Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Proposed Campus Development

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Proposed Campus Development

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 94 total)
  • Author

hivner1

jpizzow wrote >>
    Would be nice if this project could finally convince someone to propose something for the old Long’s site, preferably mixed use. Picture 15th closed off and turned into a pedestrian plaza with the new mixed use facing it……could be nice.

It will look much better than Campus Partners’ window signage which states, quite literally, “don’t look inside these windows, go to Gateway! Save our asses!”

I would also love to see the parking lot that no one can park in go away, or fill up with *good* food trucks (not joe schmoe’s hot dog cart).

surber17
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

rory wrote >>
    It doesn’t sound like a bad fit at all for the area. However, I’m wondering what happens to the grossly overpriced but substandard student rental housing that college students will flee from when they move to the new development?

Landlords will be forced to fix them up to be able to compete?

+1 … landlords will only upgrade their houses when people stop living there.

As for the parking, there def. does not need to be a 1:1 ratio and I can’t think of many campuses where that ratio exists today (I know OU didn’t have that).
    Finally, what do you exactly mean by “set back” zoning? This looks like it will be created next to the street unless I’m looking at it wrong?

cc

I think there will be a renaissance of student housing in the area spurred by the increased enrollement at OSU and the improvements in the campus and Weinland Park area. I think that as the Kroger remodel is completed and crime is reduced the absentee landlords in WP will start aiming for more college students and rely less on section 8 housing. I think this will make Weinland Park a safer place and add to the an ever improving South Campus area. I hope there are more projects like this to come.

gramarye
    Participant

surber17 wrote >>

Walker wrote >>

rory wrote >>
    It doesn’t sound like a bad fit at all for the area. However, I’m wondering what happens to the grossly overpriced but substandard student rental housing that college students will flee from when they move to the new development?

Landlords will be forced to fix them up to be able to compete?

+1 … landlords will only upgrade their houses when people stop living there.
    As for the parking, there def. does not need to be a 1:1 ratio and I can’t think of many campuses where that ratio exists today (I know OU didn’t have that).
    Finally, what do you exactly mean by “set back” zoning? This looks like it will be created next to the street unless I’m looking at it wrong?

Landlords will also fix up housing when they think that it will enable them to increase rent by a sufficient increment to make the initial outlay worth it. Granted, that seldom happens in the UD. It has happened in gentrifying neighborhoods, however.

I agree with you about the parking.

Setback zoning is exactly what it sounds like: a zoning requirement that built structures be at least a certain distance set back from the street and/or sidewalk. Applying for a variance here is good business and hopefully will be good for the neighborhood as well. An even better option would be to simply get rid of setback zoning entirely, but obviously, that’s something that the government would have to do. In the meantime, businesses are required to be wasteful and pedestrian-unfriendly until they successfully beg the city for a variance that allows them to be efficient and pedestrian-friendly.

hivner1

So, just so I’m clear, the proposal is NOT referring to the old Long’s site but rather the area between 15th and 16th?

futureman
    Participant

hivner1 wrote >>
    So, just so I’m clear, the proposal is NOT referring to the old Long’s site but rather the area between 15th and 16th?

Yes – http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/stories/2010/08/23/story1.html?b=1282536000

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

berdawn wrote >>
    I think that this will be a good fit but the parking needs to be sorted out. Most of the students have cars; I don’t get it, but they do and to build something like this that doesn’t address that reality is just going to make parking around campus that much worse.

Students have cars because laws have forced property owners and developers in the area to make it extremely easy and convenient to have cars.

hivner1

So… is there any irony in the development going next to the “Former Long’s Bookstore”? Do they plan on razing the whole block and hence getting rid of existing, successful businesses? A development of Long’s will be much more well-received, I’d think. Campus Partners have a block on that block?

futureman
    Participant

hivner1 wrote >>
    So… is there any irony in the development going next to the “Former Long’s Bookstore”? Do they plan on razing the whole block and hence getting rid of existing, successful businesses? A development of Long’s will be much more well-received, I’d think. Campus Partners have a block on that block?

From the same article (here)-

“The extent to which Ohio State will call on private developers to build housing surrounding the campus may be revealed in a housing plan that is being formulated. The university has, however, identified the former site of Long’s Bookstore, 1836 N. High St., owned by its Campus Partners for Community Urban Redevelopment affiliate, as a prospective site for student housing.

“It’s the historic entrance to campus – it’s centrally located,” Campus Partners President Doug Aschenbach said of the site at 15th Avenue and North High.

Campus Partners expects to seek proposals from developers for the site this fall. Aschenbach said housing could be part of what likely will be a mixed-use project.”

The area in question appears to be all residential (though it’s hard to tell). About the half the site is original homes the other half is 1960/1970’s apartments.

Likes Old Houses
    Participant

Here is a link to the council variance application with the city
    http://bzs.columbus.gov/uploadedFiles/Building_and_Zoning_Services/Boards_and_Commissions/Zoning/Concil_Variances/Meetings/2010/09-10/32%20E%2015th%20Ave%20(CV10-033,%20UAC).pdf

As for parking, they are proposing a total of 3 buildings, 153 residents, 469 bedrooms, and only 223 parking spaces.
    In a slightly realted note, the parcel that this development surrounds is 48 E 15th, which is the Buckeye Real Estate Office. They have a request in to convert their entire building to residential.
    http://bzs.columbus.gov/uploadedFiles/Building_and_Zoning_Services/Boards_and_Commissions/Zoning/Board_of_Zoning_Adjustment/Meetings/2010/12-10/10310-00569%2048%20E.%2015th%20Ave.pdf
    Also, it looks like they are moving their offices to 36 E Norwich.

http://bzs.columbus.gov/uploadedFiles/Building_and_Zoning_Services/Boards_and_Commissions/Zoning/Concil_Variances/Meetings/2010/10-10/36%20E%20Norwich%20Ave%20(CV10-035,%20Univ%20AC).pdf

berdawn

Walker wrote >>

berdawn wrote >>
    I think that this will be a good fit but the parking needs to be sorted out. Most of the students have cars; I don’t get it, but they do and to build something like this that doesn’t address that reality is just going to make parking around campus that much worse.

Students have cars because laws have forced property owners and developers in the area to make it extremely easy and convenient to have cars.

I have to disagree with you. Students have cars because they don’t have experience with using public transportation, have no idea how to use zip cars, want to be able to get to Polaris or Easton, and to visit their parents. Most of the time, the UAC works with developers to create a variance that works well. Blaming zoning because they address the reality of the lives of the residents???

I am reminded of a friend who does disaster preparedness: it’s great that we have X number of evacuation buses; until we have evac vehicles that can move civilians AND their pets, though, there is a chunk of your population that just is not going to go.

Antonio

I’d have no problem with a 6 or 7 story building where Longs was for housing. Almost every retail other than food related in the area has failed. Does the area need more T shirt stores ? I don’t think so.

hivner1 wrote >>

Antonio

What ?

LOL

Every OSU student pays a quarterly fee for COTA rides. What in the world are you talking about. Thousands ride it daily as well as the OSU busses on campus.

Students going home hitch rides with friends if they have no car, has worked that way since Henery Ford was building the Model T.

berdawn wrote >>

Walker wrote >>

berdawn wrote >>

I have to disagree with you. Students have cars because they don’t have experience with using public transportation, have no idea how to use zip cars, want to be able to get to Polaris or Easton, and to visit their parents. Most of the time, the UAC works with developers to create a variance that works well. Blaming zoning because they address the reality of the lives of the residents???
    I am reminded of a friend who does disaster preparedness: it’s great that we have X number of evacuation buses; until we have evac vehicles that can move civilians AND their pets, though, there is a chunk of your population that just is not going to go.

cc

I have to agree that a car is a ‘want’ rather than a ‘need’ for an OSU student living in the UD.

Antonio

the # 2 COTA stopos on average every 8 minutes during the prime hours, kick in the 84, and the 18, and the 31 Express. They have enough transit.

COTA needs to bring on the articulated stretch busses for the #2 they have been talking about for two years. Forget about the hybrid ones for now and just buy the normal ones.

Columbus does not have 500,000,000 dollars for a streetcar.

rory wrote >>
    That part of High Street would be perfect for a street car stop or even 15th and Summit. :)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 94 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!