Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Proposed Kroger gas station @ High & North Broadway

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Proposed Kroger gas station @ High & North Broadway

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Mister MooCow
    Participant

Although they’re not publicizing it at all, Kroger wants to put a gas station in at the corner of North Broadway and High. For some reason, they think discounts on gas (instead of better quality and selection) will make people want to come and shop there.

Luckily, they’ll have to get all sorts of variances to make it happen. The first step [in thwarting their intentions] is a public forum to be held next week.

When: Thursday, July 17th at 7:00PM

Where: Clinton Heights Lutheran Church (corner of Clinton Heights @ High)

(I’m guessing it will be held in the main sanctuary).

For more info, you can ask a CAC representative; check the CAC website for contact info.

dirtgirl
    Participant

I have to admit I really welcome the Get Go down the street, but that’s because Giant Eagle’s discount program is user-friendly and the design is nice (from the street you can’t really see a giant asphalt parking lot like you do now at Kroger).

Based on the design of the store and their current lot, I have no faith in Kroger to design their gas station to be aesthetically pleasing or user friendly in terms of in-and-out traffic at an already screwed up intersection.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Mister MooCow wrote For some reason, they think discounts on gas (instead of better quality and selection) will make people want to come and shop there.

No, they want to install these gas pumps to make money.

I agree with dirtgirl that some of them can end up looking ok like the GetGo in Clintonville. Streetfront store with gas pumps hidden in back. And it turned their massive parking lot into a smaller one. Kroger should be pushed into making it fit the neighborhood if the neighbors want it at all.

Mister MooCow
    Participant

Walker wrote

Mister MooCow wrote For some reason, they think discounts on gas (instead of better quality and selection) will make people want to come and shop there.

No, they want to install these gas pumps to make money.

Indeed, they want to make money. But Kroger’s core competency (or profitability) isn’t petroleum distribution; they use gasoline as a loss-leader to get people to buy groceries (and other high-margin items that are sold in “convenience” stores/kiosks co-located with the pumps).

From section III (“Sales Drivers”) of their 2006 Fact Book:

“Despite low margins, fuel centers can deliver a high return on investment because of their extraordinary inventory turns and positive effect on overall store sales.” (emphasis added)

If, instead, they focused on the community they’re trying to serve, they’d be more aware of the demographics of Clintonville (one of the most affluent sections of Columbus according to a recent study) and more in tune with the Clintonville residents’ desires to be more bike-friendly and have North Broadway/High be a “town center” (instead of a truck stop).

Knowing these things, they might come to understand that a gas station isn’t going to increase their sales at their south Clintonville store nearly as much as returning to their core competency– e.g., striving to provide the folks in Clintonville with the same quality of service and products that Kroger provides at their Upper Arlington store.

Mister MooCow
    Participant

There’s a description of the contentious meeting listed at http://nokrogergas.com.

To paraphrase Tweety-bird (who was apparently paraphrasing Red Skelton’s mean widdle kid), Kroger don’t know Clintonville very well, do they?

Heh, I live about 200 feet from that Kroger. Can’t say I wouldn’t complain about the convenience of having a gas station there.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE