Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Interstate 70/71 Construction Downtown - News & Discussion

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Interstate 70/71 Construction Downtown – News & Discussion

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 411 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Public Hearing on Proposed Phase 1 I-70/71 Split Improvement Plan

WHO:

Councilmember Hearcel F. Craig, Public Service & Transportation Committee

Councilmember Andrew J. Ginther, Finance and Economic Development Committee

Councilmember Priscilla R. Tyson, Development Committee

Various Councilmembers

Representatives of the Ohio Department of Transportation

WHEN:

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

5:30 PM

WHERE:

City Council Chambers

City Hall

90 West Broad Street

WHAT:

The Columbus City Council will hold a public hearing regarding the Ohio Department of Transportation’s proposed phase 1 of the I-70/71 split improvement project. The meeting will include a presentation by representatives of ODOT and public testimony will be accepted. Those wishing to testify should fill out a speaker slip on the day of the hearing between the hours of 8:00 am – 5:00 pm in the lobby entrance of City Hall located on the Front Street side of the building. Speaker slips will also be accepted in Council Chambers until 6pm. Free parking is available in the Gay Street parking lot on the north side of City Hall after 5:00 pm. The meeting will be broadcast live on C-TV, Columbus’ government television station on all local cable outlets.

roy
    Participant

Bump. This is happening WEDNESDAY.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

I heard ODOT intends to take away part of the downtown bike path to accommodate the split. Is this hearing for that proposal?

Columbusite

Ah, should be interesting. Just some quick facts to remember:

*ODOT cites the number of overcapacity vehicles as the main problem, yet is spending $1.7 billion to do everything but reduce that number.

*Rerouting trucks off the split alone would reduce the current amount of overcapacity vehicles down by 1/3 (20,000) each day.

*ODOT has not yet stated how long the split fix will handle current and future traffic volumes. That $1.7 billion could just be to accommodate current capacity or could handle increases for 50 years, we don’t know.

*ODOT doesn’t know what urban avenues are.

*Businesses near the split, particularly in OTE and KL, are going to put in a bad spot for at least 2 years.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Bump! Wednesday.

This is a crucially important meeting in the split fix process, and I’d highly encourage folks to attend, speak, write, etc.

gk

Thanks for the public notice. It should be an interesting meeting now that people seem to be engaged in the project and decision-making process.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

The downtown bicycle path will be discussed as ODOT hopes to claim some of it. Bike path users might want to come down.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

A letter of concern:

Jeffrey Darbee and Nancy Recchie
    393 Library Park South
    Columbus, Ohio 43215

July 6, 2010

Columbus City Council
    90 West Broad Street
    Columbus, Ohio 43215

Dear Members of Council:

We have been following the design development of I-70/71 through downtown Columbus for at least the past six years. We have attended countless public hearings and have spent many volunteer hours trying to track developments and how they will impact Columbus’s fine historic central city neighborhoods. This project, which began as a $500 million project is now estimated to cost over $1.5 billion. Yet, its design still does not address many of the concerns that neighborhood groups have expressed for years.

It has come to our attention that City Council will be considering legislation before the August break that will begin the process of approval of this project. We are asking that this legislation be delayed until the City has listened to and acted upon the many concerns of the neighborhoods directly impacted by this project.

Once the first phase of the project is approved, it will establish a design that will impact later phases. This is the largest capital construction project in Columbus history. The city, and specifically the downtown and center city historic neighborhoods, will live with the impact for at least another generation. The current freeway was designed without any concern for the impact it would have on the center city. Its construction directly contributed to disinvestment in the downtown and its surrounding neighborhoods.

While we can understand that ODOT is concerned about moving traffic through the city, we are concerned with the impact the project will have on the livability of our downtown and neighborhoods. We believe that you, as our elected officials, represent us and should aid us in our dispute with ODOT. Please tell ODOT that you want to hear from the impacted neighborhoods and will not pass legislation until the City is comfortable with the mitigation of the adverse impacts of this project on our center city. If you don’t stand up for our neighborhoods and the city’s interests – then who will? Shouldn’t we expect the best for Ohio’s capital city?

Sincerely,
    Nancy Recchie
    Jeffrey Darbee

futureman
    Participant

lizless wrote >>
    The downtown bicycle path will be discussed as ODOT hopes to claim some of it. Bike path users might want to come down.

Which bike path are they talking about? The section around Fort Hayes and Leonard Ave?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

futureman wrote >>

lizless wrote >>

Which bike path are they talking about? The section around Fort Hayes and Leonard Ave?

Yes, a portion of the 670 bike path.

From what I’ve gathered, it’s land that the city owns, and ODOT wants it turned over to them ASAP. Sounds like it’s a pretty strong bargaining chip. And of course… Public Service Director Mark Kelsey is ready to “service the public” to the best of his ability by pushing City Council to hand it over to ODOT as quickly as possible, no questions asked.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Another letter of concern:

July 6, 2010

Mayor Mike Coleman
    Councilman Hearcel Craig
    Councilman Andrew Ginther
    City Hall
    90 W. Broad Street
    Columbus, Ohio 43215

Re: the 70/71 ODOT Program

Dear Sirs;

As a member of the 70/71 Neighborhood Advisory Group representing the historic Town/Franklin neighborhood as well as a board member of the Discovery District SID, I wanted to communicate my extreme concern and frustration around the ODOT 70/71 project and the perceived reaction so far by the City of Columbus.

I have spent many hours attending ODOT public workshops where the group has been told things that just are not accurate. It has been my observation that members of the City Government have attended those meetings, but have always been background listeners and have provided little input or leadership.

And now I find out that City Council has legislation they hope to pass this month with little or no input from the Neighborhood Advisory Group or any other interested parties. This $1.7 billion construction project is the biggest thing to happen to Columbus and will have repercussions on the success of downtown and surrounding areas for the next 25 plus years.

As a resident living in the the historic Kelton school house on Franklin Avenue and additionally an owner of another apartment building on same street, I do not understand why the city would not be speaking out to protect what few downtown historic properties that are left. Ours is a beautiful tree-lined brick street that currently has doesn’t allow enough room for two cars to pass each other at the same time and now it is going to be turned into an offshoot of the Lester freeway exit ramp. The impact of these decisions on one of the last bricked downtown streets is enormous. Where are the “complete” streets that ODOT has promised for the past several months?

When all is done, this project has the opportunity to put Columbus on the map as the forward thinking community we all hope and believe we are and must be. There are examples of how other cities have faced these challenges and come out on top – why is the City of Columbus accepting anything less?

There is just too much at stake for City Council to push through a quick vote on this just because you are being pressured and want to get past it before your summer recess. Please take the time to do this right and work with the downtown and surrounding neighborhoods to put together something that works and that we can be proud of.

Sincerely,

Robert Klie III
    584 Franklin Ave.
    Columbus, Ohio 43215

Cc: 70/71 Neighborhood Advisory Group
    Cleve Ricksecker, Executive Director, Discovery SID
    Evelyn Levino, Chairman, Discovery SID Board
    Nancy Campbell, Ohio Historical Society

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

I don’t understand why the Director of Public Service would sign off on removing a portion of the City’s bicycle path. It doesn’t make any sense. Does our Director still work for ODOT or the City of Columbus? Whose best interests are in mind? Sure sounds like ODOT’s.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

lizless wrote >>
    I don’t understand why the Director of Public Service would sign off on removing a portion of the City’s bicycle path. It doesn’t make any sense. Does our Director still work for ODOT or the City of Columbus? Whose best interests are in mind? Sure sounds like ODOT’s.

Is this the same one behind the parking meter fiasco?

I would hate to see the bike path lost, as it provides an E/W connection off the Alum Creek. But I don’t know how critical it is when you can come down a hair further and hit either Oak/Bryden or Greenway/Mt Vernon. I would be interested to hear what ODOTs plan is for accommodating bikes into the surrounding area’s redesign as a result of the “fix”.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

Yep, same dude. Public Service Director Mark Kelsey. He used to work for ODOT before the mayor appointed him director. Sometimes I think he forgets that he represents the City of Columbus now.

sirlancelot
    Participant

As someone who lives only two blocks from the project, I see this as just another example of how Columbus operates. A long series of projects and developments such as City Center, the Brewery District, and the downtown Arena seem to be guided by persons or groups who put their own interests ahead of the community. One can be sure that however the I-70/71 Split project is finalised, certain people will profit.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 411 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Urban Living Tour returns (with strict safety guidelines) on Aug 30!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS