Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

q: History of Madison's Department Store?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A q: History of Madison’s Department Store?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Jared
    Jared
    Participant

What is the history of Madison’s Department Store at Gay & High? Google didn’t help.

patient_zero
    Participant

Madison’s history was listed here on a thread that referred to some High Street development, darned if I could find it. I believe pez was a contributor.

From what I remember, Madison’s was an upscale woman’s clothing store chain that eventually went belly up. Where pez found the information is beyond me, because I was drawing a blank as well.

It was started by Louis Madison, a Russian Jewish immigrant. His son, David, was the mayor of Bexley for 32 years ending sometime recently.

jenlauren

They also had locations at Kingsdale and Northland Mall (I think).

i actually have a mannequin from the old madisons store downtown.

greenhouse1014
    Participant

It was a very short lived crappy club for a while.

Pablo
    Participant

According to the library, the Browning Shoe Company opened at 80 N. High St on 4/12/1904. Madison’s opened at this location 11/5/1927.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

greenhouse1014 wrote >>
    It was a very short lived crappy club for a while.

Hypnotic? (Or some other spelling) I remember the sign, but never went inside.

greenhouse1014
    Participant

Yeah, that was it. I avoided it at all costs as it was very young and thuggy. A friend of mine told me a story of being out fron, handing ot promo cards, when a group of guys came outside and one guy cracked another in the head so hard that he fell directly to the ground dying. Instead of calling the police, his friends grabbed him up and took him to the hospital. Not my kind of vibe. Plus, the owner was an ass. He wanted to turn one of the top floors into, basically, a brothel, with dancing girls and privacy rooms. Turns out he was living in the place and was eventually put out.

Madisons was mostly a womens store, they did have several suburban mall stores in Columbus, Dayton and Cincy. They Downtown store closed around 1990 and has basically sat empty for the last 2 decades. A nightclub operated in the High Street location briefly during the 90s. The good news is, a friend of mine is in the process of purchasing one of the buildings north of Madisons, and will relocate his software company from Polaris to DT. It will be in the old Columbs Chamber office.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

RoundTowner wrote >>
    A friend of mine is in the process of purchasing one of the buildings north of Madisons, and will relocate his software company from Polaris to DT. It will be in the old Columbs Chamber office.

Very cool news! Have your friend email me some details ([email protected]) as this progresses. Would love to do a feature this type of development.

One thing though… the old Chamber offices were actually south of Madison’s and on the other side of High Street (37 N. High). Are you actually referring to the old Experience Columbus offices (90 N. High) that are just north of the Madison’s building?

Just curious because earlier this year we heard that The Wine Guy was going to be opening a retail location in the old Experience Columbus space. Last I spoke with the owner of that business (August) he said that plans were pushed back to 1st Quarter 2010. Currently, Megan Burkholder is doing live art in that space, which is a really cool temporary use of the spot. ;)

Jared
    Jared
    Participant

A week ago Thursday, I was running on High past the old Experience Columbus storefront and was perplexed to see a young woman inside painting. It was cold and rainy and I didn’t slow down to investigate :(

The Madison’s storefront evokes nostalgia to me, even though I didn’t know anything about the place until this thread. It reminds me of my hometown of Mansfield, and several other downtown areas that I have visited on business, like Newark, Coshocton and Zanesville. Maybe the new owner/tenant can blend the building’s old charm into its new purpose.

pez
    Participant

patient_zero wrote >>
    Madison’s history was listed here on a thread that referred to some High Street development, darned if I could find it. I believe pez was a contributor.
    From what I remember, Madison’s was an upscale woman’s clothing store chain that eventually went belly up. Where pez found the information is beyond me, because I was drawing a blank as well.

For that thread, most of the information came from the Columbus Dispatch archives available at columbuslibrary.org. Click the underlined ‘premium resources’ on the left and sign in with your library card to view. There’s all kinds of cool online services here that you may need to pay for elsewhere.

The Dispatch history only goes back to 1985, but I had another site to get more, I’ll have to dig that up. Probably the best other resource I use is books.google.com, it’s a great resource for Columbus history and you can sometimes find neat old pictures.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

urbanrunner wrote >>
    A week ago Thursday, I was running on High past the old Experience Columbus storefront and was perplexed to see a young woman inside painting. It was cold and rainy and I didn’t slow down to investigate :(

I’m actually heading over there to talk to her this morning and will have a feature up on CU tomorrow morning. ;) Watch for it.

JedThorp

CDS sherman wrote >>
    i actually have a mannequin from the old madisons store downtown.

Old mannequins freak me out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: