Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Public Transit - “It’s just another barrier to self-sufficiency”

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Public Transit – “It’s just another barrier to self-sufficiency”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

ehill27 said:
    :)

(like the 4 or 5 people on CU who spend their day looking for transit stories to crap on).

Call them out. Who are they ? I’ll name one: Rus. Not sure, but have suspected for some time he’s being paid to troll, to create noise by maintaining a presence here, where his own posts sacrifice quality for quantity.

No offense intended Rus. You’re a big kid. You can defend yourself.

cheap

Savings of as much as $1,333 will be matched 2-to-1, which means participants will have as much as $3,999 for a car. Jones said it can go toward any car they choose, although program advisers will encourage people to buy a used car in that price range.

let me get this straight:

if i make less than 38K a year,and put my car in my brother’s name
    (they just check the driving record)

these people will give me money to buy another car.

absolutely frigging brilliant.

MRipley
    Participant

Walker said:
    I didn’t say that they would.

I’m saying that if you’re attempting to make a big blanket statement for all people across all types of public transit, it’s just not true.

Does the single guy in a suit with a nice job who ride the subway to work in any of those cities fall in line with the statement about self-sufficiency? Of course not.

There was no attempt to make a blanket statement (if it makes you feel better though, feel free to change the topic title to soemthing that you’re more comfortable with)

I see your point and wouldn’t disagree about a single guy with a nice job and suit, but the article had nothing to do with that person. It was about poor people with multiple jobs, school, kids, etc.

joev
    Participant

Self-sufficiency is pretty wasteful. It’s for sure an American dream, but it’s leading down the road of accumulating crap we don’t use to its fullest potential.

Polis
    Participant

While it’s a novel idea to give cars to low-income families, the purchasing part of the car is not always the issue. The issue comes with buying insurance, fuel and maintenance. Teaching someone to budget is great if they have the extra income to maintain a car, if not it’s fruitless.

Supporting car sharing or a similar program as well as a job oriented initiative, to me, seems like a better investment. Families who are very-low-income and in the most need of transportation will not be able to benefit as much. At least this place teaches budgeting as well.

Also, the term “public transit” could apply to this program if the government is funding part of it. The definition doesn’t only include mass transit options, although those are generally the most cost efficient means.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

MRipley said:
    There was no attempt to make a blanket statement.

Cherry picking a quote out of the middle of an article and sticking it in the headline would lead most people to believe you were attempting to take it out of context.

Sounds like that wasn’t your intention though. So carry on then. ;)

cheap

Polis said:
    While it’s a novel idea to give cars to low-income families, the purchasing part of the car is not always the issue. The issue comes with buying insurance, fuel and maintenance. Teaching someone to budget is great if they have the extra income to maintain a car, if not it’s fruitless.

exactly.

replacing a transmission in a car isn’t like the old days.

you’re looking at a couple grand minimum on most cars today,unless you do the junkyard route,which is just playing russian roulette with your car.

i see this program getting so abused they will just shut it down.

straw buyers will be coming out of the woodwork

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

MRipley said:
    From the article:

Why would someone in Manhattan or London or Tokyo with those same situations (two jobs, work/school, day-care, shift-work, overtime, etc) find it any easier to rely on public transit?

Is it somehow not doable to have kids on buses and trains?

Have seen on COTA people with infants and kids, plus blind folk and people in wheelchairs, and people with bikes, skateboards, art projects, books, groceries….

Have seen students from other countries, such as India and Pakistan, take COTA, having with them their kids and their aged parents.

In light of peak oil; climate change (floods, droughts, wild fires anyone?); air pollution; wars for oil; and obesity; shouldn’t we use our imaginations to find a way out of our single-occupancy-internal-combustion-engine-rut, instead of using our imaginations for coming up with all sorts of reasons why we should stay in our rut?

I care about the future of our country. It’s sad that we’re falling behind the times, and–surrealistically–being arrogant about it.

MRipley
    Participant

Walker said:
    Cherry picking a quote out of the middle of an article and sticking it in the headline would lead most people to believe you were attempting to take it out of context.

Sounds like that wasn’t your intention though. So carry on then. ;)

Just thought that was a pretty important quote in the article. As I said change it to something less pointed if you want.

Amazing though how some transit proponents will either jump all over a topic title or suggest that the topic be ignored (TomOver) when it doesn’t agree with their viewpoint.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’m not jumping on anything. Just sharing an opinion.

Relax… it’s Friday. ;)

geoyui
    Participant

MRipley said:

Amazing though how some transit proponents will either jump all over a topic title or suggest that the topic be ignored (TomOver) when it doesn’t agree with their viewpoint.

I thought lifeontwowheels, polis, cheap and even parts of tomover had some good points about the problems with assisting low income families in purchasing cars and altneratives that could work better. There was no jumping or ignoring on their part.

cheap

i abhor mass transit.

i’ve hated buses since i was a little kid

i remember the seats stunk like roadkill.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

MRipley said:
    Just thought that was a pretty important quote in the article. As I said change it to something less pointed if you want.

Made that suggestion, assuming folk generally don’t unquestioningly do as I say. IMHO, given peak oil, climate change, and air pollution, the stakes are so high that the risks of further debate about the pros and cons of public transit outweigh the risk of focusing on making it happen.

Would rather see folk here engaging in the question of how we will go about creating more public transit, instead of continuing to ask the question of why or whether we should do it.

To what extent does anyone else here think or feel this way ?

cheap

TomOver said:

To what extent does anyone else here think or feel this way ?

Graybeak
    Participant

Would rather see folk here engaging in the question of how we will go about creating more public transit, instead of continuing to ask the question of why or whether we should do it.

This seems akin to the oversimplified statement “I want to discuss how we will spend $500 million instead of asking why or whether we should spend $500 million.”

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.