thing, AFAIK ground transportation northwest of [s]Juneau[/s] Anchorage is sketchy at best. So even if you could take a train into Nome, you’d still have to get on a plane or boat to make it any farther into the continent.

Pablo
    Participant

That would be an interesting, but really long trip. It’s about a 6.5 day train ride from Moscow to Vladivostok. Tack on several more days just to get to the Bering Strait. I thought this was interesting: http://eng.rzd.ru/isvp/public/rzdeng?STRUCTURE_ID=9

Also interesting: It’s a 7.5 day train ride from Moscow to Pyongyang, N. Korea (cost: about $821USD). Wonder what the passenger count is for that trip?
    http://eng.rzd.ru/isvp/public/rzdeng?STRUCTURE_ID=4189

Walker Evans
    Keymaster

JimL2 said:

Not until this happens first:

http://current.com/technology/89042567_plans-for-a-4-000mph-underwater-train-from-new-york-to-london.htm

Jason Powell
    Participant

Considering the abundance of natural gas and oil throughout the northern hemisphere, not to mention several other resources like fish, timber and precious metals, this is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to infrastructure projects by several top tier nations in the coming decades. I’m guessing there will likely be conflicts over those resources. Hell, the Russians have already planted their flag on the sea bed of the Arctic Ocean. The land grab begins. Whoever controls these resources has several future commodity prices by the balls.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

JimL2 said:
    One last thing, AFAIK ground transportation northwest of [s]Juneau[/s] Anchorage is sketchy at best. So even if you could take a train into Nome, you’d still have to get on a plane or boat to make it any farther into the continent.

not true. I myself have taken the train as far as Nenana (most of the way to Fairbanks). The youkon river is navigable from there to the far west coast. Running a rail line along the river to Nome would not be an impossible project.

http://alaskarailroad.com/Corporate/FreightServices/RoutesMap/tabid/392/Default.aspx

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

I’m not saying it would be impossible, just that they’re putting the cart before the horse. Digging a tunnel under the Bering without first shoring up the ground transportation infrastructure in northwestern Alaska and presumably northeastern Siberia (thereby raising the cost of the project significantly) would be like building a highway that drove straight into a cliff.

or something like that.

Caleb
    Participant

Walker said:
    I don’t believe it will be a passenger train… ;)

They are possibly going to build both.

Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Jim – If there were a project to build the Alaskan rail line all the way to the Bering Strait without the tunnel there, wouldn’t that *also* be putting the cart before the horse?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.