Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

PSA: Downtown Parking Meters Enforced Until 10PM

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion PSA: Downtown Parking Meters Enforced Until 10PM

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Communication sent via email today from Capital Crossroads:

I am writing to make sure you are aware of changes in parking meter policy for Gay Street. Yesterday, the City reduced meter charges by 50%, from $1.50 per hour to $.75 per hour. The reduction in meter charges came in response to community concerns about a proposed increase in parking meter rates. At the same time and at the recommendation of a panel of businesses, the City extended parking meter enforcement until 10:00 PM. Until yesterday, people could park for free after 6:00 PM.

Please advise your customers, employees, tenants, and guests who might use Gay Street after 6:00 PM that parking meters are no longer free.

The City will continue to reprogram parking meters throughout downtown. In all cases, meter charges will be reduced to $.75 per hour and enforcement times will be extended until 10:00 PM. All two-hour meters will be reprogrammed to allow for three-hour use.

The decrease in parking meter fees and extension of meter enforcement times are two recommendations made by a panel of businesses created by Mayor Coleman to review parking meter policies for the City of Columbus. The panel included Gay Street businesses, as well as property and business owners in other areas of downtown, the Arena District, University District, and Short North. The City’s Public Service Department was very responsive to suggestions and concerns raised by the panel.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. Thank you.

Cleve Ricksecker

Capital Crossroads and Discovery SIDs

http://www.downtowncolumbus.com

honavery

Yup, noticed the ones by Chipotle in GV had switched to 10pm tonight also.

Columbusite

Pretty sure that no matter whether the city does an excellent or woeful job of publicizing this that they’ll still be making bundles during/after the transition.

Motorists still don’t know how to read the stickers on the Cap stating that it’s a tow-away zone during rush hour in the morning and at 4-6PM at night. Maybe the the font and colors need an update?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Columbusite wrote >>
    Pretty sure that no matter whether the city does an excellent or woeful job of publicizing this that they’ll still be making bundles during/after the transition.

Yeah, that was kind of the whole point of these changes, for better or for worse… to raise revenues.

cc

I think this is a huge win for Gay St., less expensive meters and hopefully a bit more evening turnover.

Core_Models

cc wrote >>
    I think this is a huge win for Gay St., less expensive meters and hopefully more evening turnover.

Yeah, my kneejerk response was “this sucks” as someone who likes not worrying about paying for parking at night downtown. Once I got beyond my own motivations, I agree, its good for downtown and good for the businesses along Gay.

joev
    Participant

Does anyone know if they meters are all marked correctly now, or is everyone just supposed to know this?

sixby9is42

joev wrote >>
    Does anyone know if they meters are all marked correctly now, or is everyone just supposed to know this?

At the very least, the Grandview meter I parked at near Figlio last Friday was marked correctly.

gramarye
    Participant

Honestly, the hours and rates don’t bother me. It’s the predatory attitude I’ve read about with respect to enforcement–the stories of people coming back and watching the meter guy hovering around their car, waiting for the meter to expire.

somertimeoh
    Participant

honavery wrote >>
    Yup, noticed the ones by Chipotle in GV had switched to 10pm tonight also.

I got hit there at 9:30pm last week :( What sucks is that I came up the back way and drove past the FREE lot so I could get a $25 ticket for my 5 minute transaction. Ugh, I was so pissed. That is where I think they should use some discretion. There was maybe one other car on the street, so the need to “enforce turnover” was absolutely not there. A warning would have been nice (had I remembered the time change, I would have thrown a quarter in!) and I wouldn’t be on a personal crusade to do anything possible to not spend a nickle in a Columbus parking meter for the rest of the year.

I will be most happy if they don’t raise enough money for the bond. I know that’s awful to say, but I dislike this group of people so much, I’d really prefer they all get fired and the city starts over.

cc

somertimeoh wrote >>

. There was maybe one other car on the street, so the need to “enforce turnover” was absolutely not there. .

The enforced until 10pm in some areas is the double edged sword of the meter price decrease. I think places like Gay St and the Short North will benefit the most while other areas not so much.

JonMyers
    Participant

Well, given the fact that every time city workers are looked at cross-eyed or inconvenienced in the most minor of ways they’re paid overtime and bonuses, I fail to see how this will be profitable to enforce this late at night, based on my understanding of current staffing and compensation.

somertimeoh
    Participant

cc wrote >>

somertimeoh wrote >>

. There was maybe one other car on the street, so the need to “enforce turnover” was absolutely not there.

The enforced until 10pm in some areas is the double edged sword of the meter price decrease. I think places like Gay St and the Short North will benefit the most while other areas not so much.

Did you not read the sentence before that where I said, “That is where I think they should use some discretion.”? I absolutely agree that Gay St, Short North, and even 4th in the block where DF’s and now Little Palace are desperately need enforcement before 10pm. However, 9:30 outside of Chipotle in a deserted Brewery District, not so much. I just wish they’d admit that the predatory behavior is happening and they flat out refuse. And that’s why it makes instances like mine so shitty. I’ll pay the fine, whatever, but it puts a bad taste BACK in my mouth and I’m not even from the ‘burbs!

drew
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>
    Well, given the fact that every time city workers are looked at cross-eyed or inconvenienced in the most minor of ways they’re paid overtime and bonuses, I fail to see how this will be profitable to enforce based on my understanding of current staffing and compensation.

I’d guess that the easily torn-off stickers and otherwise inadequate notification of the change will, at least in the short term, provide plenty of revenue through fines.

But, yeah – I’ve definitely wondered how much extending meter hours helps when it requires extra man hours from the ticket patrol.

cc

@somertimeoh

Ummm, yes I did…did you read mine?

Your $25 is subsidizing the lower rates included the ones in Short North and Gay St.

Your fine is not a case of aggressive ticketing but merely part of the implementation of the new rates.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE