Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Mary Kathryn Paul Sentenced in Hit-and-Run Death of Bob Lennon

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Mary Kathryn Paul Sentenced in Hit-and-Run Death of Bob Lennon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 166 through 179 (of 179 total)
  • Author
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

bmoore said:
    murder charges.

This would have either been involuntary manslaughter (as it is) or vehicular homicide (if she’d stayed at scene and been under the influence).

If you look at normal sentencing, 4 1/2 years is actually a fairly stiff sentence and closer to what one would usually get for the more serious charge.

Now, you can argue that the sentence should be more severe, but I’d disagree. As it stands, she was convicted of a traffic accident that proved fatal.

bmoore
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    This would have either been involuntary manslaughter (as it is) or vehicular homicide (if she’d stayed at scene and been under the influence).

If you look at normal sentencing, 4 1/2 years is actually a fairly stiff sentence and closer to what one would usually get for the more serious charge.

Now, you can argue that the sentence should be more severe, but I’d disagree. As it stands, she was convicted of a traffic accident that proved fatal.

Semantic/legal difference. She killed someone and showed absolute abject indifference. If she had stopped, it would pass as an accident (even though she hit ANOTHER biker and sent him to the hospital just a little bit ago). But she didn’t stop. She and her father tried to cover it up and it wasn’t until the police started to close in that they fessed up.

Big difference between an “accident” and trying to cover up slaying someone and leaving them in a soybean field for deal.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Yes, it is the legal difference. She was sentenced fairly for the crime she was convicted of, but again, if she’d been convicted of vehicular homicide she’d probably only have gotten another year or two.

I realize there’s a lot of people passionate about biking, but there isn’t a special crime or sentence for a traffic death involving a cyclist (nor should there be).

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

Her sentence is less than five years. She’s eligible for judicial release in 6 months. A five year sentence would have guaranteed a 4.5 year incarceration period. IDK seems pretty shitty, I don’t know all the details either.

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

It’s been awhile since I’ve brushed up on my sentencing guideline laws but Ohio changed the sentencing guidelines in March or April of 2000. Crimes committed after that date and received a sentence of 5 years or more required the defendant to do 4 out of the 5 before they are eligible for judicial release. Less than 5 years they can be released in 6 months. My bet is she will serve a year.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Yep she’ll serve a year and kill again.

bmoore
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    Yes, it is the legal difference. She was sentenced fairly for the crime she was convicted of, but again, if she’d been convicted of vehicular homicide she’d probably only have gotten another year or two.

I realize there’s a lot of people passionate about biking, but there isn’t a special crime or sentence for a traffic death involving a cyclist (nor should there be).

I’m not saying there should be.

However, there are special /specific crimes for failure to report an accident, failure to report killing someone, willfully destroying evidence in an accident, etc.

She (nor her father) have taken the blame/punishment for any of that.

An accident and wanton indifference are two separate things.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

I’m not disagreeing, there is probably more charges that could/should have been filed…but if the Trayvon Martin case taught us anything, its that overreaching in charges and walking away without a conviction doesn’t offer much justice.

I’m still trying to figure out how they got to six years, as an F3 should max out at 36 months and leaving the scene is an M1 (6 months jail max).

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Snarf said:
    Yep she’ll serve a year and kill again.

Her license was also taken away for life. She won’t be legally driving ever again.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Coremodels said:

I don’t think that’s what anyone is arguing for. Any request for a stiffer sentence should be due to the fact that she fled the scene and lied about hitting a deer and tried to get away with vehicular manslaughter.

M.O.
    Participant

Just for emphasis, the crash car windshield was near-as-surgically-cut as possible under the circumstances. I don’t recall hearing whether Mr. Paul produced the discarded evidence, or whether it was merely lost for the ages to the Whoops … My Bad, File:

misskitty
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    I’m not disagreeing, there is probably more charges that could/should have been filed…but if the Trayvon Martin case taught us anything, its that overreaching in charges and walking away without a conviction doesn’t offer much justice.

I’m still trying to figure out how they got to six years, as an F3 should max out at 36 months and leaving the scene is an M1 (6 months jail max).

Actually, they seem to have cleaned up and refined the sentencing chart for Felonies. Now the felonies have two levels under their number in addition to F1,F2, Etc. They are listing the A,B,C parts.
    Under the felony 3 it says
    “ B. Higher F-3s—The longer sentence range applies to agg vehicular homicides & assaults, sexual battery, GSI, sex with minor, & robbery or burglary with 2 or more separate agg or non-agg robberies or burglaries (see §2929.14(A)(3)(a)) which carries a scale of time as 12, 18, 24, 30, 36, 42, 48, 54, or 60 monthsb ”

So maybe that is why the time is higher.?

Chart

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Nah, I double checked, basically the failure to stop becomes an F3 in a fatality. She was hit with 2 F3’s @ 36 months each maximum.

misskitty
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    Nah, I double checked, basically the failure to stop becomes an F3 in a fatality. She was hit with 2 F3’s @ 36 months each maximum.

Thanks’ for clearing that up.

Viewing 14 posts - 166 through 179 (of 179 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: