Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Question about Weinland Park/University District...

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Question about Weinland Park/University District…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • Author

mrpoppinzs

dirtgirl said:

You know another thing that could curb the house packing problem in WP? The UAC. They have no power to affect Gee’s sophomore plan, but they could reject variances that lead to house packing.

Columbus allows for boarding houses but charges something like a $175 a year permit fee. Nobody pays that since most college students are signing a single lease – no variance, no ‘boarding house’ permit, because it is almost impossible to ascertain who in fact is living there.

I also believe that there are only about 3 code enforcement officers for the University District at present (who have a tremendous backlog).

Of course there is also the general feeling that the UAC is the lapdog of campus landlords…

dirtgirl
    Participant

mrpoppinzs said:
    Columbus allows for boarding houses but charges something like a $175 a year fee. Nobody pays that since most college students are signing a single lease – no variance, no ‘boarding house’ permit, because it is almost impossible to ascertain who in fact is living there.

An illegal boarding house was brought to the attention of the UAC at their last meeting by a vigilant neighbor. Its rental listing advertises its 8 bedrooms (it used to be 3): http://www.peakpropertygroup.com/114-E-Patterson-a240761.html But you’re probably right that in most cases the neighbors don’t know or care to report a violation and the city never gets around to inspect/enforce. I know if this monstrosity popped up next to me, I’d be working the phones all day.

rory
    Participant

dirtgirl said:
    An illegal boarding house was brought to the attention of the UAC at their last meeting by a vigilant neighbor. Its rental listing advertises its 8 bedrooms (it used to be 3): http://www.peakpropertygroup.com/114-E-Patterson-a240761.html But you’re probably right that in most cases the neighbors don’t know or care to report a violation and the city never gets around to inspect/enforce. I know if this monstrosity popped up next to me, I’d be working the phones all day.

There’s not much you can do after the fact. Code enforcement is overwhelmed. You can do it without variances and much of the University Area is actually outside the purview of the University Area Review Board. And the UAC seems either powerless or noncommittal at best.

My contention is that it’s going to be easier for the campus landlords to improve their properties and make their product more attractive to wider demographic than try to make it being ultra slumlords next to a major university.

cheap

rory said:

My contention is that it’s going to be easier for the campus landlords to improve their properties and make their product more attractive to wider demographic than try to make it being ultra slumlords next to a major university.

campus landlords will always be ultra slumlords

labi
    Participant

dirtgirl said:
    Your view assumes the landlords will make investments to attract tenants, Golding’s assumes they will let their units fall into disrepeair or rent to undesirables. Two very different views; interestingly his is apparently aligned with the landlords themselves.

Hmm, which position would the good capitalist take: the one that would require him to spend some of his profit improving his property just in order to maintain a lower rent than he had previously charged, or the one where nothing changes and he goes right on as before? It’s true that the landlords probably do understand more about the rental market than anyone else does, but just because they do doesn’t mean their public statements are going to be balanced/unbiased.

I don’t know enough about Golding to guess why he’s aligned with the landlords in this case.

labi
    Participant

cheap said:
    campus landlords will always be ultra slumlords

But Mr. Gee does not apparently embrace that reality.

leftovers

Even in the more gentrified western area over by Neil Ave, dense student housing seems to start about a block south of King Ave. If you carry that east of High St that would be a large chunk of WP.

I wonder if there will be some reshuffling as there are some nice brick victorian homes that have fallen into the hands of landlords in the ‘Peach District’. I think that area may be the first to see some high quality rehabs being done and maybe a switch to owner occupied condos as are found in IV and VV.

SusanB
    Participant

The problem with the shift of students out of WP and on to the OSU campus is what will the slumlords landlords do with the already too many bedroom houses that they have? One real danger (IMHO) is the conversion to Section 8 voucher housing. While the standards for such housing is high (good thing) the adding of more poor people to an area already densely populated with low income housing may not be a good thing. The northern part of the area will be especially susceptible to this problem. A five bedroom house voucher currently pays $1522 a month.

rory
    Participant

leftovers said:
    Even in the more gentrified western area over by Neil Ave, dense student housing seems to start about a block south of King Ave. If you carry that east of High St that would be a large chunk of WP.

I wonder if there will be some reshuffling as there are some nice brick victorian homes that have fallen into the hands of landlords in the ‘Peach District’. I think that area may be the first to see some high quality rehabs being done and maybe a switch to owner occupied condos as are found in IV and VV.

Weinland Park has one wild card that the other side of High Street doesn’t and that’s the fact that a couple hundred new market rate houses can go up at the Columbus Coated Fabrics site. That and the 30 or so houses coming up to be rehabbed in the rest of the WP and the restoration of the historic district on 11th Ave. It’s going to be a lot of change.

leftovers

SusanB said:
    The northern part of the area will be especially susceptible to this problem. A five bedroom house voucher currently pays $1522 a month.

Agreed, I think the area most people are seeing as in danger is the northern (especially northwestern) section of WP. It is the area closest to campus, home of the South Campus Gateway (which will be expanding) and were there are a lot of houses being converted for house packing. Driving around there you will see the boards coming off the vacant houses and Hometeam Properties signs going up.

The Columbus Coated site with the new builds is on the extreme eastern side of WP and for the most part out of reach of the campus rental area. That will definitely be a nice enclave. Grant St looks great. I think it will be a mini Harrsion West. The historic section on 11th is also fairly east, but that will also probably be rentals as it is apartment blocks. The south western section has ties to IV and the Short North and will probably be more aligned with that as IV creeps northward.

This might also bring more owner occupants to areas further from campus with those renters moving closer. It may end up helping places that are a little off the radar further away from campus such as SOHUD which has a lot of rentals but fewer house packing conversions.

Of course this is just my opinion and the Fat Lady has yet to sing.

The area in the eyes of a campus slumlord:

AMEEKER
    Participant

We just moved into one of the new houses on Grant, immediately facing the Columbus Coated Fabrics property.

leftovers

AMEEKER said:
    We just moved into one of the new houses on Grant, immediately facing the Columbus Coated Fabrics property.

Congratulations! Those are very nice.

5xNW’s loss is Weinland Park’s gain…

rory
    Participant

AMEEKER said:

Hey, welcome to the neighborhood!

rory
    Participant

And again!

mrpoppinzs

AMEEKER said:

It is great to see the first wave a fresh new home owners hitting the ground. I remember seeing your posts on 5xNW. Weinland Park could use a cool website and a food crawl. It is always good to have new faces and new ideas.

That Grant St area is going to be a really nice section of owner occupants in the neighborhood.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: