Our City Online

Messageboard - Civic Meetings

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Public Meeting: High Street Parking Meters

Home Forums Events Civic Meetings Public Meeting: High Street Parking Meters

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

byJody
    Participant

The City of Columbus is adding approximately 130 new parking spaces on High Street between Goodale Ave and Mound St. starting later this year.

When installed, customers will be able to park in front of stores and restaurants. The result? More people on High Street and a vibrant downtown, everybody’s neighborhood.

Public Meeting & Open House:

Thursday August 2, 5-7 pm; Presentation at 5:30 PM

Mid Ohio Regional Planning Commission

Scioto Conference Room

111 Liberty Street, Suite 100

Columbus, OH 43215

Questions?

Jessica Kendrick, PE, Traffic Safety Engineer

614-645-7882

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’ll be there! ;)

Neutzy
    Participant

How will this impact COTA service? The bus lane where they plan to allow cars to park is the backbone of COTA’s entire system. I foresee that this plan will cause delays for everyone that rides the bus as already backed-up buses will now also have to weave in and out behind parked cars. Does adding 130 new parking spaces to a sea of thousands really justify causing delays for perhaps all of COTA’s 64,000 daily (weekday) riders?

Was one bus lane in the entire city really too much to ask? I’ll be at this meeting too. :)

bjovdqwteoo

and this with the feeling of lightheadedness. only let you look baggy mental seriously grasp the small details of dress cheap cleveland browns jerseys, with the classic , a fully accept their own bodies cheap philadelphia eagles jerseys, do not put any names relating to letters or yards wore 16. you do not have a lot of khaki step casual white cotton T shirt or thick canvas tennis shoes . you should buy a brand suits cheap oakland raiders jerseys, to make underwear cheap nfl jerseys, Equipment: a pair of hiking shoes. pays careful attention to the body . High the flowers are in non-flower cheap houston texans jerseys, change to go sweat sportswear cheap indianapolis colts jerseys, baby before the event, increased lung capacity. also depending on the individual -specific physical fitness of children an increase in the number of drinking water . tanks, to prevent sprains and useful too, a simple tie with a high authoritative, suit and tie must be no bar or grid; and tie C, be sure to do full preparation activities.

geoyui
    Participant

bjovdqwteoo said:
    and this with the feeling of lightheadedness. only let you look baggy mental seriously grasp the small details of dress cheap cleveland browns jerseys, with the classic , a fully accept their own bodies cheap philadelphia eagles jerseys, do not put any names relating to letters or yards wore 16. you do not have a lot of khaki step casual white cotton T shirt or thick canvas tennis shoes . you should buy a brand suits cheap oakland raiders jerseys, to make underwear cheap nfl jerseys, Equipment: a pair of hiking shoes. pays careful attention to the body . High the flowers are in non-flower cheap houston texans jerseys, change to go sweat sportswear cheap indianapolis colts jerseys, baby before the event, increased lung capacity. also depending on the individual -specific physical fitness of children an increase in the number of drinking water . tanks, to prevent sprains and useful too, a simple tie with a high authoritative, suit and tie must be no bar or grid; and tie C, be sure to do full preparation activities.

bjovdqwteoo raises a lot of good points.

Pasquar

“More people on High Street and a vibrant downtown, everybody’s neighborhood.”

Does this truely mean ‘everybody’ or does it mean ‘those who have cars’?? I think it’s clear what kind of people this move will benefit and what kind of people this move will hurt. Add parking meters to the busiest area for COTA to facilitate access to those with cars while impeding the safety and efficiency of riding the bus for lower-income residents who can’t afford a car. A move like this reveals what is really meant by ‘everyone’s neighborhood’, and it does not include bus riders.

I will be at the meeting.

I will attend with a group of concerned Columbus residents to ask more questions about how this decision was made. As a COTA rider, I am concerned about the needs of riders and my advocacy for mass transportation. As cyclist and pedestrian, it’s clear….more cars means more hazardous biking and walking.

cheap

i see dead car doors on high st.

BCNation
    Participant

“My ass will be there.” (at the meeting)

News
    Participant

Parking Meters Coming Soon to High Street through Downtown
    Published on August 1, 2012 9:45 am
    By: Walker

Look north and you see parking meters. Look south and you see parking meters. But on the central Downtown stretch of High Street, there’s not a parking meter to be found. That will soon begin to change as the Department of Public Service plans to begin the installation of approximately 130 new parking meters before the end of the year.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/parking-meters-coming-soon-to-high-street-through-downtown

byJody
    Participant

Here is a link to a PDF of the High St Map. I’ve been told it includes Sharrows in the Shared bus/bike lane, but I am not seeing it on this schematic. Which is a concern.

PDF MAP LINK

MRipley
    Participant

byJody said:
    Here is a link to a PDF of the High St Map. I’ve been told it includes Sharrows in the Shared bus/bike lane, but I am not seeing it on this schematic. Which is a concern.

PDF MAP LINK

Looks like it might have sharrows from Rich to Gay. Not sure though, my eyes aren’t that young anymore.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Bump! This meeting is this evening for anyone interested in attending!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The meeting tonight was pretty well attended. Maybe 40 people in the room, which I’d consider a win for a public meeting on parking meters. ;)

The plan was presented and ran through in detail, followed by a brief Q&A session that was cut short before all questions were answered because of time constraints.

The questions and comments seemed to veer more toward issues with the project rather than overall approval, though some attendees praised the overall concept before getting into the details.

The biggest concerns that I heard were (and anyone feel free to chime in if I’m forgetting anything… wasn’t really taking notes):

• Not enough consideration is being made for bikers. The glowing example of this is the placement of the “sharrows” in the door zone of the curb-side lanes. Bikes would be riding very dangerously along side parked cars if this makes it into the final plan.

• The addition of meters will negatively impact COTA bus routes, bus stops, bus riders and bus timeliness. There were representatives there from COTA including CEO Curtiss Stitt, and reps stated that COTA has been involved in the process from the beginning and only would consider a final proposal that calls for no significant change to bus operations through this corridor. That said, this concern was one still brought up several more times by several people.

• The scope of the project is too narrow and doesn’t take other considerations or accommodations into play. The contractor was tasked with figuring out how to add metered parking to High Street, and that is specifically what their plan is yielding. Some attendees wanted to see alternatives for more metered parking on side streets that do not currently have it, or accommodations through parking lots or garages.

• A group of attendees passed around a one-sheeter that proposed the alternative of keeping High Street transit-centric and making better improvements to transit systems and bike accommodations to further enhance the retail appeal of High Street. They also had signatures of over 150 people who oppose the plan. More info on that, here:

http://www.fightingforohiojobs.org/tell_the_columbus_city_council_don_t_disrupt_the_downtown_bus_routes

————

I didn’t raise any concerns myself at the meeting, but left my feedback via comment form. As a daily bus rider, I don’t want to see bus service disrupted. If that can be figured out, then I’m in favor of adding strategic placement of on-street meters to High Street for the same reason that they exist in The Short North, South Campus, North Campus, Clintonville, South High Street, Gay Street and every other area with any sort of retail vibrancy. Parking meters are one factor that can assist with retail businesses, and the lack of them on High downtown is a hinderance to retail development.

I think there’s a happy medium in there somewhere that can be found for cars, buses, bikes, pedestrians and parked cars. Might not have reached it tonight, but I think we can get there.

byJody
    Participant

Great write up Walker. You hit on my concerns, Sharrows directing a bike rider to ride in the door zone are not a good idea. The question is, how do you show one place for bikes during peak hours and another during off peak? Maybe just “Bikes may use full lane” signage and paint in both lanes, because either way, the cyclist will be taking the lane. (sometimes right lane, sometimes left lane).

This is turning into bus vs business, which is unfortunate. I was not impressed by the bus advocates, complaining about slower service and then also complaining about removing stops which is designed to make service more efficient. Our system has way more stops than average for a comparable city, so it seems like making it more efficient is a good thing.

I am hopeful that the metering will expedite the need to create some kind of transit center downtown, hey Dayton has a nice one, but we just keep using our Statehouse as the Defacto transit center – you’d never see the US Capitol used this way.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

The forum ‘Civic Meetings’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION