Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Commons at Third - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Commons at Third – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Angel

Grandview council backs apartments for homeless

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

By Barbara Carmen

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Nine years after Columbus neighbors fought new apartments for homeless people, a similar building is proposed near Grandview Heights.

The suburban residents also are making their sentiments clear: Welcome.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/04/06/copy/grandview-council-backs-apartments-for-homeless.html?adsec=politics&sid=101

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Excellent move by Grandview. Suburban communities have their share of problems with homelessness, yet almost all homeless services seem to be located within / provided by the City of Columbus. More suburban cities should be following in their footsteps.

The view of the homeless in this country must change. There are working poor and low class Americans that have been pushed to shelters. Hopefully this will be a viable place for recession warriors. Good for Grandview.

10sun

Once they are given a place to live, they are homeless no more!

Pablo
    Participant

The building is to be located within the City of Columbus, not in Grandview Heights. Nice sentiment by Grandview though…

DCist

This makes me (and my program) very excited! Its hard to try to keep people out of the shelters when they dont have another alternative for a few days or weeks. Hopefully this can be a transition place and we can help them move on!

cc

I am kind of wondering why Grandview is getting all of the good press when it is located in Columbus and Columbus is putting up $1 million and Grandview City Council only a nice letter.

It is a nice sentiment, but truly Columbus is doing this.

anillo
    Participant

And as soon as they get back on their feet and need to go shopping they’re just a quick walk from Grandview Yard, brilliant! =P

futureman
    Participant

Facility would offer low-cost living near Grandview Yard
    By DONAVON CAMPBELL
    Published: Monday, March 29, 2010 12:15 PM EDT

* Protests have been minimal against the project, which could house formerly homeless people by summer 2012, say National Church Residences officials

National Church Residences officials say they’re planning to build a 100-unit affordable housing facility near what will be the northern edge of the Grandview Yard development in Grandview Heights.

The project, which does not currently have a specific address, has been dubbed the Commons at Third, said Patrick Higgins, vice president of communications for National Church Residences.

Higgins said the facility would contain units of 450 to 650 square feet and would retain 50 of the units for candidates of Columbus’ Rebuilding Lives Program for formerly homeless individuals.

READ MORE

The article also mentions this would similar style to the Commons on Grant

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

cc wrote >>
    I am kind of wondering why Grandview is getting all of the good press when it is located in Columbus and Columbus is putting up $1 million and Grandview City Council only a nice letter.
    It is a nice sentiment, but truly Columbus is doing this.

Doh. I only had time to skim the article on my way out the door this morning. Never mind what I said earlier. :P

Angel

It is in columbus but grandview support is a huge part of what we need on this project. I thought you guys might be interested in the article.

btw, Commons at Buckingham is slated to open later this summer, located on Buckingham Street in Columbus, you can see it from 670!!

Commons at Buckingham Breaks Ground Downtown

catnfiddle
    Participant

This project = YIMBY. I’d love to help there once it’s established, especially if they have kids there who need help getting acclimated to school (I’m not terribly handy, but teaching / tutoring I can do).

cory

I have to admit that I’m surprised by the welcoming of government subsidized living that close to Grandview. If I were a homeowner in the area I would be concerned about the value of my property going down and an increase in crime…

HeySquare
    Participant

I live not far from the Commons at Grant, and its never been a problem, as far as I know. If you didn’t know it was transitional housing, you would think it is another apartment building, and a pretty upscale one at that. I’ve always thought the design was really well done, although I’ve never been inside, so I can’t speak to the interiors.

JackieC
    Participant

Although I am not positive, I believe I heard that any children living there will be welcomed in Grandview Schools as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: