Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Interstate 70/71 Construction Downtown - News & Discussion

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Interstate 70/71 Construction Downtown – News & Discussion

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 411 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Some top-down photos from ODOT via email:

News
    Participant

Via Email:
    Big Bridge Opening Means Traffic Changes Are Coming!

Morning “rush hour” traffic on Monday, September 16 will have more lanes as the new I-670 east flyover bridge will open and take traffic up and over I-71 toward Port Columbus International Airport, the City of Gahanna and the I-270 Outerbelt. We’ll have more details for you in next week’s Columbus Crossroads e-blast, but we thought an aerial view of the upcoming changes will give you a good heads up on what to expect. Hint: If you are traveling on I-670 east start singing Beyoncé’s “to the left, to the left” to get ready for the big change.

This map shows the new traffic movements over both flyover bridges starting September 16. Remember to drive the speed limit and read the signs so you head in the right direction!

News
    Participant

Via Email:
    Ready, Set — Open! I-670 “Flyover” Opens On Monday

Monday’s morning commuters on eastbound I-670 may not sprout wings, but they will be able to “fly” their way through downtown Columbus.

At 1,690 feet in length, the I-670 west “flyover” bridge opens for traffic in time for Monday morning’s rush hour. It is the longest bridge structure on the Columbus Crossroads project and will fly traffic over the reconstructed I-71. Call it a “direct flight” to Port Columbus International Airport, Gahanna and other east side destinations.

It took a total of 2,300 cubic yards of concrete and 580,000 pounds of steel rebar just to complete the bridge deck. Kokosing crews have spent the last several weeks putting the finishing details on the bridge and its approaches.

The new traffic pattern will impact your drive in to downtown Columbus on I-670 from the west side. Here’s how:

LEFT 2 lanes continue on I-670 east ONLY. (*These used to be the lanes for I-71 north and south.)

RIGHT 2 lanes exit to I-71 north and south ONLY. (*These used to be the lanes for I-670 east.)

The two LEFT lanes continue on I-670 east only. The two RIGHT lanes exit to I-71 north and south. Exit to Cleveland Ave. on far right.

This map shows the new traffic movements over both flyover bridges starting September 16.

Remember to drive the speed limit and read the signs so you head in the right direction!

http://www.facebook.com/odot71670
    http://www.twitter.com/odot71670

News
    Participant

Via Email:
    Ready, Set — Open! I-670 “Flyover” Opens On Monday

Monday’s morning commuters on eastbound I-670 may not sprout wings, but they will be able to “fly” their way through downtown Columbus.

At 1,690 feet in length, the I-670 west “flyover” bridge opens for traffic in time for Monday morning’s rush hour. It is the longest bridge structure on the Columbus Crossroads project and will fly traffic over the reconstructed I-71. Call it a “direct flight” to Port Columbus International Airport, Gahanna and other east side destinations.

It took a total of 2,300 cubic yards of concrete and 580,000 pounds of steel rebar just to complete the bridge deck. Kokosing crews have spent the last several weeks putting the finishing details on the bridge and its approaches.

The new traffic pattern will impact your drive in to downtown Columbus on I-670 from the west side. Here’s how:

LEFT 2 lanes continue on I-670 east ONLY. (*These used to be the lanes for I-71 north and south.)

RIGHT 2 lanes exit to I-71 north and south ONLY. (*These used to be the lanes for I-670 east.)

The two LEFT lanes continue on I-670 east only. The two RIGHT lanes exit to I-71 north and south. Exit to Cleveland Ave. on far right.

This map shows the new traffic movements over both flyover bridges starting September 16.

Remember to drive the speed limit and read the signs so you head in the right direction!

http://www.facebook.com/odot71670
    http://www.twitter.com/odot71670

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Now witness the traffic power of this fully armed and operational I-670 Interchange.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

hugh59 said:
    Now witness the traffic power of this fully armed and operational I-670 Interchange.

We will win this war against t****s! haha, just kidding I love t****s!

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Poor Fort Hayes and its island of solitude.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

jpizzow said:

Hey, it’s not *totally* alone. Has the Kroger Bakery and Abbott Labs to keep it company. ;)

columbusmike
    Participant

I’m willing to bet traffic really doesn’t get that much better…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

columbusmike said:
    I’m willing to bet traffic really doesn’t get that much better…

+1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induced_demand#Effect_in_transportation_systems

lattethunder
    Participant

jpizzow said:

+1

It’s pretty much impossible to connect this area with downtown… which also makes it hard to connect Milo Grogan with downtown. That area is in need of some serious attention.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

lattethunder said:
    It’s pretty much impossible to connect this area with downtown…

Well, there’s one way to do it…

Urban Highway Removal

lattethunder
    Participant

Walker said:
    Well, there’s one way to do it…

Urban Highway Removal

Yes please!

Or a cap for cleveland going over 670. Or something!

News
    Participant

From here: https://www.columbusunderground.com/design-digest-mksk-bw1

Chris Hermann of MKSK: After working on the project since 2004, I’m excited to see the Spring and Long Street Bridges completed over I-71 as part of Phase 1 (early Spring 2014). I hope the community enjoys them and finds they create better bike and pedestrian connections, screen the interstate, and serve as neighborhood gateways. There are still 12 more bridges to be rebuilt as part of this project over the next 8+ years, so stay tuned… maybe even a sister to the High Street Cap.

News
    Participant

For Immediate Release – October 7, 2013
    Main Street Ramp Opening in Two Days

COLUMBUS – (NEW) The Main Street ramp currently under construction will re-open on schedule this Wednesday in time for the afternoon commute. The ramp from Main Street to I-71 south closed in August for 60 days so it could be re-built as part of the ODOT Mound Street Connector Project.

The ODOT project will eliminate the dangerous weave from I-71 north across I-70 east by providing a new and safer access point in downtown Columbus. The Mound Street Connector will build a bridge that goes up and over I-70 and 71 and exits on to Mound Street. The project will also construct a new bridge at 18th St. Once the new Mound Street ramp is open; the exit from I-70 west to 4th Street will close. That is one of the highest crash prone ramps in the downtown corridor.

In order to build the Mound Street Connector, the Main Street ramp had to be reconfigured. The ramp from Main St. to I-71 south will be open by 3 p.m. on Wednesday October 9.

The Mound St. Connector project is expected to be complete next year.

For up-to-date traffic information, construction information and road conditions, 24-hours a day, visit http://www.Ohgo.com

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 411 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!