Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Q: Does anyone have any good bike shop recommendations?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Q: Does anyone have any good bike shop recommendations?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

mattkaz

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a bike shop that does good work on bikes? I’m in the Short North…

Brewmaster

I’d recommend Roll up by Polaris. They laced up my new front wheel and did a great job. The staff is friendly and the store is very cool. Plus, I think they’re a relatively new local startup company with expansion plans, and it’s always good to patronize those places.

http://roll-online.com/index.cfm

TimFitz

For something a little more local to the short north, I just heard about a new bike shop opening somewhere downtown, however I don’ t know the name or location. I heard about it from one of the guys who works at Magnolia Thunderpussy records, I think it was even having it’s grand opening yesterday. Anyone else heard about this?

dru
    Participant

TimFitz wrote For something a little more local to the short north, I just heard about a new bike shop opening somewhere downtown, however I don’ t know the name or location. I heard about it from one of the guys who works at Magnolia Thunderpussy records, I think it was even having it’s grand opening yesterday. Anyone else heard about this?

I don’t know if it’s open, but there has been a sign and bikes in a windowfront on Long Street between 3rd and 4th – across from the Connections lofts.

As for other suggestions, I’ve been happy with the service at Baer Wheels on the corner of Weber and High in Clintonville – http://www.baerwheels.com/contact.html

cab124

For something a little more local to the short north, I just heard about a new bike shop opening somewhere downtown, however I don’ t know the name or location. I heard about it from one of the guys who works at Magnolia Thunderpussy records, I think it was even having it’s grand opening yesterday. Anyone else heard about this?

Yes, I live at Connextions Lofts so I have been able to follow the progress of the new bike shop which is right across Long St. from our parking lot. They have been working on it for quite a while and it looks like they are close to opening. The sign says “B1 Bicycles.” I am looking forward to checking it out once it finally opens.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

Baer has been good to me, too.

B1 Bicycles looks to be a fixie/messenger bike type shop. At least that’s what it looks like.

http://profile.myspace.com/b1bicycles

http://www.b1bicycles.com/

MikeReed
    Participant

A friend, Chris Luers, just started a business repainting bikes. He picks up and drops off. He’s a really laid back, smart guy. He is calling his business Restoration Bikes. His number is 614-937-7616 or e-mail [email protected].

He specializes in older bikes, but doesn’t limit it to that. Tell him I sent you.

I’ve had mixed success with bike shops. They are worse than guitar shops. There seems to be an inverse relationship to knowing your stuff and being a nice person sometimes in bike stores.

I’ve heard that there is a bike store in Beechwald that is decent, but I can’t recall the name. I think it might be Northland Cycle and Fitness.

B1 Bicycles just opened (as mentioned earlier in this thread). I’ve taken my bike there and met the owner. Very cool experience. It’s close to home, provide great service at great prices.

Their website is just getting started, so no info yet. http://www.b1bicycles.com/

http://www.myspace.com/b1bicycles

Check ’em out. You wont be disappointed!

cab124

Glad to hear that!!

Do they offer any kind of a spring “tune-up?” I need to get my bike ready for the summer months. I also need a new trip computer (speed, mileage, etc.) and a helmet. I have never used a helmet in the past, but I think it makes sense when riding around in traffic downtown.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, I could use a tuneup on mine as well. If B1 does that sort of thing I’d gladly take it to them.

ginger

Baer Wheels in Clintonville is awesome and reasonably priced. The employees are knowledgeable and don’t do the whole “High Fidelity” schtick if you don’t have a crazy-expensive bike.

ginger wrote Baer Wheels in Clintonville is awesome and reasonably priced. The employees are knowledgeable and don’t do the whole “High Fidelity” schtick if you don’t have a crazy-expensive bike.

No,but they will frown on anyone that doesn’t ride a touring bike. Take a BMX in there and watch the bad vibes consume the room.

ginger

columbus native wrote

No,but they will frown on anyone that doesn’t ride a touring bike. Take a BMX in there and watch the bad vibes consume the room.

Well that sucks. :(

well it pretty much does, but the Bear family tend to specialize in that kind of bike. I have friends that have gotten the same respone with trials and mountian bikes there. I will say that they have a wealth of knowledge on the touring bikes if thats your bag.

There are some awesome fixed gear retro fits that a guy I know if fixing up and selling on craigs list recently. He has been listing the rebuilds under 11th avenue bikes I believe.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: