Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Proposed Campus Development

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Proposed Campus Development

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 94 total)
  • Author

buckeyecpa
    Participant

Tomorrow night is an important one for the university district. Edwards will go before the BZA for approval for rezoning the space he is looking to purchase and build located on 15th ave.

There’s both good and bad that can come from approval. If you’re invested personally or financially in the university district you should be there.

I love development and seeing the area grow but this project can damage the area. The project is entirely too large. He’s looking to adjust the required allotted parking spaces and to change the set back requirements among other things.

Financially speaking the project doesn’t seem profitable. If he and his investors end up way over their heads they can easily walk away and sell. If the building ends up in decline it would be near impossible to remove the structure and rebuild.

rory
    Participant

Is this the Provinces development that Edwards is doing there. Has anyone seen any renderings.

And apparently there’s more than one “Province”

Edwards Student Housing[/url]

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Edwards eyes OSU-area housing plan
    by Brian R. Ball
    Date: Monday, August 23, 2010

Edwards Communities Development Co. has tentative plans to build a 469-bed student housing project near the North High Street commercial strip that fronts Ohio State University.

The Columbus developer this month delivered a conceptual plan for the complex on 2.6 acres off Pearl Street between East 15th and 16th avenues to the University Area Commission’s zoning committee. The company hasn’t made a zoning and development application with the city but hopes to in time to get the project introduced at the zoning committee’s September meeting.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/stories/2010/08/23/story1.html

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

buckeyecpa wrote >>
    I love development and seeing the area grow but this project can damage the area. The project is entirely too large. He’s looking to adjust the required allotted parking spaces and to change the set back requirements among other things.

It sounds like dense residential development in the densest zip code in the city. I don’t really see a problem with that.

As for the parking issue, I can’t believe that people are objecting to the requirement for MORE parking for student housing. The 1-to-1 ratio of bedrooms to parking spaces is ridiculously high for the University District and the type of antiquated mandates that are holding our city back from mass transit development.

I’ll need to read a bit more on this project, but from what little I have read, it doesn’t sound like a bad fit at all for the location.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    I’ll need to read a bit more on this project, but from what little I have read, it doesn’t sound like a bad fit at all for the location.

agreed

rory
    Participant

It doesn’t sound like a bad fit at all for the area. However, I’m wondering what happens to the grossly overpriced but substandard student rental housing that college students will flee from when they move to the new development?

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

If the university is expecting all of these extra students to live on or near campus in the next few years, then density like this is going to be required to reach those goals. I don’t see a problem with the parking. Many college students don’t have cars anyway. It’s in a great location next to the commercial spine of campus with many amenities within a short walking distance (which would encourage walking and further mixed use development.) The more dense the neighborhood becomes, the more vibrant the area becomes. In fact, they should allow development like this all along High St. within a block or two away.

As far as profitability, if the units are priced right they will have no problem keeping a constant high occupancy. I doubt very much, with the developer’s track record and the location of this project, that it will be left in disrepair. It’s too much of an investment to let go like that.

It’s time for the 16th largest city in the nation to “grow up” and make maximum use of its urban sites.(not that the project is high, but it is very dense) Hope this passes.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

rory wrote >>
    It doesn’t sound like a bad fit at all for the area. However, I’m wondering what happens to the grossly overpriced but substandard student rental housing that college students will flee from when they move to the new development?

There will always be enough students to fill up the houses.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

rory wrote >>

Landlords will be forced to fix them up to be able to compete?

cbus11

Walker wrote >>

rory wrote >>

Landlords will be forced to fix them up to be able to compete?

Most undergrad students have roommates and I remember hearing that the average student pays around $300-400 for rent off campus (as rents are split*). I think there would need to be a lot more dense new residential construction for it to truly effect the rental market in the close proximity to campus. I also think there are amentities to living in some of the older stock, which would appeal to the college crowd. These would include more percieved freedom, often the ability to have pets and the ‘party’ potential over the more dorm like new structure. The new build is targeted at the more mature ‘graduate student’ demographic.

I think it is a good project and I look forward to more as the University continues to grow.

*I recall paying $200 while living in an attic as an undergrad and being pleased as punch.

berdawn

I think that this will be a good fit but the parking needs to be sorted out. Most of the students have cars; I don’t get it, but they do and to build something like this that doesn’t address that reality is just going to make parking around campus that much worse.

cbus11

Having experienced parking in older Boston nieghborhoods, I tend to agree with Walker on the parking issue. I think we have to accept that as nieghborhoods become more dense there need to be tradeoffs. If the parking becomes more of a hassle we will probably get less cars and better public transit. Campus is probably the ideal place for this in Columbus.

rory
    Participant

That part of High Street would be perfect for a street car stop or even 15th and Summit. :)

hivner1

berdawn wrote >>
    I think that this will be a good fit but the parking needs to be sorted out. Most of the students have cars; I don’t get it, but they do and to build something like this that doesn’t address that reality is just going to make parking around campus that much worse.

Then perhaps this development would be for the “car-nots” and the remnant housing could appeal more to those with vehicles. The 1:1 ratio is archaic. They would have COTA at their front doors, plus the East Residential.

Rent is high because demand is high. I would not expect a problem with vacancy at one of the country’s largest universities.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Would be nice if this project could finally convince someone to propose something for the old Long’s site, preferably mixed use. Picture 15th closed off and turned into a pedestrian plaza with the new mixed use facing it……could be nice.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 94 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!