Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

PSA: Downtown Parking Meters Enforced Until 10PM

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion PSA: Downtown Parking Meters Enforced Until 10PM

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

somertimeoh
    Participant

They ran cost-benefit analysis and paraded them in front of us when it suited them. I have no doubt the number crunching came up favorable for them or it wouldn’t have been the decision they ultimately made.

Also, important to remember, the revenue from violations CANNOT be put in the hotel guarantee kitty. So see how counter-productive the aggressive ticketing is? You piss people off by fining aggressively, they don’t want to use your meters anymore, you lose the revenue you need to hit this # which was the whole reason this meter fiasco started to begin with!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

joev wrote >>
    Does anyone know if they meters are all marked correctly now, or is everyone just supposed to know this?

The announcements from the Public Service Department said they’d be updating stickers and signage, which I assume is why this whole thing is taking so long to roll out.

That being said, those stickers seem to have a lifespan of 3-to-6 weeks.

gramarye wrote >>
    Honestly, the hours and rates don’t bother me. It’s the predatory attitude I’ve read about with respect to enforcement–the stories of people coming back and watching the meter guy hovering around their car, waiting for the meter to expire.

+1

Again, the announcement from the PSD mentioned that the Meter Enforcement Officials would be going through some customer service training. Not sure what that entails, what the timeline for that is, or whether or not it will make any difference.

JonMyers
    Participant

somertimeoh, yeah they’re ability to crunch numbers is why I question it. :)

somertimeoh
    Participant

cc wrote >>
    @somertimeoh
    Ummm, yes I did…did you read mine?
    Your $25 is subsidizing the lower rates included the ones in Short North and Gay St.
    Your fine is not a case of aggressive ticketing but merely part of the implementation of the new rates.

That’s not how this works or why the rates changed, but thanks for attempting to show a silver lining (?)

honavery

Does every meter in the city now run till 10pm? If that is the case, could they maybe put in larger/permanent signs or something? I don’t know.

Like Walker said, the stickers wear out quickly.

JonMyers
    Participant

Walker, I don’t think customer service training would help. I do think having some measurables associated with service, and tying those measurables to compensation or job retention would turn things around.

They have every incentive to be rude and nasty because it has no bearing on how they’re compensated.

jackoh
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>
    Walker, I don’t think customer service training would help. I do think having some measurables associated with service, and tying those measurables to compensation or job retention would turn things around.
    They have every incentive to be rude and nasty because it has no bearing on how they’re compensated.

Be careful. Those “measurables” could be the amount of tickets written, which means amount of contribution to the revenue stream. Yikes!

JonMyers
    Participant

jackoh wrote >>

JonMyers wrote >>

Be careful. Those “measurables” could be the amount of tickets written, which means amount of contribution to the revenue stream. Yikes!

True! Although, I assume that’s the only measurable we currently have based on the service.

JonMyers
    Participant

jackoh wrote >>

JonMyers wrote >>

True! Although, I assume that’s the only measurable we currently have based on the service.

Graybeak
    Participant

Considering they have added more meters and expanded the hours you need to pay, I suppose it is no surprise revenue is up so much.

Meter Upgrade Proves Profitable

Meter feeders spent $4.4 million in Columbus last year, a 13.2 percent increase over the $3.9 million spent in 2011, when the city started installing credit-card-capable meters.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Doesn’t hurt that there’s more and more and more reasons to come Downtown as well.

Good news for city coffers! ;)

tobyb

Is there a map somewhere showing downtown parking meters and their hours? I don’t mind walking from the ones that shut off early and it would be nice if there was some resource that showed all of the info.

thanks

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Starship Enterprise parallel parking fail.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE