Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Q: Does anyone have any good bike shop recommendations?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Q: Does anyone have any good bike shop recommendations?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

cbuster

Yeah, I could use a tuneup on mine as well. If B1 does that sort of thing I’d gladly take it to them.

I took my bike in to B1 for a tune-up and was very happy with the experience – 40 bucks.

pez
    Participant

Forgive my lack of ‘bike-speak’ if I’m using the wrong terms here, but I need to find chain rings for the Shimano 4-taper bottom bracket. Currently it has a “TruVatiV Isoflow, 28/38/48”. The outer and middle ring bent out when the chain dropped between them on a hill climb. Think of the curve of a Pringle, only not as pronounced.
    Regardless, I’ve tried to bend them back into shape with no luck. Now I can’t find chain rings that fit the 4-hole design. I’m not opposed to a different brand, but wanted to swap just the rings if possible.

Here are the complete specs – any leads would be appreciated.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

I’d take it to one of the shops and ask the mechanics. They’d be able to order what you needed and install it if you aren’t planning on doing the work.

Sheldon’s site is a great resource[/url] as is the Mechanics section of Bike Forums. Or try the local version.

ETA

Do you want to replace the chain rings or the entire crankset?

pez
    Participant

I’d prefer the chain rings only, but would replace the whole crankset if that was cost effective. I’ve got a friend who can do the work, but we couldn’t find the parts. I assume it doesn’t matter where it goes for service, since the parts are pretty interchangeable from bike to bike, correct? Thanks for the links, I’ll dig into them, looks like Sheldon has a method that I may be able to bend them back.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

For the most part things are pretty standard. I did a search and the crankset is running around $40 on line.

I’m still learning my way around the mechanical side, so I’m not sure if any of the modern cranksets can simply have new rings swapped in. I know the old stuff you typically can.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

D’Oh! I have a wholesale catalogue sitting in front of me. Even if you can buy the new chain rings separate, the ones listed are priced, wholesale, between $15-93 depending on the type-at least in my book.

ETA

Wondering if this matches?

Pixel Doll
    Participant

Third Hand Bike Coop[/url]

Great staff and they have done great work :)

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Pixel Doll wrote >>
    Third Hand Bike Coop[/url]
    Great staff and they have done great work :)

For anyone not familiar, Third Hand is supervised DIY. The volunteers are wonderful, just be prepared that it’s not a drop it off and leave bike shop. It also gets crazy busy at times, so arrive early and prepared to be patient.

cc

+1 for Third Hand Bike Co-op

Not only will you get your bike fixed you will learn a lot about it and it won’t cost an arm and a leg. Awesome Columbus resource!

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

B1 Bicycles has new hours:
    will be open 10-7 everyday except for Sundays.
    (Current as of May 2012)

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: