Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Question for the foodies

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Question for the foodies

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Doing dinner for the girl this weekend, found a pretty simple recipe of prosciutto wrapped grilled shrimp and a salad. She has a thing about salt so I am wondering if there is a good substitute for the prosciutto that wouldn’t be as salty…or maybe a good source of the stuff local that would be good to use.

roy
    Participant

Skip the part about wrapping the shrimp, it’ll be fine, grills up beautifully. DO NOT OVERCOOK the shrimp! Just takes a minute. If you have charcoal left, grill a couple peach halves to serve with Jeni’s vanilla.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

roy wrote >>
    Skip the part about wrapping the shrimp, it’ll be fine, grills up beautifully. DO NOT OVERCOOK the shrimp! Just takes a minute. If you have charcoal left, grill a couple peach halves to serve with Jeni’s vanilla.

Sweet, thanks. I was thinking of doing that.

Second question… marinade calls for dry white wine. Anyone got a good suggestion?

CheeseFoodie
    Participant

Hey LOTW! I hope this goes well. I’d probably see if I could get some serrano ham, it’s not smoked so the salt doesn’t come through as much. That said, if she REALLY has issues with salt, I’d second Roy’s idea and just skip the wrapping altogether. If you want to try Serrano, most likely available at N Mkt Curds and Whey, Whole Foods, and I’m pretty sure I’ve even seen serrano in the “specialty” case at Giant Eagle.

JonMyers
    Participant

What about local bison bacon from the NM wrapped around the shrimp?

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>
    What about local bison bacon from the NM wrapped around the shrimp?

Might just that, as I planned on heading to the NM this week.

columbusfoodie
    Participant

Useful hint I learned from Chef Kent Peters when he did his cooking class at the Hills Market last year – shrimp is so low in natural fat that it has a tendency to dry out on the grill. He showed us this really easy recipe for grilled shrimp that uses butter, lemon juice and zest, and basil. Enough of the butter stuck to the bowl that you could probably get away with using much less:

Lemon Basil Shrimp

Toss 2 lbs. of raw shelled & deveined 16-20 sized shrimp with a stick of melted butter, juice and zest of 1/2 lemon, and a dozen or so basil leaves cut into a chiffonade. Grill until done (it will turn pink), and then serve with your favorite cocktail sauce.

patient_zero
    Participant

A couple thoughts, Andrew. You could prepare 1/2 grilled, the other 1/2 prosciutto wrapped and give her the option to try some. It does have salt from the curing process, but it’s so darn thin, that she may like it. You could place a to go order for the prosciutto at Mouton if you are in the area.

As for a wine for your marinade, I like the grassy notes of Sauvignon Blanc combined with the acidic punch. Chilean SB’s are good and are value priced, like Concho Y Toro. If you are looking for a sweeter base, consider Gewurztraminer. A bottle of Fetzer is like $9 and can be found on most wine shelves. I particularly like drinking this with grilled seafood, as the residual sugars compliment the smokey flavor (in the prosciutto and in grilled shrimp) really well. So both will serve as marinades as well as good table wines for dinner.

Roy’s idea of stone fruit on the grill is seasonally delicious. Caramelized sugars and Jeni’s is a great combination. This would compliment the Fetzer as well.

Bear
    Participant

“Don’t overcook the shrimp” is the best advice ever. And CF is right, it’s hell to get it right on the grill. Best shrimp recipe I’ve seen/made involves shelled shrimp in garlic and olive oil over low enough heat that the oil barely shimmers… the shrimp don’t sizzle, and when they’re just pink to the point of looking done you turn them, then wait until they’re pink on the other side too. First time I did it, I thought, “These can’t be done”—and I realized that every shrimp I’d ever eaten was overcooked.

As to the salt… taste thing? Health thing? ??? Answer will determine how to season shrimp. Hard to find a good taste substitute for salt, really.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE