Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Proposed Campus Development

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Proposed Campus Development

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 94 total)
  • Author

rory
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

rory wrote >>
    I’m not sure if the parking situation becomes really bad that people clamor for public transportation (which would be my wish). It certainly hasn’t worked in the Short North.

If I recall correctly, some of the strongest support for the Streetcar came from within the service area, including the Short North. The opposition was external.

Damn suburbanites! I stand corrected.

cyclist II
    Participant

labi
    Participant

osuhomebase wrote Why would landlords waste time and money competing with newer facilities that are closer to campus when they could just cater to a new audience that’s right down the street anyway?

Because rents on campus are so much higher than in Weinland Park. If campus landlords wanted to rent to low-income families, they would be doing so already.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

This study was conducting in NYC, but still worth consideration for urban density issues in other cities:

Parking Minimums Make NYC Housing More Expensive, NYU Report Finds
    by Noah Kazis on February 11, 2011

Thanks to new research from NYU’s Furman Center for Real Estate and Urban Policy, one underlying reason for the high cost of New York City housing is crystal clear: The mandatory parking minimums in the city’s zoning law, first established more than half a century ago. The evidence is more solid than ever that the city’s parking minimums are a major factor making New York City less affordable.

The report, “Minimum Parking Requirements and Housing Affordability in New York City,” shows for the first time the extent to which parking minimums actually affect New York City developers. Data compiled by authors Simon McDonnell, Josiah Madar and Vicki Been indicates that in many cases, they only build as much parking as they are required to by law.

READ MORE: http://www.streetsblog.org/2011/02/11/parking-minimums-make-nyc-housing-more-expensive-nyu-report-finds/

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

Not sure about the objectivity of the study. Campus Housing is not expensive, a price increase would be welcome especially in south campus. Maybe the landlords should focus on improving the housing stock, better code enforcement by the city would be swell. What is to keep these new projects from building below ground parking garages.

Pablo
    Participant

lazyfish wrote >>
    What is to keep these new projects from building below ground parking garages.

Cost.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

Pablo wrote >>

lazyfish wrote >>

Cost.

Yeah I get that, but if they want to build higher density housing they should build the supporting infrastructure. Using on street parking increases the free rider issues. Many of these new units have all the modern amenities, don’t you think off street parking makes them more marketable. Most grown-ups are looking for off street parking, why would we assume that college kids would not want it also? plus it is a safety boon, not to have to park and walk home.

Pablo
    Participant

lazyfish wrote >>

Pablo wrote >>

lazyfish wrote >>

Cost.

Yeah I get that, but if they want to build higher density housing they should build the supporting infrastructure. Using on street parking increases the free rider issues. Many of these new units have all the modern amenities, don’t you think off street parking makes them more marketable. Most grown-ups are looking for off street parking, why would we assume that college kids would not want it also? plus it is a safety boon, not to have to park and walk home.

Sure, in a perfect world. But cost is the reason Edwards is trying to reduce parking.

johnwirtz
    Participant

lazyfish wrote >>

Pablo wrote >>

lazyfish wrote >>

Cost.

College kids probably do want it, but they might not be able to afford to pay the rent that would be required for the developer to recoup the cost. There’s lot of stuff I want that I can’t afford.

ETA: Lots of interesting data here:
    http://www.vtpi.org/tca/tca0504.pdf

How much do you think students would be willing to pay per month for off-street parking when they walk to most of their daily needs and can take transit for most others?

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

High Density developments create strain on the infrastructure, which on campus is not in great shape. Developers are in it for the cash, not for the public good, they ought to compromise, or follow the zoning regulations, instead of complaining about the neighborhood standards/zoning. The rents from high density are huge compared to what they would be from single family units. When you add the rents over time, they are making a killing. From malls to warehousing of students, not a big leap for Edwards, the difference, the malls are full of parking

johnwirtz
    Participant

I think I see the origin of our difference of opinion. You like minimum parking standards as used in the current zoning and I think the market should dictate parking standards, especially near frequent transit[/url]. We’re not going to come to an agreement on this, but that’s okay.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

public transit and walking are negatives in that the students’ cars will be parked on the street for weeks at a time before being moved. There are cars on campus that are rarely moved except on the weekends and on breaks, add in the commuters looking for free spaces in the neighborhood and parking is a nightmare for those of us who live fulltime in the neighborhood and are forced to compete for parking spaces with the kiddos and their friends who come over after classes to drink/goof off.

Most of the kids have cars, they drive to campus from out of town or across town and park. Why not park on your own property????

there is no market solution,it is a free rider problem with on street parking. This is why more neighborhood streets are going permit parking… many campus landlords actually rent their garages to non-tenants, making for an even greater mess.

johnwirtz
    Participant

lazyfish wrote >>
    public transit and walking are negatives in that the students’ cars will be parked on the street for weeks at a time before being moved. There are cars on campus that are rarely moved except on the weekends and on breaks, add in the commuters looking for free spaces in the neighborhood and parking is a nightmare for those of us who live fulltime in the neighborhood and are forced to compete for parking spaces with the kiddos and their friends who come over after classes to drink/goof off.
    Most of the kids have cars, they drive to campus from out of town or across town and park. Why not park on your own property????
    there is no market solution,it is a free rider problem with on street parking. This is why more neighborhood streets are going permit parking… many campus landlords actually rent their garages to non-tenants, making for an even greater mess.

I see where this is coming from now. You live in the densest neighborhood of the nation’s 16th largest city, but still expect to store 2000+ pounds of private property in the public right-of-way with minimal personal cost and inconvenience, even if it means everyone else in the neighborhood has to pay $200 extra a month for underground parking. I don’t get that.

There is a market solution. If you give away pizza for $0.10, you’ll have a line for pizza. If you give away parking for $25 a year, you’ll have too much demand for the supply. If parking were priced higher, demand would be reduced to match supply.

There is a second solution too. If you don’t like living on campus, where there are lots of kiddos who like to goof off, move away from campus.

cyclist II
    Participant

Pizzutti should build the Joseph at this site.

futureman
    Participant

And it’s gone for now …

OSU-area apartment plan idled
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 03:06 AM
    BY JIM WEIKER
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

A controversial proposal for a large student housing complex next to Ohio State University has been shelved as the developer weighs options for the site.

READ MORE:
    http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/business/stories/2011/04/27/osu-area-apartment-plan-idled.html?sid=101

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 94 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!