Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Mary Kathryn Paul Sentenced in Hit-and-Run Death of Bob Lennon

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Mary Kathryn Paul Sentenced in Hit-and-Run Death of Bob Lennon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 179 total)
  • Author

M.O.
    Participant

I know Ben Marrison is aware that his newspaper has an online comment section. But is he aware that his newspaper has an online comment section?

Mr. Marrison continues to insist the Dispatch won’t name the party suspected of hitting, killing, and leaving for dead Bob Lennon on Miller-Paul Road in Delaware County in September simply because that person’s name is not yet a matter of public record. This is a refinement on his comment section editor’s attempt to spin this corporate oversight (“… but … but … see … um … no charges have been filed … so … um …”). Except the suspected subject driver’s name is a matter of public record, and it has been a matter of public record for months. And for now the name and address of the hit-and-run driver is mentioned right under Marrison’s Sunday morning load of hogwash.

Ben: You roll with guys who buy ink by the barrel. Why continue to undermine all that is holy in a one-newspaper town by allowing common web wankers to show the world how runny ink is nowadays?

bob.os
    Participant

I too am getting sick of Marrison’s predictable response that the Internet is wrong, or his customers/readers are wrong.

It is good to see that the commenters immediately called out his bullshit. Now I’m wondering if they will delete the comments contradicting him before the spam comment…

JeepGirl
    Participant

The Dispatch is simply an embarrassment to Central Ohio.

Pro Se
    Participant

So the driver is Mary Paul, daughter of township trustee Jerry Paul? Is this Jerry Paul that important as a township trustee to warrant special protection from the Dispatch? I’m not being rhetorical here, just interested in the dynamics of this thing. I like a cover up as much as anybody else but I need to know the significance of the person they are trying to protect first to believe it. Maybe this guy is that important. After all, he lines on a road that is half named for him. Maybe a big deal or maybe a meaningless distinction in a rural area where roads are typically named for the large tracts they serve.

Twixlen
    Participant

He’s loaded. He’s connected. He’s white and so is the daughter. That’s all that’s necessary, especially in small-town USA.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

timely and interesting nytimes piece ” Is it OK to kill cyclists”

“We do not know of a single case of a cyclist fatality in which the driver was prosecuted, except for D.U.I. or hit-and-run,” Leah Shahum, the executive director of the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition, told me.

DBC

Pro Se said:
    So the driver is Mary Paul, daughter of township trustee Jerry Paul? Is this Jerry Paul that important as a township trustee to warrant special protection from the Dispatch? I’m not being rhetorical here, just interested in the dynamics of this thing. I like a cover up as much as anybody else but I need to know the significance of the person they are trying to protect first to believe it. Maybe this guy is that important. After all, he lines on a road that is half named for him. Maybe a big deal or maybe a meaningless distinction in a rural area where roads are typically named for the large tracts they serve.

I thought the same. I looked him up, and was like really? This is a super powerful man? I guess Boss Hog was powerful in his little town as well so anything is possible. Just hard to believe he is that important to warrant a cover-up.

M.O.
    Participant

Pro Se said:

We could speculate for several pages and still be way off the mark. Favor to a guy with some sway on land development up that way … or maybe John Wolfe gets his jet skis at-cost from the guy[/url].

This would be a diluted topic in a hurry.

I will give Marrison & Co. a pass if the person charged is not the person named as the driver in the OSHP report. The story reported so far is all attributed to the father of the alleged driver (Do you think my daughter hit a deer? I don’t know what compelled me to throw-out half the windshield out before you folks arrived) has all the hallmarks of a story that could get screwier.

Failing that, I think the Dispatch has boxed itself into a pretty sad corner with clear-cut contradictions on its own pages.

derm
    derm
    Participant

Keep this in mind folks. Mary Paul has an absolute army of very high priced lawyers. They are throwing up roadblocks to slow and obfuscate this as to try to get it plead down, or off on a technicality, or get her evaluated for substance abuse or any one of the myriad ways that you can get around a conviction, especially if you have money. I don’t know the exact path the lawyers are taking, but their client is up against a Homicide charge. Absolutely no stone, codicil, or legal minutiae is being ignored. As they are paid a ton of money to do exactly this.

The Prosecutor, probably a very nice person, highly intelligent, way less paid is up against this. They want a conviction badly as that is their job. They will not bring up charges or bring this case forward until they have every little T and I crossed and dotted. They know that the tiniest misstep will knock this down a peg in the charges. This may include prejudice in jury selection from a sensational media case and in fact it may be them that is asking the Dispatch to tone it down a bit. I don’t know.

I am front row in a local felony case and can see what very high priced lawyers can to what other folks would look at and see a completely open and shut case and let me tell you that it aint as simple as you think almost every time, especially if the defense has the cash. Don’t worry about what the paper says, watch what the legal system does once the show really starts.

A word to the wise, do not do a crime if you don’t got the money to hire great counsel.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

derm said:
    Keep this in mind folks. Mary Paul has an absolute army of very high priced lawyers. They are throwing up roadblocks to slow and obfuscate this as to try to get it plead down, or off on a technicality, or get her evaluated for substance abuse or any one of the myriad ways that you can get around a conviction, especially if you have money. I don’t know the exact path the lawyers are taking, but their client is up against a Homicide charge. Absolutely no stone, codicil, or legal minutiae is being ignored. As they are paid a ton of money to do exactly this.

The Prosecutor, probably a very nice person, highly intelligent, way less paid is up against this. They want a conviction badly as that is their job. They will not bring up charges or bring this case forward until they have every little T and I crossed and dotted. They know that the tiniest misstep will knock this down a peg in the charges. This may include prejudice in jury selection from a sensational media case and in fact it may be them that is asking the Dispatch to tone it down a bit. I don’t know.

that seems more likely than some kind of conspiracy.

Pro Se
    Participant

Derm, if your front row is the jury box, you shouldn’t be posting about it here. I do criminal defense work and my sense is that while you make several good points, you overestimate the effect of expensive counsel. To be sure, you obviously were’nt fooled by them. My take is that prosecutors see cases as pure and simple and defendants, and their counsel, see them are more complicated. It doesn’t take a high prices lawyer to muddy those waters. It’s just the nature of our adversarial system of justice.

derm
    derm
    Participant

Pro Se said:
    Derm, if your front row is the jury box, you shouldn’t be posting about it here. I do criminal defense work and my sense is that while you make several good points, you overestimate the effect of expensive counsel. To be sure, you obviously were’nt fooled by them. My take is that prosecutors see cases as pure and simple and defendants, and their counsel, see them are more complicated. It doesn’t take a high prices lawyer to muddy those waters. It’s just the nature of our adversarial system of justice.

I am not reporting from a jury box I assure you. I do agree that any defense lawyer can toss up roadblocks and use the system as best suits their client. I do know however that more cash can get you more lawyers and that sometimes the very politically connected lawyers can be hired to influence, however subtle that may be to get the outcome for their client. You don’t have to take some charges down very far and yet still get a conviction, but escape jail time for treatment or a large fine. A huge difference for a defendant. That is where the extra money goes sometimes. A tiny shift in charges can make a big difference.

Anidem
    Participant

Pro Se said:

Apparently she has a previous record of hitting a bicyclist.
    http://www.myfox28columbus.com/shared/news/features/top-stories/stories/wsyx_suspect-fatal-hitandrun-has-record-hitting-cyclists-27345.shtml

Word had been getting around Sunbury who did it and I was told it’s being hushed up as much as possible. It’s hard for me to believe Jerry Paul is that influential compared to Columbus, but they are one of the prominent families of the township being long time farmers, owners of Paul’s Marine, and yes, half the road is named after their family. I grew up in this township and although Paul might have some in his corner due to his history in the township, I think most people are aghast at this and the attempted cover-up and attribute this to his money.

So the Dispatch says they can’t publish the name because she hadn’t been charged but they’re even deleting comments naming Mary Paul.

I hope it’s true that the prosecutor is taking so long because he wants to get it right and that justice is served for Mr. Lennon’s family.

Bear
    Participant

derm said:

The Prosecutor, probably a very nice person, highly intelligent, way less paid is up against this. They want a conviction badly as that is their job. They will not bring up charges or bring this case forward until they have every little T and I crossed and dotted. They know that the tiniest misstep will knock this down a peg in the charges. This may include prejudice in jury selection from a sensational media case.

+1

It’s not just Dispatch policy. Print media have traditionally refrained from publishing the names of people who have yet to be charged for a crime. It’s a matter of weighing the public’s right to know against the individual’s right to privacy. If the media jump all over a potential suspect before the authorities decide they’ve got probable cause, they run an unacceptably high risk of ruining an innocent person’s life. (Remember Richard Jewell?)

The more interesting question, to my mind, is, should Columbus Underground hold itself to the same standard? If not, why not?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Bear said:
    The more interesting question, to my mind, is, should Columbus Underground hold itself to the same standard? If not, why not?

We haven’t published anything on this story.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 179 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: