Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Question for retail & restaurant workers...

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Question for retail & restaurant workers…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

Is there a point of sale system you really enjoy working with or recommend?

patient_zero
    Participant

Boulevard Grille in Dublin had the best POS I’ve ever used, and I’ll have to get back with you on the manufacturer. It was color coded on the screen for main categories (salads, beverages, apps, etc), and the subscreens were color coded as well. Modifiers were very easy to use. Other features were easy to use as well, like transfer check, separate bill, multiple diners, etc. It was touch screen controlled, and had a credit card reader off to the side. Printer utilized double paper receipts.

The system was very easy to use and train other people to use. I only ever remember it crashing once, and we were ready with “crash kits” when it happened. I don’t know how the system fared for the managers and number crunchers, or even if it could be tied into corporate distribution, but I’ll ask Bill Michelidis about that as well.

I’ve never been happy with the industry standard – Micros. Despite years of updates, it’s still not as user friendly as it could be. And depending how it’s programmed, it can be very difficult to modify transactions, updates, and billing. It does all the corporate departmental routing and is backed up with major accounting software, but I believe there are better systems out there for the money.

crsimp01
    crsimp01
    Participant

Sorry Liz..though I see the benefits of most Micros systems (which is the one I’ve worked with for the most part)it has so many kinks, unnecessary steps and backasswards processes that it is a headache when you are in a hurry..unfortunately…you ARE in a hurry most of the time when in the restaurant industry as you well know. Well..that is..if you have a decent restaurant that people actually come to…LOL. Sorry…speaking from experience ;)

Brant
    Participant

My experience is limited to POSitouch[/url], but I’ve never had any problems navigating through it.

somertimeoh
    Participant

Micros, ha! Hadn’t thought about that in years. I used to die inside anytime someone started substituting because I knew what a PITA that was gonna be to enter :) I had hoped technology advances in the last 10 years trickled down to POS systems. Guess not!

Twixlen
    Participant

Wow. I’m showing my age. Or the small-scale nature of the business where I worked back in the day…. pad of paper and calculator for POS. At the end of the night, it all got rung into the old school register under two possible codes – food and not food – as we stabbed all our receipts onto one of those stabby sticks.

You can’t discount the value of a calculator that can take a good dousing in beer.

patient_zero
    Participant

patient_zero wrote >>
    Boulevard Grille in Dublin had the best POS I’ve ever used, and I’ll have to get back with you on the manufacturer.

Liz, it was RMS Touch out of New Jersey.

http://www.andyspos.com/restaurantpos.html

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Twixlen wrote >>
    Wow. I’m showing my age. Or the small-scale nature of the business where I worked back in the day…. pad of paper and calculator for POS. At the end of the night, it all got rung into the old school register under two possible codes – food and not food – as we stabbed all our receipts onto one of those stabby sticks.
    You can’t discount the value of a calculator that can take a good dousing in beer.

The start up pizza place I worked at for a summer did just this. Order pad from Staples and one of those electric cash registers in the same aisle.

First restaurant job was MICROS and I do remember it being PITA

lifeliberty
    Participant

I was always fine with micros. I thought it was pretty fast. of course I had all the screens basically memorized so that takes the guesswork out of where to find stuff.
    Gordon Ramsey just bought a restaurant a new kind, supposedly the best on the market during one of his Kitchen Nightmare shows, but i don’t remember the name of the company.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

I’m hearing lots of complaints related to Micros. We have had 2Touch for many years and loved them when they were run by a small independent company out of Mansfield, Ohio but the company was sold to a large NY company and the customer service has gone to hell. It would be amazing if we had a local company in Columbus with local service reps.

DonnaTate

I’ve worked for several restaurants in the past who have used IBM’s POS systems. I never recall having any problems with them.

http://www-03.ibm.com/products/retail/segments/foodservice/fs2.html

lifeliberty
    Participant

‘SurePOS’, LOL, I can’t think of a worse name for equipment to sell!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: