Race Around Ohio: Columbus Area's Own Amazing Race
- June 16, 2010 7:11 pm at 7:11 pm #82182
5th Annual Race Around Ohio
Modeled after CBS’s Amazing Race, this day-long event sends teams of 2 racing around Central Ohio, searching for clues to their next destination along the race route. Locations are strategically chosen with the intention of exposing unique and interesting spots nearby. Some are well-known, but many are unheard of or rarely visited. Typically, to earn clues teams must perform some type of a challenge, whether physical, mental or a combination of the two. Some examples of past challenges include:
- scaling a 30-foot cliff in Clifton Gorge (Yellow Springs)
- wolfing down a specialty pie from Just Pies (Worthington)
- scooping a bucket full of alpaca pooh @ Bluebird Hills Farm (Springfield)
- finding 1 of 5 fake roses hidden in the main section of the rose garden @ the Park of Roses (Clintonville)
- circling OSU stadium on a manual scooter wearing a shiny, pink cape (Campus)
- canoeing down the Little Darby Creek (Grove City)
- getting through an abandoned, pitch black farmhouse at Butternut Farm and Wildcat Sanctuary (Johnstown)
The race has two intentions: One is to really capitalize on the interesting parks, businesses, destinations and natural wonders in the Central Ohio area, especially those that are off the beaten path. Second is the race’s connection to a local charity.
The winners of each year’s race receive the opportunity to select the recipient of the following year’s fundraising. Over the life span of the race, participants have raised money for The Columbus Cancer Clinic, Make-A-Wish Foundation and The Trevor Ufferman Foundation @ OWU. This year’s charity is the Columbus chapter of The American Heart Association. To date, fundraising has been a small part of the race, but that’s changing. The planning team is looking to raise the bar by making the race better known in the community by way of partnerships, social and more traditional media.
Race Around Ohio takes place July 24th, 2010.
While registration for this year’s race has passed, the planning team is seeking the help of volunteers, local business owners and anyone with great ideas for how to raise money for The American Heart Association.June 17, 2010 7:37 pm at 7:37 pm #381214
I completely forgot to mention that we’re also looking for creative types to help photograph, videotape and maybe even ride along with teams or race staff.July 2, 2010 4:54 am at 4:54 am #381215
Sounds pretty cool. Be sure to upload videos of results!
The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.