Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Pupillary Distance measurment

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Pupillary Distance measurment

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

paktinat

I want to order some prescription wind goggles online, but I need to get my pupilary distance measured.

I went to the OSU thing to pickup my contacts I just ordered and they refused.

Their reasoning is that it is a liability to take measurements and not make the glasses.

my retort of “oh, that’s why I’m required to purchased contact and glasses here, because you wrote the prescription” only frustrated the counter worker.

Anyway, does anyone know where I can get this done locally with one of those nifty machines that are always laying about the eye glass stores? I’d rather not do the “let a friend hold a ruler up to your face” thing.

thanks

adrock

hah. they’re lying their asses off. my eye doctor asks if i want a copy of it to take home with me in case i want to order something online.

i think you might be best off just to stop in some places and flat out asking them to do it as a favor. i know one time my glasses broke at lane ave mall and i went into the lenscrafters and they fixed them even though i wasn’t a customer there. if they’ll put in a screw and refit glasses for someone who wasn’t a customer, then they might hold up a thing to your face for 5 seconds to help you out.

berdawn

That can’t be right…most reputable optometrists will give you a copy of your prescription.

I love Dr. Koch at Columbus Eyeworks. I needed replacement glasses earlier this year, tho (they are closed on Mondays) and went to Eyemart at the trader joes on Sawmill/161 and they were super inexpensive.

paktinat

I have my regular script, they just didn’t measure the PD. I guess because they do that when you order glasses.

If I can just pay someone to do it I will(since I wouldn’t be ordering glasses from them)

groundrules
    Participant

i’ll bet if you hold up a ruler and take a photo, you could get a pretty accurate measurement.

paktinat wrote >>
    I want to order some prescription wind goggles online, but I need to get my pupilary distance measured.
    I went to the OSU thing to pickup my contacts I just ordered and they refused.
    Their reasoning is that it is a liability to take measurements and not make the glasses.
    my retort of “oh, that’s why I’m required to purchased contact and glasses here, because you wrote the prescription” only frustrated the counter worker.
    Anyway, does anyone know where I can get this done locally with one of those nifty machines that are always laying about the eye glass stores? I’d rather not do the “let a friend hold a ruler up to your face” thing.
    thanks

That is BS. Just call back and ask someone else. The people who staff the eyeglass room are always super nice (they are students), but I’ve met some bad apples on the admin end. Keep trying till you find someone willing to help out.

FYI I just called the Optometry Board to ask about this. IF the optometrist has ever taken your PD then it is part of your medical record, and they must legally release it to you. If they have not taken your PD (like if you’ve never ordered glasses from them before) then they don’t have it on record and obviously can’t give the # to you.

When you go for an eye exam next, just be sure to ask what your PD is and for it to be made part of your medical record, and/or ask the optometrist to write it on your prescription.

turbo ninja
    Participant

sugarplumclarey wrote >>
    FYI I just called the Optometry Board to ask about this. IF the optometrist has ever taken your PD then it is part of your medical record, and they must legally release it to you.

What if it’s not specifically the optometrist who does the PD measurement, but instead some salesperson/technician/assistant? I don’t think I’ve ever had my PD measured by an actual optometrist.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Urban Living Tour returns (with strict safety guidelines) on Aug 30!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS