Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

R.I.P. CU Forum?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 143 total)
  • Author

Mercurius
    Participant

At one point this used to be my most visited site. I used it for my local news source. There were always vibrant intelligent discussions. There was a great community. Now crickets. I even find myself occasionally reading the dispatch–which is terrible!

I’ve spoken with Walker and he says conversation has switched to other mediums than message boards (Facebook, etc) but I don’t really believe that. I still participate in other online forums that are vibrant and dislike Facebook.

1. What do you believe killed the CU forum?
    2. Can it ever get back to where it used to be?

If you answered yes to number two, what are your suggestions to dust off the cobwebs? Upvoting/Downvoting? More visibility or integration from the front page? Paying snarf and coremodels to post more? Banning idiots? You tell me.

Mike88
    Participant

I can’t speak for too long ago but in the year or so i’ve been lurking/more recently posting this is still an interesting place to come. The facebook comments are imbecilic and full of arguing. Here most people discuss fairly respectfully.

That said I would love to be able to “Rep” quality posts similar to how you can on bigsoccer.com. It’s basically just a “like” system that gave you a point on your profile and allows you to show the whole +1 thing without clogging up the forum. And while you no longer can, back in the day over there when you repped you could include a short comment as well, which was fun.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

1. What do you believe killed the CU forum?

It hasn’t been killed.

At one point this used to be my most visited site. I used it for my local news source.

CU is producing more news now than it ever has before, and traffic to the site is at an all time high.

Yes, online conversation places have grown exponentially (CU launched prior to Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc) and we’ve grown our presence in all of those platforms (we have a larger following than most other local media outlets). Conversations have become more fractured due to that, and we’re fine with that. It’s the nature of the tech.

Our business model is not centered around being a conversation platform for all people. There’s too much national/global competition from other corporations who will always be able to do a much better job than us in that regard.

Changes/updates to our forum software are always a work in progress. We’re open to all kinds of ideas and feedback on that. Leading that conversation with “R.I.P. CU Forum?” makes it sounds hard to believe this thread will be taken seriously by anyone though.

bayrea
    Participant

Agree with Walker, that title is a bit harsh. As “patient zero” (I think) of CU I have been around since the beginning and enjoyed the evolution. Granted other platforms have popped up and CU integrates fairly well into all of them. I just pick and chose where I want to fight my battles. If it is civil I keep it here. The only frustration I have had over the years is the separation of the News stories and the forum posts. Sometimes they feel like 2 separate conversations going on at the same time and you have to jump back and forth. Other than that…KUDOS.

bayrea
    Participant

Mercurius can always start a Myspace page about if he is bitter.

bayrea
    Participant

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

“(I’ve) enjoyed the evolution.” – Bayrea

Same here, everything changes.

Mercurius
    Participant

Sure to all that, and I don’t mean to be insulting or crass, but it’s lost it’s uniqueness. I can go to Gongwer for better political news, Columbus Business First for development/business news, Crave for food, Eleven Warriors for sports. CU’s uniqueness, for me, came from it’s expediency, community, and in-depth discussion of the news.

I think your business model for the front page is fine in terms of page views and original content. I’m just talking about the forum or more properly, the community. And sorry but the community aspect of CU is on it’s last breath. Facebook, Twitter and Instagram aren’t communities. Yelp and Reddit pale in comparison to what CU used to be.

bayrea
    Participant

Yeah, but you can come here for all of that. One stop shopping for CBUS. I don’t want to browse 6 different sites for Cbus info. The Columbus Reddit groups are a joke. I browse them for a belly laugh.

Bear
    Participant

Funny, Mercurius’ point resonates with me. I don’t doubt that CU gets a lot of page views, but after the forum got moved off of the front page I found that I tended to check it a lot less frequently. In my case, I think the format change sent a signal that the news part of the site had become the primary focus. It’s not that I don’t follow local news, but I already get it from a fair number of sources. What I didn’t get anywhere else was thoughtful commentary from a variety of very diverse perspectives, along with rumor, innuendo, drama, and a lot of humor. I realize that the forum remained in place, but I guess I unconsciously anticipated that the volume of discussion would taper off, so I found myself coming less and less often. Not really a conscious decision — just sort of drifted away.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Columbus Reddit is a thing? I’m totally joining. Up votes, whatt!

Mercurius
    Participant

I completely agree on Reddit. I think there is a void and would love for CU to fill that void.

bayrea
    Participant

Columbus Reddit is a thing? I’m totally joining. Up votes, whatt!

It’s good stuff. The butt hate on the Short North by suburbanites is amazing.

Bear
    Participant

Also, I should add that Walker is an exceptionally good and conscientious moderator. Lots of conversations that could have veered off the rails didn’t due to his role as benevolent forum dictator, and before long the norm was for conversations to be polite and constructive. That’s a major accomplishment.

And yes, Columbus Reddit blows.

CMH2579
    Participant

I still check the forum on a regular basis, but honestly, I probably come to the site half as much after the redesign. I liked being able to see the most recent forum activity from the homepage, now that it is not there, I don’t have a reason to check it as much.

I still check the site daily for news, but I don’t have the temptation of checking in more often to see if there is any interesting conversation going on in the message board.

I know it is only an extra click to get to the forum, but the new site has changed my behavior.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 143 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.