Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Proposed Campus Development

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Proposed Campus Development

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 94 total)
  • Author

Cookie

gramarye wrote >>
    True, but that doesn’t necessarily justify a 1:1 car ratio.

I was responding to the “students don’t need cars” statements.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Cookie wrote >>

gramarye wrote >>

IMO at least a strong minority of students at OSU do not need cars. Around 10,000 live on campus and around 40,000 live off campus. I would venture to guess that at least 20% of students don’t need or use cars. Even at that low number, thats still 10,000 people. The people that need cars can live in area’s that have plenty of space for cars (ie: 4th and Summit), while we can still let the High Street Corridor densify.

johnwirtz
    Participant

Likes Old Houses wrote >>

johnwirtz wrote >>
    Even better idea, charge for the parking separate from the housing and see how many people still want it.

Charging for parking will just push more cars to on street parking, which the area can’t support.

Okay, charge a fee for on-street parking comparable to or more than the market price of off-street parking.

Antonio

Columbus already does, they charge for parking stickers to park in the area. Don’t have one, get ticketed or towed.

johnwirtz wrote >>

Likes Old Houses wrote >>

johnwirtz wrote >>
    Even better idea, charge for the parking separate from the housing and see how many people still want it.

Charging for parking will just push more cars to on street parking, which the area can’t support.

Okay, charge a fee for on-street parking comparable to or more than the market price of off-street parking.

Antonio

I think you should include the entire campus area in your numbers. Not just OSU property itself.

The figures are probably closer to 25,000 – 30,000 people.

joshlapp wrote >>

Cookie wrote >>

gramarye wrote >>

IMO at least a strong minority of students at OSU do not need cars. Around 10,000 live on campus and around 40,000 live off campus. I would venture to guess that at least 20% of students don’t need or use cars. Even at that low number, thats still 10,000 people. The people that need cars can live in area’s that have plenty of space for cars (ie: 4th and Summit), while we can still let the High Street Corridor densify.

labi
    Participant

joshlapp wrote >>
    The people that need cars can live in areas that have plenty of space for cars (ie: 4th and Summit), while we can still let the High Street Corridor densify.

4th and Summit only look like they have “plenty of space for cars” because about 25% of the residential units in Weinland Park are vacant AND because right now, you can’t park on the relevant one-way (Summit in the morning and 4th in the afternoon) during rush hour. Hopefully both of those things will change over the next few years. Certainly we’re trying, anyway.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Cookie wrote >>

gramarye wrote >>

Well, you were responding to me too, and that’s not at all what I was saying.

maveric1
    Participant

While I agree the UD is very walkable, I NEEDED my car during my college years. Especially for an internship for a construction company which required me to go to different jobsites. Also, there isn’t a construction company that are walkable from UD.

I worked full-time while going to school full-time. I’ve rode the COTA during my college years, maybe 3 times. I used it twice to go to work in City Center and was late to work both times.

I use COTA more frequently now but I won’t use it when I know I have to be somewhere by certain time.

johnwirtz
    Participant

Cookie

Walker wrote >>
    Well, you were responding to me too, and that’s not at all what I was saying.

If saying that students that felt they needed their cars to get to work created that need themselves isn’t another way of saying they don’t really need their cars, then I misread it.

rory
    Participant

It’s pretty chicken-eggy. I’m not sure if the parking situation becomes really bad that people clamor for public transportation (which would be my wish). It certainly hasn’t worked in the Short North. And I really don’t think that the bus is going to cut it for a college student from outside of Columbus. IMHO it’s a cultural issue for small to mid-sized town and suburban dwelling Midwesterners. They’ll push their car to the destination before they take the bus. Now a streetcar might be a different animal.

As for Long’s I thought that was going to be student housing according the latest OSU master plan.

@cc I think students are a bigger disaster than Section 8 housing in Weinland Park. The typical Section 8 single mother is quieter than 8 drunk colleges dudes at 3:00 A.M.

Antonio

Just the opposite is true based on surveys. College students are more likely to try new things more so than your typical person. The students that come from communities that do not have bus service are more apt to try out it to experience it. It doesn’t cost them anything.

Where are you getting your bogus information ?

rory wrote >>
    And I really don’t think that the bus is going to cut it for a college student from outside of Columbus. IMHO it’s a cultural issue for small to mid-sized town and suburban dwelling Midwesterners. They’ll push their car to the destination before they take the bus. Now a streetcar might be a different animal.

berdawn

rory wrote <a
    @cc I think students are a bigger disaster than Section 8 housing in Weinland Park. The typical Section 8 single mother is quieter than 8 drunk colleges dudes at 3:00 A.M.

+1

labi
    Participant

berdawn wrote >>

rory wrote <a

+1

+1+1

buckeyecpa
    Participant

The ideas of growth are always nice. I love the cranes. I love the idea of building up the city but it has to be within reason and also mesh with the area. We all love the idea of new buildings. A concern would be how the rest of campus grows. The large companies can hold their own. But some smaller groups and individuals will lose potential residents due to the trickle down that we could see. That means rent will drop along the outside and possibly see more section 8 near the weinland park and remainder of the far side of campus.

I do love the idea that the run down buildings will be forced to step it up. But I think the owners allowed them to get that way for a reason and they will remain dumps.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 94 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Urban Living Tour returns (with strict safety guidelines) on Aug 30!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS